Area 7 Steel Challenge Registration Opened Today

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast….

slow is slow.

Steel Challenge is a game where tenths of seconds matter - a lot.
A tenth of a second over a complete match is 3.1 seconds, (((7x4) + 3) x 1.)
Half a second lost on your draw and first shot - that's 15.5 seconds over a complete match.

Peak time in Carry Optics division on stages runs from 10 to 14 seconds with match peak time of 94 seconds. That's for 31 runs over eight stages.

Right now, to move up a class, I need to drop 2.54 seconds over the entire match. That's 2.54 seconds divided by 31 runs, which works out to .0819; I need to drop less than a tenth of a second per run to move up.

Think about that. 8 100ths of a second, across 31 runs, (where my worst run on each stage is dropped), to move up a class.

It takes me about 1.25 to 1.85 seconds right now to draw and put my first shot on target. If I can consistently make that draw and first shot in 1.50 or better, I can make the next level.

Slow is slow.

Last edited:
slow is slow.

Steel Challenge is a game where tenths of seconds matter - a lot.
A tenth of a second over a complete match is 3.1 seconds, (((7x4) + 3) x 1.)
Half a second lost on your draw and first shot - that's 15.5 seconds over a complete match.

Peak time in Carry Optics division on stages runs from 10 to 14 seconds with match peak time of 94 seconds. That's for 31 runs over eight stages.

Right now, to move up a class, I need to drop 2.54 seconds over the entire match. That's 2.54 seconds divided by 31 runs, which works out to .0819; I need to drop less than a tenth of a second per run to move up.

Think about that. 8 100ths of a second, across 31 runs, (where my worst run on each stage is dropped), to move up a class.

It takes me about 1.25 to 1.85 seconds right now to draw and put my first shot on target. If I can consistently make that draw and first shot in 1.50 or better, I can make the next level.

Slow is slow.

Smooth mechanics get you to “fast”.

20 years ago I started shooting steel after 5 years of bullseye. It took me a season to get my first shot on target below 1.5 seconds. After that, it’s simply (🤣) cutting the time it takes to acquire and engage each of the following plates. It got easy with a 1911, so I started to shoot revolvers and glocks to keep me humble and learning. At my advanced age, humility comes more naturally. And starkly.

Not missing helps. Unless you have teenage hand/eye coordination, you can’t miss fast enough to win.

Smooth mechanics get you to “fast”.

20 years ago I started shooting steel after 5 years of bullseye. It took me a season to get my first shot on target below 1.5 seconds. After that, it’s simply (🤣) cutting the time it takes to acquire and engage each of the following plates. It got easy with a 1911, so I started to shoot revolvers and glocks to keep me humble and learning. At my advanced age, humility comes more naturally. And starkly.

Not missing helps. Unless you have teenage hand/eye coordination, you can’t miss fast enough to win.

I read that in the best of circumstances it takes you about .2 seconds for that second shot in the best of circumstances. You're already transitioning to the next target, you have to realize that you've missed, re-acquire and make the shot.

Spray and pray doesn't work in this game.

I read that in the best of circumstances it takes you about .2 seconds for that second shot in the best of circumstances. You're already transitioning to the next target, you have to realize that you've missed, re-acquire and make the shot.

Spray and pray doesn't work in this game.

Apparently, I was not clear. I think we’re agreeing on everything but your statement that it’s purely a speed game.

The “split” time between targets is the only thing you can improve. That “split” happens one target at a time for normal human beings. The world class shooters simply do it faster than normal folks. They do it with almost supernaturally smooth mechanics. That equals speed and accuracy.

Spray & pray is for those who think they can miss fast enough to win.

Apparently, I was not clear. I think we’re agreeing on everything but your statement that it’s purely a speed game.

The “split” time between targets is the only thing you can improve. That “split” happens one target at a time for normal human beings. The world class shooters simply do it faster than normal folks. They do it with almost supernaturally smooth mechanics. That equals speed and accuracy.

Spray & pray is for those who think they can miss fast enough to win.

You were clear enough; I wasn't. I was agreeing with you entirely that you can't miss in this game and succeed.

Transitions are absolutely critical as is the concept of a "good enough sight picture" rather than a "perfect sight picture".

For me, right now, in Carry Optic - the best gain I can make is in a faster consistent draw and first target hit.

I shoot plates occasionally with my nephew, (when we're in the same state). I have to see each plate as I shoot them, he simply swings across them and squeezes the trigger. Watching him, the barrel of his pistol doesn't stop. Youth - it's wasted on the young.

You were clear enough; I wasn't. I was agreeing with you entirely that you can't miss in this game and succeed.

Transitions are absolutely critical as is the concept of a "good enough sight picture" rather than a "perfect sight picture".

For me, right now, in Carry Optic - the best gain I can make is in a faster consistent draw and first target hit.

I shoot plates occasionally with my nephew, (when we're in the same state). I have to see each plate as I shoot them, he simply swings across them and squeezes the trigger. Watching him, the barrel of his pistol doesn't stop. Youth - it's wasted on the young.
Seriously. My son was smoking all but the sponsored shooters when he was 12.

Back
Top Bottom