• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Armed Citizen?

SteelShooter

NES Member
I searched around but didn't find much. I really enjoy the "Armed Citizen" section of the NRA magazine, do we have anything like that on the forum or is it just the different stories that come up in General Discussion?

For the most part, people don't discuss those things on an open forum. Usually there is a court action involved, and most good lawyers will tell their clients to keep quiet about it. It's a good idea to keep that kind of information off the internet. It does no one any good. Share in private with a friend if you want, but be smart... shut up! [wink]

I've been here for three years years, and don't remember anyone discussing an actual shoot they have been involved in, with the exception of a police officer who admitted he had been involved in a shooting, but no details.

Share in private with a friend if you want, but be smart... shut up! [wink]
Sounds like good advice.
The NRA website has all the stories from the Armed Citizen archived on their site, I thought it might be interesting to have something linking those.

The "Armed Citizen" stories usually seem to be newspaper accounts of the incidents, not someone relating their own personal story.

Depicts is quite correct. Most good people seem to not want to brag or advertise about what they have done. Even if it is justifiable, people just want to get over it and go on with their lives.

After a trial and verdict, would a person be able to tell their story?

It seems to me like they would only want to keep their mouth shut for the sake of their argument in court. For some people it might help to talk about their encounter.

It seems to me like they would only want to keep their mouth shut for the sake of their argument in court. For some people it might help to talk about their encounter.

No, cuz they could still get a civil suit against them. They would have to wait until the statute of limitations on that is up, and even then it wouldn't be a good idea.

Maybe, depending on circumstances. The "criminal" part is easy, if the guy is acquitted, or no-billed, or whatever, then that's the end of that; it's the civil part that gets dicey. Some states, under some circumstances may have laws which block civil suits in the case of lawful self defense, too.

That said, even in those cases where the defender is now "legally clean", ones lawyer might say something to the effect of... "Nobody ever got in trouble for keeping their mouth shut.... " and most smart people would listen to their lawyer, especially if the guy just got him/her out of a bind.

If you do some searching, you can find some firsthand accounts of self defense that people have posted. One of them I remember was pretty sobering... guy shot a couple of thugs trying to jack him and his GF up... He survived, was acquitted, no civil suit, but his criminal defense cost about $30,000, and he lost his GF because she was wigged out over the whole thing.. A lot of these accounts don't have fairytale endings, that's for sure.

Mas Ayoob, I believe, has published quite a few indirect accounts of these
kinds of things, as well.

-Mike

From what I've seen from people who have been there, they don't like to discuss the event at all. You never know how someone will react to what you felt you had to do. No one needs to be criticized or castigated for their actions after the fact. It's the same reason many Veterans don't talk about their experiences. Better to keepit to yourself, or other people who have been in the situation, than to listen to a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacks telling you what you should have done, or worse yet... what THEY would have done.

There's a LiveJournal feed: gunselfdefense for self defense. This feed comes from Jar's link above.

From what I've seen from people who have been there, they don't like to discuss the event at all. You never know how someone will react to what you felt you had to do. No one needs to be criticized or castigated for their actions after the fact. It's the same reason many Veterans don't talk about their experiences. Better to keepit to yourself, or other people who have been in the situation, than to listen to a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacks telling you what you should have done, or worse yet... what THEY would have done.

Good point. From what I have read its a pretty traumatic experience.

Back
Top Bottom