armed citizens assisting police

I think it would be a pretty good way to end up getting shot at by a policeman around here. Other parts of the country, officials acknowledge citizens rights to self defense. The culture is such that they would expect citizens to be armed. In Mass, jeez, didn't marcia warn us against "self help".

This. Just MYOFB and keep walking.

If anyone was getting beat to death, armed or unarmed, I'd assess the situation and see what I could do to help, even if it was only calling for help.

I remember a story from a few year ago from this area (may have been CT or RI) where someone passing by saw a State Trooper on the ground and I believe grabbed the Troopers gun and killed the suspect before he finished off the Trooper.

Mike

There was one in New Hampshire a few years back where someone came across a guy who killed a LEO and killed him right there.

It's all situational. I'm not going to just sit there and watch an LEO get murdered/assaulted, but then again I wouldn't with a Joe-Blow either.

I've heard stories of off-duty, res/aux/p-t, and citizens stopping across the street from a lone officer on a traffic stop just to observe and make sure they're okay.

Last edited:
The Liko Kenney incident

What a clusterfark that was. Personally there are still a lot of questions about that shooting that make me wonder. Liko may have been in fear of his life based on the officers past actions and actions that night.

from the witness "Floyd says his son and he bought their groceries at Macs and were headed home, with his son driving, when they saw a police car and another vehicle, "bumper to ass, guess would be the best way to put it."

The pair spotted the two cars on Route 116. "It's not like a normal stop, where you see a car pulled over and a cruiser behind it kicked off a little," Floyd says. He says McKay's police SUV was "pushing the guy up against the bulldozer, uh you know, with his car."

The real clusterfark was the guy who shot Liko was no angel. He had a record a mile long, he was convicted of a crime not too soon after, and he was a prohibited person IIRC, but since he killed a guy who killed a cop, he got a pass from the State of New Hampshire.

I for one would not want Greg Floyd used as the poster child for Citizens helping Police Officers.

"Floyd, who is an ex-Marine and a convicted felon, that he is not under arrest and that he is free to leave at any point he chooses. He signs a Miranda form and is told that his son, who witnessed the shooting of Kenney by his father, is also at the state police barracks. "

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1858220/posts

Last edited:
In MA: You keep quiet, eyes open, and you act as a witness in the criminal trial. Don't put your LTC at risk.
In places with mayhem law protection: You pull, tell him to drop it, and put a few center mass. Cops are people just like you and I.

:D

With all the horror stories out there, that would be my first thought. 2nd thought would be how do you really know who the bad guy is. There are plenty of cases where the guy you thought was the bad guy was really only protecting himself, and you just showed up to the scene late to see what was really going on. They would hang you out to dry in MA if you chose wrong.

That said, If I was driving back from the range with a rifle and saw a single cop getting a beat down next to a marked vehicle, I would probably pull over and at least let a few rounds sail over the perps heads. Something that would help but not commit myself to some vendetta from the DA if I chose wrong.

If local police officers wanted that sort of help from citizens, they sure are not communicating it in MA!

Sadly, I think if you're inside the 495 belt, helping a police officer in trouble would be considered interfering with police business.

In Massachusetts, where everything is illegal, it's best to MYOFB.

Back in NV (not sure if it's still that way, we had an influx of urbanite californians) it's a layman's classification of laws where deadly force is allowable from any witness if used to stop the act from occurring. Basically, it's the majors:
Rape in progress, murder attempt in progress, ADW in progress, kidnapping in progress.

What law would that be ?

Or maybe it should read "Statute Abiding Citizen" ?
IE without a Victim there is no crime and statutes just have the force of law but IE are not LAWS.
For a law to be broken there must be a victim and with 90% of statutes in any state or FED there is no victim.

Anyone getting this yet ?

435lac.jpg

IBTL

What a clusterfark that was. Personally there are still a lot of questions about that shooting that make me wonder. Liko may have been in fear of his life based on the officers past actions and actions that night.

from the witness "Floyd says his son and he bought their groceries at Macs and were headed home, with his son driving, when they saw a police car and another vehicle, "bumper to ass, guess would be the best way to put it."

Just watched the video. Kenney was running, McKay boxed him in to prevent him from running. Then in a moment of bad decision making, walked up, OC'ed the guy, turned his back, walked away and got ventilated, then run over.

2nd thought would be how do you really know who the bad guy is.

I know ma**h***ness leads to paralysis by analysis, but dude, seriously? Do you need to be told who the good guy is when someone in plain clothes is beating on a guy in a cop uniform?

What law would that be ?

IE without a Victim there is no crime and statutes just have the force of law but IE are not LAWS.
For a law to be broken there must be a victim and with 90% of statutes in any state or FED there is no victim.

Prove us right by walking into your local US District Attorney's office with a list of the "laws" you have not violated because there is no victim.

Yes, you're wrong. Yes, there's plenty of case law showing the conviction and imprisonment of people for victimless crimes.

No, I'm not going to argue with shithouse lawyers.

What law would that be ?

While technically what you say may be true, the law means NOTHING in this country anymore. Be it the courtroom or the street, the ONLY thing that means jack, is enforcement. LEO and judges, can enforce ANYTHING they want, and they do...

I know ma**h***ness leads to paralysis by analysis, but dude, seriously? Do you need to be told who the good guy is when someone in plain clothes is beating on a guy in a cop uniform?

How do you know he is a real cop? If he is an actual cop, how do you know he is in the right (plenty of cops shoot the wrong guy by accident). And there are cases of bad cops doing bad stuff.

Like I said, it is pretty clear by numerous public statements that the authorities just want you to "observe and report" around here. A cop has some level of immunity if he makes a mistake and shoots the wrong guy. You, in Mass as a passerby, would not be afforded that level of immunity.

Has happened. In New Bedford. I won't name names or anything cuz it was one of my best friends and i also know the officers involved quite well ;)
Wasn't a major incident or anything, relatively minor , but it has happened. All involved had a good laugh over it and some friendly gun chat.
Thazzzit.

If you are required to take a class for CCW in a lot of states like Nevada you are tought to not get involved unless YOUR life is threatened. You are not the police and should not get involved.

As much as many of you seem to want to be hero's, the reality is you CC to protect yourself and loved one's, not the rest of the world.

It would be have to be a very extreme event for my gun to leave it's concealed holster.

If you are required to take a class for CCW in a lot of states like Nevada you are tought to not get involved unless YOUR life is threatened. You are not the police and should not get involved.

I don't care what the hell they teach you, there are certain situations where it is your duty as an American with a spine, to get involved. Some situations transcend law and ccw classes, and what a bleak and ignorant society we would be if they didn't. That said, I'm not so sure how quick I'd come to the rescue of the same person who is enforcing laws that take away my right to defend myself in this state.

I don't care what the hell they teach you, there are certain situations where it is your duty as an American with a spine, to get involved. Some situations transcend law and ccw classes, and what a bleak and ignorant society we would be if they didn't. That said, I'm not so sure how quick I'd come to the rescue of the same person who is enforcing laws that take away my right to defend myself in this state.

Get off that high moral horse of yours. You're suffering from hypoxia.

As much as many of you seem to want to be hero's, the reality is you CC to protect yourself and loved one's, not the rest of the world.

It would be have to be a very extreme event for my gun to leave it's concealed holster.

Who said anything about CCW?

A large number of the stories involve citizens retrieving long arms from their homes or vehicles.

Seriously, many of those people saying they would not intervene are the same people who say that police should not exist. Well, in your ideal world, YOU would have to be the one to intervene in violent crimes, because that's how it was intended when the country was founded - there was no LE back then, just private citizens.

Watching out for your fellow man doesn't necessarily mean that you're meddling in their affairs. Some violent crimes simply demand an armed response from anyone who is available.

[not referring to the above quoted OP]If you're handling your AR when you look out your window and see some guy standing over an injured officer about to finish him off, you're telling me that you won't take the shot?

People who use "MYOFB" as an excuse to ignore others disgust me almost as much as the moonbats do.

I don't recommend running into any dangerous situation with guns blazing, but there are times when the people simply have to take things into their own hands. While police officers may be public servants who are paid to do what they do, they are still fellow men, and by-and-large they are good people who are worthy of assistance. If I saw a police officer whose life was in imminent danger from an assailant, and I had the means to stop it with a relatively good chance of success, I would like to think that I would take action.

Last edited:
Yes I would take the shot, but thats about it.

I will remember what the cops have done in the past working for the gov being just glorified tax collectors at the barrel of a gun.

Who said anything about CCW?

A large number of the stories involve citizens retrieving long arms from their homes or vehicles.

Seriously, many of those people saying they would not intervene are the same people who say that police should not exist. Well, in your ideal world, YOU would have to be the one to intervene in violent crimes, because that's how it was intended when the country was founded - there was no LE back then, just private citizens.

Watching out for your fellow man doesn't necessarily mean that you're meddling in their affairs. Some violent crimes simply demand an armed response from anyone who is available.

[not referring to the above quoted OP]If you're handling your AR when you look out your window and see some guy standing over an injured officer about to finish him off, you're telling me that you won't take the shot?

People who use "MYOFB" as an excuse to ignore others disgust me almost as much as the moonbats do.

I don't recommend running into any dangerous situation with guns blazing, but there are times when the people simply have to take things into their own hands. While police officers may be public servants who are paid to do what they do, they are still fellow men, and by-and-large they are good people who are worthy of assistance. If I saw a police officer whose life was in imminent danger from an assailant, and I had the means to stop it with a relatively good chance of success, I would like to think that I would take action.

Get off that high moral horse of yours. You're suffering from hypoxia.

so you are telling me that if you saw an officer (or anyone for that matter) being beaten by a group of people.....that you would simply mind your own business........after all...if it doesnt affect you, its not a problem.....right?

i dont care if its an old lady or a ripped body builder.......if you see someone in trouble, and you have the means to help them.......why the hell wouldnt you?

......because there is a slight possibility they may revoke your LTC.......well you know what.....ide gladly hand over my guns if it means i can still look myself in the mirror in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom