• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Armed officers on Community College Campus

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x529...d-change-BCCs-learning-atmosphere#thecomments

Wouldn't it make more sense to just allow the responsible citizens who are currently carrying everyday anyway to continue to take responsibility for their own well being while on campus?

I've never tried, but I assume getting "written permission" from the college would be damned near impossible in the current atmosphere...

I guess some things just make too much sense...

Pedro Augusto Lopes said:
Armed security whether be it police or not does not belong BCC, it only increases the chances of something going wrong, especially since this institution does not have a history of violence, and I know some will say neither did any of the other places were incidents occurred. But having firearms out in the open probably will change the atmosphere of students, teachers etc, by make people more paranoid, and on the part of the (security) more apt to intervene in situations even when not necessary or required.

Read more: http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x529...change-BCCs-learning-atmosphere#ixzz2kelVFQLe
Follow us: @Hnnow on Twitter | HNNow on Facebook

I see the brain trust has started commenting early on.

Forget the rest of the hogwash in the article, I want to lknow hoe the campus po-po in Akron is able to shoot and kill someone 5 times (guessing the other 10 times they shot him were to wound)

Just Monday a campus police officer shot and killed a 64-year-old man on the University of Akron campus five times when he mistook the man’s BB gun for a .45-caliber weapon.”

Read more: http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x529...change-BCCs-learning-atmosphere#ixzz2kh9K2s9J
Follow us: @Hnnow on Twitter | HNNow on Facebook

Placing a dude in a uniform w/o a piece is akin to making him/her target practice....or a unic. Neutered and unable to do their job when/if needed most. An active shooter on campus? Throw rocks or use pepper spray! criminals will laugh at the silly badge when they point their pistol/rifle at em. Arm the cops, arm the citizens....let the criminals and thugs fear all.

We had this come up while I was going to NSCC.

The campus apparently has some sort of faulty active shooter alert system that would go off by accident occasionally, sending people into frenzies. The campus only has one exit in or out that you can take with a car, so it is very hard to get out of fast in a vehicle making the panic worse. I wasn't there the day it went off, but people went crazy.

Anyway, a notice went around the school with a poll asking if the police on campus should be armed. Even after all these people thought they were a moment from death they still chose not to arm the campus police - who were not happy with the decision. From what the campus police told me, they essentially are police without guns. They cant even defend themselves, never mind anyone else. The campus police were the 1st ones to admit they were about useless.

Anti gunners don't care. Apparently they would rather die then arm free men.

Apparently it's hip to have ideology that makes you an easy person to harm.

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x529...d-change-BCCs-learning-atmosphere#thecomments

Wouldn't it make more sense to just allow the responsible citizens who are currently carrying everyday anyway to continue to take responsibility for their own well being while on campus?

I've never tried, but I assume getting "written permission" from the college would be damned near impossible in the current atmosphere...

I've actually thought about applying for carrying at our elementary school. I have THREE little girls there and I work right across the street. Our Chief is very pro-2a, if I did get permission I'd be more worried about soccer mom backlash than anything else.

I did try at NU many years ago. Got a polite reply NFW!

Forget the rest of the hogwash in the article, I want to lknow hoe the campus po-po in Akron is able to shoot and kill someone 5 times (guessing the other 10 times they shot him were to wound)

Just Monday a campus police officer shot and killed a 64-year-old man on the University of Akron campus five times when he mistook the man’s BB gun for a .45-caliber weapon.”

Bringing this thread back up because the video is out now and the cop was not charged.

From Military.com
"The Summit County Prosecutor has determined that a University of Akron police officer was justified when he shot and killed a 64-year-old man during a traffic stop in May. No charges will be filed against Officer Aaron Burnette and the case wasn't presented to a grand jury. Video from the officer's camera shows him firing his pistol 16 times."

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know the whole story and therefore will refrain from playing on the "Jump to Conclusion" mat at this time.

The facts, man had a bb gun, cop fired 16 times, man is dead.

From the video, it seems like the man tried to pass off a false id and may have been drunk (assumption). I have never been in a situation such as that campus cop where I needed to draw and fire so I cannot say that in the heat of the moment I would not shoot 16 times, although I would like to think that I wouldn't need to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom