• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Armed Citizens Network?

DMX

I was listening to the Gun Talk podcast today and I heard the story of the legal situation this man named Paul Lathrop got into; I heard him tell it before on another gun podcast but I forget the name, I listen to too many. He spoke about how one of his regrets is not being apart of this organization called the Armed Citizens Network. I guess it's a group that helps you legally if you ever have to use your firearm in defense or in other cases simply involving your gun like Pauls..

My question is what are you guys thoughts on this? Is this something I should seriously look into, whether it be this organization or another? I'd like to know if any of you guys are apart of any group like this; I just got my LTC in my hands today and I'll be buying my first pistol later this month.

Last edited:
There are tons of these, and tons of threads on the subject. Most of these are sold as insurance, though that's not quite what they are. The only one I'll bother to name is Second Call, and here's why. It's my understanding that a lot of instructors have affiliate programs with Second Call and, as a result, you'll often wind up getting a sales pitch instead of good information. Buyer beware, and good luck making a decision one way or another.

I would be very happy to know people near me, of every color and creed, that would be willing to band together as a Citizen Militia.

To help us survive, and to help innocents, if the SHTF and lawless gangs began roaming.

But no, that will never happen [rolleyes]

I was listening to the Gun Talk podcast today and I heard the story of the legal situation this man named Paul Lathrop got into; I heard him tell it before on another gun podcast but I forget the name, I listen to too many. He spoke about how one of his regrets is not being apart of this organization called the Armed Citizens Network. I guess it's a group that helps you legally if you ever have to use your firearm in defense or in other cases simply involving your gun like Pauls..

My question is what are you guys thoughts on this? Is this something I should seriously look into, whether it be this organization or another? I'd like to know if any of you guys are apart of any group like this; I just got my LTC in my hands today and I'll be buying my first pistol later this month.

Pretty much a scam. Try not to shoot anyone who doesn't deserve it, and make sure they are in your home and you are afraid of losing your life. Then you might be ok. You'll still be broke afterward, But you'll be alive.

Are you really Sincere?

I don't know. He/she seems a little clueless and a little liberal, but lets cut slack for a little while longer.

I would be very happy to know people near me, of every color and creed, that would be willing to band together as a Citizen Militia.

To help us survive, and to help innocents, if the SHTF and lawless gangs began roaming.

But no, that will never happen [rolleyes]

I stand with Groucho Marx here. I wouldn't be a member of any club that would have me. I have higher standards for the types of clubs I would join.

I'm not a member, but I think Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network is one of the better ones of these. They don't pretend to be insurance. They provide money up front, when you need it for a retainer and bail.

The amounts of money they promise are not huge (although they may give you more from their legal defense fund if your case is deemed worthy), so if you have liquid savings you may not need them for the money. Maybe their help with finding good lawyers, etc., and their educational materials are still worth the fee.

I like their effort to educate both gun owners and lawyers about the law of self defense. The people seem sincere and transparent about how they operate, and they're associated with some names I respect.

Last edited:
I'm not a member, but I think Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network is one of the better ones of these. They don't pretend to be insurance. They provide money up front, when you need it for a retainer and bail.

The amounts of money they promise are not huge (although they may give you more from their legal defense fund if your case is deemed worthy), so if you have liquid savings you may not need them for the money. Maybe their help with finding good lawyers, etc., and their educational materials are still worth the fee.

I like their effort to educate both gun owners and lawyers about the law of self defense. The people seem sincere and transparent about how they operate, and they're associated with some names I respect.

Thanks, finally having my license has me thinking a little more into these sort of things.

Last edited:
I don't know. He/she seems a little clueless and a little liberal, but lets cut slack for a little while longer.

Clueless about things I know nothing about? What's wrong me, how dare I ask a question. And I'm much more on the conservative side of things, no clue whatsoever where that came from.

Thanks for your input on the subject though.

Clueless about things I know nothing about? What's wrong me, how dare I ask a question. And I'm much more on the conservative side of things, no clue whatsoever where that came from.

It comes from you being very new here, asking a lot of seemingly stupid questions (but with a bit of perceived attitude, as above). Bit of advice, settle down and get to know people a bit, before you start with attitude....

Glad to see you are green and hope you joined GOAL [wink]

I see questioning and a desire to learn from those who may know. No "attitude" detected.

Thanks, finally having my license has me thinking a little more into these sort of things.
"Thanks" may be sarcastic?

Now THERE I see response to provocation, and an exquisite level of sarcasm:)

It comes from you being very new here, asking a lot of seemingly stupid questions (but with a bit of perceived attitude, as above). Bit of advice, settle down and get to know people a bit, before you start with attitude....

If I had a nickel for every "seemingly stupid question" asked on this board I'd have a wall in my house that looked like MFL used to.

To the OP, I've wondered the same thing myself, haven't had the time to look into it. If you come up with useful comparative info I'd love to see it. [cheers]

Oh, and welcome! I'm in Chelmsford, a member at Westford. If you're ever in the area let me know, I may have a toy or two you'd like...

I see questioning and a desire to learn from those who may know. No "attitude" detected.

"Thanks" may be sarcastic?

Now THERE I see response to provocation, and an exquisite level of sarcasm:)

If I had a nickel for every "seemingly stupid question" asked on this board I'd have a wall in my house that looked like MFL used to.

To the OP, I've wondered the same thing myself, haven't had the time to look into it. If you come up with useful comparative info I'd love to see it. [cheers]

Oh, and welcome! I'm in Chelmsford, a member at Westford. If you're ever in the area let me know, I may have a toy or two you'd like...

Not knockiing the OP for asking....

Check out some of his other threads and you will see my point, I have had discussions with him in some other threads. Also notice that I am simply try to offer him advice.... Not being trying to be a dick.

Stupid to you and people who've been around guns and other gun people for a while, maybe. But you just said it, I'm new... but I'm respectable towards everyone and express nothing but thanks and appreciation to those who've clarified or answered any stupid question I've had. There seems to be good people on this forum but a lot of you guys come off as stuck up snobs that spend the day looking for threads or people to belittle and think they're better because of "posts" or being "green". For a bunch of, I would assume would be grown men? It's very odd. I have no problem getting to know people but if your idea of "settling down" is allowing people to talk down to you because you have less posts than them on the Internet or they don't think your question you asked was worthy enough to have been read by them? I'm not going to accept that.

Last edited:
Questions to ask:

Is it $$ up front, or reimbursement after?

Is it a contractual obligation, or a discretionary assistance fund?

Who backs the pool of money to pay for defenses?

Can you choose your own attorney?

Does it pay if you go to trial and lose or if you cop a plea to a lesser charge? (and don't think you won't cop a plea just because you feel you are not guilty ... it does not work that way)

Questions to ask:

Is it $$ up front, or reimbursement after?

Is it a contractual obligation, or a discretionary assistance fund?

Who backs the pool of money to pay for defenses?

Can you choose your own attorney?

Does it pay if you go to trial and lose or if you cop a plea to a lesser charge? (and don't think you won't cop a plea just because you feel you are not guilty ... it does not work that way)

Are you a member of any group? If so, do mind telling me the name?

Back
Top Bottom