Armed Attacking Suspect shot and killed by armed paramedic

NHCraigT

NES Member
If they were armed, I'd guess it was authorized. There is an EMT unit here that is fully SWAT capable in and of themselves.
Most in this neck of the woods I am told are forbidden to be armed. That said, there was a member here a long time ago with the username swatmedic and he worked with a buddy of mine for a large ambulance service. I know that he trained with the SWAT team, I don't know what he was authorized to carry or not as I never asked. I haven't seen him in many years now.

Those paramedics should have recognized their privilege before taking the life of a young Black man.

They should have called for a social worker.

As usual there is a lot of missing information. Why was even one of them armed, especially working for a private service. Even in a tactical capacity, we aren’t armed. It’s extremely rare for a team medic to be a shooter that isn’t also sworn LE. And usually then it’s someone who has that background like a former SOF medic, became a cop and got sent to medic school. But that’s usually only for full time teams which are just as rare.

I can’t vouch for MA, as I don’t work in state. OEMS, clearly states and outlines that EMS providers can not be armed, even with a knife, and that firearms are prohibited from all Pt care areas, even if it belongs to the Pt. If in violation, they can and will terminate your license and rescind your medical control.

Im betting, their service area is so fvcked up and dangerous, one of them took it upon themselves to carry.

Last edited:
If they were armed, I'd guess it was authorized. There is an EMT unit here that is fully SWAT capable in and of themselves.

Don't bet on it. I carried every shift and it wasn't authorized by my employer. You do what you need to do to stay alive on the street. You can't work if you are dead.

As usual there is a lot of missing information. Why was even one of them armed, especially working for a private service. Even in a tactical capacity, we aren’t armed. It’s extremely rare for a team medic to be a shooter that isn’t also sworn LE. And usually then it’s someone who has that background like a former SOF medic, became a cop and got sent to medic school. But that’s usually only for full time teams which are just as rare.

I can’t vouch for MA, as I don’t work in state. OEMS, clearly states and outlines that EMS providers can not be armed, even with a knife, and that firearms are prohibited from all Pt care areas, even if it belongs to the Pt. If in violation, they can and will terminate your license and rescind your medical control.

Im betting, their service area is so fvcked up and dangerous, one of them took it upon themselves to carry.

Given the choice of being shot dead by psychos at 4am, or risk getting fired for carrying a gun on the job and being able to defend myself against 4am psychos, I'd choose the gun 100% of the time.

Lol we all know the dumb anti self defense rules, the "why" is pretty obvious. Everyone on this board understands "why" (well, at least most of us).

Given the choice of being shot dead by psychos at 4am, or risk getting fired for carrying a gun on the job and being able to defend myself against 4am psychos, I'd choose the gun 100% of the time.

This isn’t a common thing. I the 8 years I’ve been doing this, this is the second Medic I’ve heard of, getting shot on a call. The other was killed in shooting involving a guy why severe mental health issues.

Locally, in our service/city provider assaults have gone up, especially in the last couple of months. The severity has been increasing as well. Nothing to the point I’ve even thought about wearing body armor, let alone a firearm.

This isn’t a common thing. I the 8 years I’ve been doing this, this is the second Medic I’ve heard of, getting shot on a call. The other was killed in shooting involving a guy why severe mental health issues.

Locally, in our service/city provider assaults have gone up, especially in the last couple of months. The severity has been increasing as well. Nothing to the point I’ve even thought about wearing body armor, let alone a firearm.

Had this on every shift too!

Back
Top Bottom