• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Arisaka type 99 light loads

mac1911

NES Member
heading out now for a quick test
200 grain cast with H4895 per hodgdon directions . Starting load
180 grain RNSP with trail boss per IMR directions
Details to come
Not the most impressive first time out with thes newest Type 99 in the rotation.
Although at least its pretty close to point of aim Horizontally.

Fun to get it out and see it functions just fine.
Top group is the cast loads left over from past trials. only 4 shots
Bottom is the trail boss and has been the norm for me with trailboss
Wa9f9h2.jpg

Last edited:
Strong actions and chromed bores means you can generally use regular loads in your 99. That said, trail boss and cast should make a nice plinking load. .308 or .311/.313" projos?

Strong actions and chromed bores means you can generally use regular loads in your 99. That said, trail boss and cast should make a nice plinking load. .308 or .311/.313" projos?
Im not to worried about the action. I just like light loads especially when most of my arisaka/mosin/mauser/enfield shooting is plinking at 50-100 yards.
The cast loads are from a 214299 it drops a touch over .312" with current alloy- these are just left overs from the last cast trial looking for some good accuracy for 200 yard matches...being lewft over I can assure you they did not do well.
I picked up a box of 180 grain RNSP .310 with the rifle. at .10 cents each they are perfect for plinking. I have yet achieved any good accuracy with trail boss better than plinking accuracy no matter the rifle or cartridge. but at around 5 cents worth of powder they are great for plinking.

I know it doesn't help being in CT, but there's a 99 tucked away at a local (North Stonington) pawn shop. Probably could be had for a modest coin.
Hansen's in Southport, CT (I-95 Exit 19 area) usually has a few in the shop. They had a Siamese Mauser on the wall (Type 45 8x50Rmm) for the longest time...gone now.
Bring yours down and sample some .22 LR sabot loads. These are .308" diameter, but I've fired them in Mosins and Enfields okay and an auto-loader, too. All of my 7.7 Jap brass is loaded up in assorted flavors, but shoot some ammo and we can reload and test-fire onsite.

Attachments

• sabot7.5MAS-1a.jpg
    sabot7.5MAS-1a.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I know it doesn't help being in CT, but there's a 99 tucked away at a local (North Stonington) pawn shop. Probably could be had for a modest coin.
Hansen's in Southport, CT (I-95 Exit 19 area) usually has a few in the shop. They had a Siamese Mauser on the wall (Type 45 8x50Rmm) for the longest time...gone now.
Bring yours down and sample some .22 LR sabot loads. These are .308" diameter, but I've fired them in Mosins and Enfields okay and an auto-loader, too. All of my 7.7 Jap brass is loaded up in assorted flavors, but shoot some ammo and we can reload and test-fire onsite.
its hard enough for me to get to 3 clubs with in 20 minutes of my home! thanks for the offer though.

For cast bullet loads I use 5744 in all my bottlenecked cases and all but one of my straight walled cases. That one is .38/55 in which I use IMR4227.

In the 30 cals about 1600 fps, in the .38/55 and .45 cals about 1300 fps
If I see some locally I might try it. Im pushing jacketed 310s through the arisaka maxed out on powder charge with trailboss., Dont think Im getting the velocity needed for better accuracy. I think closer to 1900 Fps would help.

I use .311 jacketed because I have a bunch of them. I bought some .312 Hornady Match for use in a mosin sniper and I'll try some in the Arisaka.

Trailboss with a lead 200gr cast bullet. Lubed and gas checked. Next up is trying to powdercoat them.

Sight goes at the 300m? setting to get close to zero.

Tried 4895 and had squibs and hangfires. I have plenty of trailboss so I will just use that.

Trailboss with a lead 200gr cast bullet. Lubed and gas checked. Next up is trying to powdercoat them.

Sight goes at the 300m? setting to get close to zero.

Tried 4895 and had squibs and hangfires. I have plenty of trailboss so I will just use that.
How light of a charge where you running with on H4895.
I have not tried coated cast yet.
Im probably going back to 2400 for the cast loads.

With my trailboss loads, I had to move the site to the 600m setting on my 03A3 at 100 yards. LOT of drop.
How many grains? Thats the problem with trailboss very limitted on what you can get for velocity. I think your maxed out around 17 grains with trail boss.
But 600 mark is about right for most 150-200 grain loads under 1800fps depends on the front sight and your Point of Aim vs Point of Impact. 400-600 ish
I assume your running 168s?
I feel trailboss is a touchy powder when it comes to case volume= you need to get right up to the base of the bullet with out compressing it. I have not ran any trailboss loads over the crony but I think when I do I will see some large swings in velocity.

Last edited:
How many grains? Thats the problem with trailboss very limitted on what you can get for velocity. I think your maxed out around 17 grains with trail boss.
But 600 mark is about right for most 150-200 grain loads under 1800fps depends on the front sight and your Point of Aim vs Point of Impact. 400-600 ish
I assume your running 168s?
I feel trailboss is a touchy powder when it comes to case volume= you need to get right up to the base of the bullet with out compressing it. I have not ran any trailboss loads over the crony but I think when I do I will see some large swings in velocity.
With the Nosler 168's I was using 14 grains. Using the coated gas checked 170 gr bullets, I found 12.5 grains to give good accuracy. Didn't see a change when I increased the charge weight.

I chronoed the 12.5 gr loads in January 2018 and they were averaging 1300 and 17 grains averaged 1575 - these were the 170 gr coated bullets. I'm sure they'd be a little faster in the summer heat.
Glad you posted about the min-mid charges as I thought the complete opposite would be true (near max charges)

Originally loaded some at 14, 15.5, and 17 gr using the longer 3.25” COL then read your post and loaded some at 12.5 gr.

Went to the range yesterday and it was obvious that the lower charge weight loads (12.5 gr) were more accurate. Now I just need to load some at 13 and 13.5 gr to see if it gets any better but I’m not sure I really need to.
12.5 gr at 50 yards 3-shot group:
View attachment 218972

The groups from the remaining loads, all opened up to 3-3.5”. I was in a rush and there were a couple other shooters so I didn’t have a chance to run a target down to the 100 yard but I had no issues hitting detergent bottles at the 120 yard berm. Seeing that 50 yard group I’m sure it will group decent at 100...

I also chronoed all of the loads and the 12.5 gr loads were averaging 1300 fps. 17 gr averaged 1575 fps.

Can't remember if there were large swings in velocity. Didn't take any notes....

With the Nosler 168's I was using 14 grains. Using the coated gas checked 170 gr bullets, I found 12.5 grains to give good accuracy. Didn't see a change when I increased the charge weight.

I chronoed the 12.5 gr loads in January 2018 and they were averaging 1300 and 17 grains averaged 1575 - these were the 170 gr coated bullets. I'm sure they'd be a little faster in the summer heat.

Can't remember if there were large swings in velocity. Didn't take any notes....
thats light, 1600 fps gets 170ish grain cast load I use into the 10 ring at 200 yards. fun stuff

Back
Top Bottom