1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Argument at Holyoke car dealership left customer Aribertic Rodriguez dead

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reptile, May 18, 2019.

1. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

HOLYOKE — What’s clear from court documents on the death of Aribertic Rodriguez is that the 20-year-old went to a Jackson Street used car dealership Tuesday to buy a vehicle.

But what isn’t clear is how or why the transaction ended in a violent confrontation, with an employee at Dock’s Classics — Paul F. Paradzinski, 67 — allegedly shooting and killing Rodriguez after an argument broke out and the younger man allegedly punched him in the face. Witnesses said Rodriguez was shot as he ran away.

Victim shot and killed after violent confrontation at car dealership, court papers say

Victim shot as he ran away.

2. Kicker96FS

Kicker96FS NES Member

Well, he is a used car salesman.............

BigTimber, xjma99 and xtry51 like this.
  3. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

Punching someone in the face, running away, and getting shot are not successful negotiation tactics, and shooting customers is not a good way to develop life-long, loyal customer relationships [laugh]

StevieP, Bt74, xjma99 and 7 others like this.
  4. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

5. looser38

looser38 NES Member

This is why I hate car shopping, used or new, it just sucks.

xjma99 and C. Stockwell like this.
  6. Coda

Coda NES Member

I don’t know….. Sounds like the victim was not alone when he went to the used car lot, so were the “witnesses” his buddy’s? The surveillance video shows two guys running away but they do not mention video of the actual shooting.

“He had a wound near the rear of his left bicep and was pronounced dead at Baystate Medical Center” One might assume when you hear “rear” that the victim may have been in retreat, or maybe he was shot in the rear of his arm while taking a swing. I know that in MA for a good self defense shoot you really need to try and retreat yourself before shooting but maybe this guy had no where to go. To me the details are too sketchy to jump to conclusions at this point. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. Of course if somehow it does turn out to be a good shoot the local media will be sure we hear no more about it.

Evadd likes this.
  7. Penniepup1

Penniepup1 NES Member

Used car salesmen are tough negotiators, maybe a little too good. Hope the kid got undercoating in the deal.

8. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Where the shooter is going to get jammed up is the "fleeing" part.

Once someone is fleeing, one could argue that they were not longer an immediate threat.

If he had dropped the kid after the punch, especially if he could claim it was 3 on one and he was in fear, the escalation of force would have been justified IMHO, but taking a shot after the fact.... he's screwed. It will probably get plead down to Second degree murder as there was no pre-meditation ( from all indications) but you are now 67 +++ year old and counting on prison medical services to survive, assuming one of the kids friends doesn't get to him first.

richc likes this.
  9. EJFudd

EJFudd NES Member

God bless Holyoke. At least the old man is still alive, which he probably wouldn't be if he weren't armed. Too bad that 3 of the 4 perps got away unharmed only to come back and smash all the dealership's cars to pieces. [thinking]

10. hillman

hillman NES Member

Carvana. The delivery guy never once shot me.

drgrant likes this.
  11. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

The comments are great:

He'll never be found guilty. He got clobbered and could not tell what was happening after but he fired his gun to defend himself.
    It's a racial issue so it will go to court to prevent riots.

12. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

Shooting someone after being assaulted and the person runs away only works for the police.

xjma99 and Jason Flare like this.
  13. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

I bet there is a good bit more to the story than the readers digest version.
    The youngsters should remember the rule about fighting an old man.
    Don't.
    If he's too tired to fight , he'll just kill you.

14. nutsym16

nutsym16 NES Member

Not undercoating but undertaking

falcon123 and xjma99 like this.
  15. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

Customer requested Weathertech mats.

Ended up in a body bag.

xjma99 likes this.
  16. xtry51

xtry51 NES Member

Holyoke. The whole greater Springfield area is a shithole.

EJFudd likes this.
  17. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain NES Member

If I'm 67 years old and 4 20 somethings show up and start wailing on me... That's deadly force to me, and I'm in fear for my life. Good shoot.

BigTimber, xtry51 and EJFudd like this.
  18. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Hopefully nobody bled all over any upholstery!

19. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

Maybe the assailant was running to his car to get his gun. Justifiable shooting? :emoji_confused:

xjma99 likes this.
  20. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

Judging by his picture on the button, with huge rings on every finger, heavy gold chains on wrists and neck, "harry" was an upstanding "gangsta citizen" and turning his life around. He was a good boy, a very good boy.

EJFudd likes this.
  21. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

If a sworn law enforcement officer can not shoot a fleeing felon without probable cause, to wit knowing that letting them go is going to be a danger to the public, you would have a hard time as a defense attorney arguing before a Judge that your civilian client that was just assaulted and the person who was alleged to have done it ran away without displaying a weapon was justified in shooting the assailant in the back as they were running away, especially if your client had produced a weapon and that is what caused the caused the perp to flee.

Read up on Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1 (1985)

When pursuing a fleeing suspect, the officer may not use deadly force to prevent escape unless "the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others." It was found that use of deadly force to prevent escape is an unreasonable seizure under the Fourth Amendment, in the absence of probable cause that the fleeing suspect posed a physical danger

22. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

" He had a wound near the rear of his left bicep and was pronounced dead at Baystate Medical Center, according to court documents."

Everyone seems to be assuming that he was running away because of the location of the wound. The location of the wound could also suggest that the assailant wasn't running away but instead was in an instinctive shielding motion when he saw the gun. He could have started running after he was shot. The trajectory of the bullet could prove or disprove that.

23. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

But what isn’t clear is how or why the transaction ended in a violent confrontation, with an employee at Dock’s Classics — Paul F. Paradzinski, 67 — allegedly shooting and killing Rodriguez after an argument broke out and the younger man allegedly punched him in the face. Witnesses said Rodriguez was shot as he ran away.

24. CCW

CCW

25. EJFudd

EJFudd NES Member

I'm sure it happens all the time in South Holyoke... used car salesmen and other legit business folks being punched in the face by their gangsta customers. Probably a daily thing. Only this time, it happened that the used car salesman was a bit elderly, not in very good health... and armed.

Meanwhile, down the road in Springfield, two murders overnight. Such nice cities. [thinking]

26. kevin9

kevin9

According to ubiquitous unidentified eye witnesses, and typical new reporter, two of the most reliable sources known to mankind.
    I think I'll wait for more before opining good or bad shoot.

Anyone else find it a bit strange that the reported fatal injury was a gunshot to the left arm. I suppose he could have bled out, but still, that doesn't quite seem like a particularly fatal injury.

27. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

Depends on how the bullet traveled. Bullets don't always go straight through especially if they hit big bones.

28. kevin9

kevin9

True, but then an accurate report would have noted injuries to both left bicep AND another place (ex. chest, shoulder, back, side, stomach, hip, head, etc.)

29. Coda

Coda NES Member

And it looks likes the “witnesses” were some of his gangster buddies. I am sure they are very creditable gentlemen.

BigTimber likes this.
  30. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

His homies ruined his street cred by saying that he ran away from a fight.

Bt74 and Tweed like this.