Arlington, MA

Good morning everyone. Happy Friday. Be sure to have a productive day, then tip back a favorite libation to celebrate the beginning of the weekend!!! I think a porter or two from Kennebunk Brewing is on my list.

I am likely moving, and one of the target cities is that of Arlington, MA. My Lovely Bride wishes to stay in MA, and yet I struggle to maintain my unrestricted LTC-A.

I know Arlington has a reputation of being a "green" city. For those who live there, is that still the case?

My LTC-A is due for renewal in about 18 months. Given a likely (3.5 or 4 out of 5 chance) move to Arlington, should I renew before the move and secure another six years?

Lastly, the sporting club membership I have in Shirley will be too far to drive on a regular basis. With Arlington as the starting point, which club or clubs would everyone recommend? I shoot both rifle and centerfire pistol. Trap / skeet are less important.

Thank you in advance to all who reply,

Best,

- Brad

I have a co-worker that lives in Arlington, he applied last year for his first LTC and got no restrictions. It took a while to get an appointment but he had no issues at all. Good luck

Arlington is fine.

LTC-A is all they have ever given out. No restrictions

MG license is doable with proper documentation.

Process is painless.

Chief Ryan is not anti gun, but is very aware of the environment in which he operates.

Interview isn't really an interview. They just check you info review app.

I got my license in 31 days in 2012. My wife's took 45 days in 2014. Both of us got an appointment within 10 days of our call.

I know a couple of "traditional" Arl cops. They are salt of the earth "old school" Ahhlington.

I've met a couple of young Arlington cops. They are typical of many young cops. If they aren't ex-mil, they never touched a gun before they went to the academy. Guns are a threat and nothing more. This is typical of all urban PDs.

As far as clubs. I belong to Mass Rifle, Harvard, and Weston Shooters club. Here are my reasons why:

1) Mass Rifle -
Pro - Close - 13 to 18 minutes depending on time of day. 24 hr indoor range that allows you to shoot anything in it. Including rifles up to.50BMG and shotguns as long as its a slug.
Good guys. Active club level target shooting community.
Con - no draw from holster, lots of rules, You can not run pistol classes at the club's ranges.

2) HSC - Disneyland for guns. Minimal restrictions. 17 miles and 25 minutes from Arlington on Sun AM. 40 minutes almost any weekday. (not good for after work.) Indoor facilities are terrible. HSC is ALL ABOUT shooting outside.

3) Weston Shooters Club - expensive. Handguns only indoors, but minimal rules other than that. Allow holster draw. (MRA's excellent indoor range does not allow draw from a holster), Nice guys, you can use their conference room to run NRA basic pistol class with prior authorization. In my case, its across the street from my work. If I didn't have this situation, I probably wouldn't belong. But its a great place and a great group of guys.

Last edited:
I'll second all said above, with the caveat that my sister (24yrs old) was issued a LTC-A Restricted last year.

Mass Rifle Association in Woburn, MA (ten min drive) is nearby and has all you're looking for. Be sure to submit an app soon, as there is a wait time to get in.

I'll second all said above, with the caveat that my sister (24yrs old) was issued a LTC-A Restricted last year.

Mass Rifle Association in Woburn, MA (ten min drive) is nearby and has all you're looking for. Be sure to submit an app soon, as there is a wait time to get in.

I've heard of restrictions being applied to people under 25 just over the last year.

The old licensing officer Sheehan was replaced by Sgt Kiernan. That may have something to do with it.

In the case of my Nephew, I gave him the NRA class. he's a great kid. But at 21 needs a little maturation. So i requested that his LTC be restricted.

Don

I've heard of restrictions being applied to people under 25 just over the last year.

The old licensing officer Sheehan was replaced by Sgt Kiernan. That may have something to do with it.

In the case of my Nephew, I gave him the NRA class. he's a great kid. But at 21 needs a little maturation. So i requested that his LTC be restricted.

Don

I don't follow you requesting his restricted license.

Not sure if serious. Why would you bother helping him get a license if he wasn't mature enough to handle firearm ownership?

-Mike

Wait what? I just got my LTC-A and got stuck with a hunting and sporting restriction. How do I get rid of that?

Mind you I am 21 and this IS my first permit I still don't think that I should have been restricted though.

Wait what? I just got my LTC-A and got stuck with a hunting and sporting restriction. How do I get rid of that?

Mind you I am 21 and this IS my first permit I still don't think that I should have been restricted though.

I got my class A at 21 a couple years ago unrestricted without hassle. All depends on the town police and what they want. Contact com2a or goal. I know some towns have a "we issue restricted first then re apply later for unrestricted" bull shit policy. my co worker in his 40s has restrictions all because of where he lives. So stupid, cant wait to get out of here.

Not sure if serious. Why would you bother helping him get a license if he wasn't mature enough to handle firearm ownership?

-Mike
That's what I was thinking. We're the first group to complain about our gun rights and how we can protect them, now we have green members acting like Red Town police chiefs.

Yeah, I'm going to call them in a couple of weeks (give it time before dealing with them again) and get this lifted.

I just want to carry my Luger.

That's what I was thinking. We're the first group to complain about our gun rights and how we can protect them, now we have green members acting like Red Town police chiefs.
Yeah, rather disappointing. I guess because I got my LTC at 24 ( applied while 23) I deserve to be stuck with restrictions for a few years.

Good morning everyone. Happy Friday. Be sure to have a productive day, then tip back a favorite libation to celebrate the beginning of the weekend!!! I think a porter or two from Kennebunk Brewing is on my list.

I am likely moving, and one of the target cities is that of Arlington, MA. My Lovely Bride wishes to stay in MA, and yet I struggle to maintain my unrestricted LTC-A.

I know Arlington has a reputation of being a "green" city. For those who live there, is that still the case?

My LTC-A is due for renewal in about 18 months. Given a likely (3.5 or 4 out of 5 chance) move to Arlington, should I renew before the move and secure another six years?

Lastly, the sporting club membership I have in Shirley will be too far to drive on a regular basis. With Arlington as the starting point, which club or clubs would everyone recommend? I shoot both rifle and centerfire pistol. Trap / skeet are less important.

Thank you in advance to all who reply,

Best,

- Brad

If you can renew before you move and are 100% positive on the unrestricted, then it won't hurt. New CoP cannot modify your LTC, only the issuing CoP can.

Potential Road Blocks :
your existing city may not take it this soon
your existing city may not process in time before you move, not sure what happens at that point

Thank you to all who replied . . . . you provided me with very useful information.

My LTC-A is valid until February of 2017 . . . not that much time left on the card. In the mean time, I might make an inquiry with my local PD and try to get a sense of how they feel about early renewals.

- Brad

-Mike

Because it is appropriate for family make these decisions.

Reading back on my post I see I implied I did it behind his back. I didn't. I introduced my nephew to shooting. We shot steel together and he was getting very very proficient.

We talked about it. I told him I thought that he needed to mature before he carried. I'm not going to get into the details of why I felt that way. Its nobody's business. He agreed and thats how we proceeded. I gave him the NRA Basic Pistol class.

It was a family decision.

Anyone who has guns and kids knows its not an all or nothing thing.

Because it is appropriate for family make these decisions.

Reading back on my post I see I implied I did it behind his back. I didn't. I introduced my nephew to shooting. We shot steel together and he was getting very very proficient.

We talked about it. I told him I thought that he needed to mature before he carried. I'm not going to get into the details of why I felt that way. Its nobody's business. He agreed and thats how we proceeded. I gave him the NRA Basic Pistol class.

It was a family decision.

Anyone who has guns and kids knows its not an all or nothing thing.
But you pigeon holed him for six years? That seems overboard unless you also arranged for his restrictions to be removed at his request.

Arlington is a very historic place, birthplace of me [grin]

I belong to MRA and I live 20 miles away in Beverly.
The club serves my needs, 24 hour indoor range.
If I lived in Arlington, I'd join Harvard as well.
I wish I didn't live an hour away, it's a great club.

There are lots of clubs within a relatively easy drive of ARlington. Depending upon the time of day Harvard isn't a bad run. Woburn Sportsmens is easy to get to as well. The few times I drove to Mystic it wasn't that difficult.
As for the young kid getting a restriction. IMHO the idea of using a restriction to help 'control' an immature gun owner is pretty much the same as creating a gun free zone to prevent crime.

Back
Top Bottom