ARES SCR is pretty cool!

groundscrapers

NES Member
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/04/10/video-unreleased-ares-defense-scr-surfaces/

I can see this thing with wooden furniture stylized like an AK would be.

SCR.jpg

On the one hand I want to dislike it because it was (apparently) built to be a "complaint" gun, but on the other hand it does look neat. It's got kind of a retro-futuristic thing going on.

i'd buy it. in MA you don't have to worry about muzzle device which is a plus. change it up all you want, hider or break.

i'm interested as well how buffer works. from what i see there is no way it uses standard bolt carrier. most-likely shorter, cut-down version.

pretty cool. any info on when it goes on sale?

Last edited:
I definitely want one.

I didn't realize until I watched this video that it uses a standard upper. Now I want it even more.

It may have been designed to be compliant, but it looks like they ended up with a winner on all counts. Kind of like a Mini 14 that uses standard AR uppers and mags.

I've got more than a lifetime of legal AR lowers and I still want one.

Don

Can you explain?
Which part? [laugh]

When I say "toggle" I'm thinking of toggle bolts, and probably should say "two piece hinged" or something. It looks like the bolt carrier is two-piece, and the tail of the carrier is hinged, allowing the rear half to swing down and into the tube in the buttstock as the front part of the carrier and the bolt get shoved back. I have the feeling the whole thing is a shorter stroke than is allowed by a regular buffer tube.

ARES-bolt-carrier-1.jpg

As for getting my wife onto an AR-platform, she hates pistol grips. She claims they hurt to use. I don't see how that can be, and I kind of think it's either minor dislike of the ergonomics or major dislike of the aesthetics (the latter being very likely). Regardless, this would get her into something that's semi-auto, takes mags and ammo I've already got plenty of, and will work with most of the same parts as the AR spare parts kits I've got kicking around.

Which part? [laugh]

When I say "toggle" I'm thinking of toggle bolts, and probably should say "two piece hinged" or something. It looks like the bolt carrier is two-piece, and the tail of the carrier is hinged, allowing the rear half to swing down and into the tube in the buttstock as the front part of the carrier and the bolt get shoved back. I have the feeling the whole thing is a shorter stroke than is allowed by a regular buffer tube.

ARES-bolt-carrier-1.jpg

As for getting my wife onto an AR-platform, she hates pistol grips. She claims they hurt to use. I don't see how that can be, and I kind of think it's either minor dislike of the ergonomics or major dislike of the aesthetics (the latter being very likely). Regardless, this would get her into something that's semi-auto, takes mags and ammo I've already got plenty of, and will work with most of the same parts as the AR spare parts kits I've got kicking around.

Ohh my Benelli is like that. Makes sense.

I would in just for the lower and bcg so I could throw it on some of my other stuff. I would like to see this in .308 as well.

I like it. Make it in wood tone and it'd be even less dangerous ...
Might be a good hedge against future AWB's.
I hope/assume it accepts current AR15 after market trigger kits ?
That thing would slide into a rifle scabbard with the mag out , too.

"Hedge," in that the fudds' guns would be up for grabs, and they'd be angering people with long range varmint hunting experience.

The dimensions look wrong for accepting current trigger kits. You might get a few parts in, but I don't think you're going to drop a nice 3-gun or 2-stage trigger pack in.

I was thinking a wood stock would make it look like something out of Hellboy

Back
Top Bottom