1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Armed homeowner turns tables on burglars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kevlar, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Kevlar

Kevlar

http://www.katu.com/news/local/83271402.html

2. BruceW

BruceW NES Member

If this happened in MA, the homeowner would be the one in cuffs.

3. owningpeoplesince1984

owningpeoplesince1984

Never thought I would say this but man I wish we were more like Washington...

4. jkdyoyo

jkdyoyo

Right?!

5. jpoulette

jpoulette

Ah - that unmistakable sound of a shotgun loading that first shell.

Turns men into mice within nanoseconds.

6. JackDaniels

JackDaniels

Apparently the sight of the shotgun, and not the sound, is what did it in this case. Which may suggest that our homeowner is smart enough to load his weapon before confronting his attacker.

7. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

All the way from inside the house to the car in one jump. He must have been pretty scared.

8. BigMike

BigMike

Fleeing felons pose no threat. (or so I'm told)

Only applies to MA?

9. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

No, it applies everywhere. Whether everywhere prosecutes is a different question. Also, the above is not absolute. One can be fleeing and still dangerous (suicide bomber with bomb on his chest for instance) but I doubt this is going to be one of those cases.

10. Scrivener

Scrivener Banned

Nope. As soon as the would-be home invader fled the premises, the homeowner lost all legal grounds for opening fire. Fortunately for the HO, he didn't hit anyone.

11. BigMike

BigMike

I was pretty sure that FFPNT was universal. Partially tongue-in-cheek about MA.
    I'll probably never hear anything more about the case, but I hope they don't prosecute the HO. That would be a really crappy way to lose your LTC/FID

12. Bill Nance

Bill Nance Banned

Maybe you should learn more about the place before you make assumptions about it.

Yakima is what I consider my "home town." meaning it's a place I have lived in many years BY CHOICE and the one I would choose above all others, warts and all. I love it in Central/Eastern WA and would love to move back.

FWIW this guy's chances of getting prosecuted by the County Attorney range between zero and less than zero. Gun ownership there is something like 90%+ and no jury in the county would convict him. Not to mention that the County Attorney would have issues come re-election time.
    They have a pretty good history of jury nullification there. I've seen it happen on several occasions with homeowner involved shootings.

As for Washington in general, it's a pretty terrific place to live. And the government is accessible and accountable. I've personally known every state rep and personally met on more than one occasion both congressmen who represented the district while I lived there. anyone who wants to can get an appointment with their reps. -Something I can't say for Mass.

It's clean, you can drink the water and eat the fish you catch in the Yakima River without fear of poisoning, and people say Hello and smile at you when you walk down the street. -and no personal income tax.

The only real downside is that the biggest population mass in the state is the Seattle metroplex which is WAY left of the rest of the state. They have outsize influence on everyone else because of that. But they HAVE had shall-issue CCWs since the 1980s.
    Overall, it's a million times better than Mass could ever dream of bing in every possible respect. The weather is better too. Portland Ore is the big rain place. Seattle isn't bad at all and east of the cascades you get 300 days of sunshine a year with no humidity. There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss it and hopefully in a few years we'll find a way to move back, job permitting.

13. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

Depends on the felony committed. If he just killed your wife and you saw him do it and was making his escape- you could use deadly force. Not to defend yourself but to prevent him from possibly killing another next.