ARFCOM is down, booted from GoDaddy

I'm not a network person, and my question may blatantly demonstrate that, but if China, Russia, and others can block certain sites at the country level, what's stopping the US from doing the same thing, regardless of whether we're hosted in Poland or some other foreign jurisdiction?
Technically the US government probably could, but that would violate 1A and be illegal. Amazon, GoDaddy, et al are private businesses and can discriminate, Supreme Court basically affirmed in the gay wedding cake case, not illegal.

Maybe we should think about chipping in for a server?

I hear bathroom closets make great server rooms. :)
Makes no sense - your ISP will easily deplatform you. Same applies to Amazon/Google cloud hosting. That's like an attempt to build an ammo factory to supply the Allies in Berlin during WWII.

"In response to content complaints on the ar15.com website, our team investigated and discovered content on the site that both promotes and encourages violence. As a result, we informed the site yesterday that they have 24 hours to move the domain to another registrar, as they have violated our terms of service," GoDaddy told the Washington Examiner.

Part of the problem is conservatives generally reject the whole concept of being offended by what someone else says.

Here's a simple translation idea to get around this intellectual limitation. Whenever one goes to another web site and reads "Joe Biden" (or variations thereof) mentally translate it to ".40 S&W", and whenever one reads "Kamala Harris" (or variations thereof) mentally translate it to "Hi-Point". Respond accordingly. [wink][grin]

"In response to content complaints on the ar15.com website, our team investigated and discovered content on the site that both promotes and encourages violence. As a result, we informed the site yesterday that they have 24 hours to move the domain to another registrar, as they have violated our terms of service," GoDaddy told the Washington Examiner.

So, by that logic, they most certainly will be shutting down all the antifa web sites that used godaddy to register their domains. Right?

Technically the US government probably could, but that would violate 1A and be illegal. Amazon, GoDaddy, et al are private businesses and can discriminate, Supreme Court basically affirmed in the gay wedding cake case, not illegal.

Unless they have a mernerpaler! Then they’re F’d. The gay cake - anyone could make it. Literally thousands of players.

When 3 companies control a majority, they run into trouble. AWS alone controls over 40% of the server market. Google probably rivals them. At some point, you get so big the rules change for you. Best to STFU and preserve 1A instead of getting a law to limit your business.

But when you have TDS, you can’t understand that.

An internet provider based in northern Idaho, says it will block Facebook and Twitter from its WIFI service for some customers due to claims of censorship.

The hilarious Catch 22 about the Parler ban is that Parler is supposedly responsible for the content it’s users post which means that FB, Twatter and Instagram are also responsible for the content their users post.

Of course it would be impossible to find a judge who would go against Big Tech.

What is NES on?

Lots of posts after this one discussing the topic :mad:. OPSEC, dammit! Don't give the enemy free research.

2A - NFA, GCA. 4A - RICO, civil forfeiture. 1A - "hate speech". That's just off the top of my head. Fixing "illegal" means years of court fights and no guarantee of success.

Maybe we should think about chipping in for a server?

I hear bathroom closets make great server rooms. :)

I see what you did there ...

Unless they have a mernerpaler! Then they’re F’d. The gay cake - anyone could make it. Literally thousands of players.

When 3 companies control a majority, they run into trouble. AWS alone controls over 40% of the server market. Google probably rivals them. At some point, you get so big the rules change for you. Best to STFU and preserve 1A instead of getting a law to limit your business.

But when you have TDS, you can’t understand that.
Didn’t the .gov sign some deal
With AWS that MSFT was suing over?? What’s to stop AWS from f***ing over a government (in a theoretical world where Trump would actually have a second term)...

Unless they have a mernerpaler!
Ermahgerd-Berks.jpg

It's a good day to start looking for a hosting in Poland. I believe they have a bill which effectively makes online censorship illegal.
I have a better idea. Let's amend the constitution and put free speach in there, to make sure you can say and write what you think without .gov getting in your way.

With AWS that MSFT was suing over?? What’s to stop AWS from f***ing over a government (in a theoretical world where Trump would actually have a second term)...
You have a backwards. AWS and MS Azure were competing for the government's business. Trump signed with Azure. Amazon is alleging that this is strictly because he hates Amazon, and not on the merits of the platform. In my humble opinion, as an IT professional who has used both, Azure is just as capable as AWS. in some ways it's even better because it ties in so neatly to your on-prem active directory infrastructure.

Amazon is currently suing.

No tech company will dare f*ck with the government. They bend over backwards for govt business.

Most tech companies would be crushed just by the govt taking their business somewhere else. Many fortune 200 tech companies have 50% or more of their business with government.

On top of that, the govt could easily declare them a terrorist organization or something similar since they are crippling the infrastructure.

Imagine, lose all the govt business, and now anyone that does business with the govt can't do business with that company and they will have regulators and audits up their a** for years. From billions to millions in revenue overnight, it would crush them.

So, no U.S company would dare cripple the gov.

I have a better idea. Let's amend the constitution and put free speach in there, to make sure you can say and write what you think without .gov getting in your way.

It's already done in 1791. It does not work anymore, though. Should we want to fix the issue we must be able to preserve our communications channels to begin with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom