• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Area 7 Championships?

Hey Danny,
How about those trips to Barry for the Masters? How many times did you go?
Heck, I made that ride by myself for 90 Nationals.
These kids need more passion for the sport............

Hey Danny,
How about those trips to Barry for the Masters? How many times did you go?
Heck, I made that ride by myself for 90 Nationals.
These kids need more passion for the sport............
Nine trips to the Masters, about 24 hours of driving, 3 trips to Second Chance, about 20 hour drives for that one. Those were with Kathie to share the driving. Blue Ridge was driving alone, my butt and legs got tired from that! I think the fact of no one to talk to was worse. That said, I plan on shooting that one again next year. A natural terrain match, some really different courses of fire, stage guns, and the Cave!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdRV_Ybjmk
Dave, if Fulton is too far, maybe you better stick with tennis...[rofl]

Nine trips to the Masters, about 24 hours of driving, 3 trips to Second Chance, about 20 hour drives for that one. Those were with Kathie to share the driving. Blue Ridge was driving alone, my butt and legs got tired from that! I think the fact of no one to talk to was worse. That said, I plan on shooting that one again next year. A natural terrain match, some really different courses of fire, stage guns, and the Cave!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdRV_Ybjmk
Dave, if Fulton is too far, maybe you better stick with tennis...[rofl]

LOL! Hey Dan- that cave looks like an IDPA stage! You even had an SO yelling at you like IDPA. [rofl]

Also, I didn't say I couldn't/wouldn't drive to Fulton- only that the ride was boring as hell. How did you know I play tennis???

That wasn't me in the video. It was a "surprise" stage. It was a blast though, and for some reason, the cave baffled the noise, and you couldn't hear more than the first two shots while you were waiting. Andy hinted that it might be used for a rifle stage some time.
How did I know you play tennis? I know lots of things! [smile]
John's right though, you young whipper snappers need more passion for the game.

That wasn't me in the video. It was a "surprise" stage. It was a blast though, and for some reason, the cave baffled the noise, and you couldn't hear more than the first two shots while you were waiting. Andy hinted that it might be used for a rifle stage some time.
How did I know you play tennis? I know lots of things! [smile]
John's right though, you young whipper snappers need more passion for the game.

Ok- taking this more seriously though. I don't think how far one is willing to travel uniquely defines one's passion... you can trust me on that one. I truly believe that some of the local clubs actually have some of the best stages around- including some of the "bigger" matches. My passion lies in developing my skills to become a better shooter- I don't think that traveling all over the country necessarily makes me a better shooter- that being said I see the importance of getting major match experience. Plus for me personally I have to balance my shooting obsession with other things in life- like my familiy- and they have ZERO interest in shooting. [crying]

Besides- if you are putting me in the "young" category- I'm flattered! [smile] I will see you at A7... I'll be shooting Production.. as they say in the UFC.... Bring it on!

One more thing... I see you are squadded with Gerry. If you don't mind.. see if you can put some duds in his ammo box would you??? I need to fine some way to slow him down!

Last edited:
The advantage of travel to matches elsewhere is that you get to shoot against different talent, not just the same ones over and over. It's much like taking a class from different instructors, you get something different from each of them.
As for Gerry, I think taking his cigars will have more impact than a dud or two. Besides, how will you improve if your competition isn't running to their potential.
Now for the young part. You haven't been in the shooting games that long, by some standards. And, I now have people calling me "sir". Talk about making someone feel old....LOL

I haven't figured out what I hate more - requests for a the match to reserve slots in advance of registration/payment; request to hold slots for a buddy who "will be registering"; or a fat envelope with the check for each entry separately stapled to the registration form :) If the the check is in the envelope, I am going to find it.

The advantage of travel to matches elsewhere is that you get to shoot against different talent, not just the same ones over and over. It's much like taking a class from different instructors, you get something different from each of them.
As for Gerry, I think taking his cigars will have more impact than a dud or two. Besides, how will you improve if your competition isn't running to their potential.
Now for the young part. You haven't been in the shooting games that long, by some standards. And, I now have people calling me "sir". Talk about making someone feel old....LOL

Good points sir. I like the idea of taking Gerry's cigar...even if it means weakening my competition. LOL. I can only control what I do, I can't control what they do... unless....

I haven't figured out what I hate more - requests for a the match to reserve slots in advance of registration/payment; request to hold slots for a buddy who "will be registering"; or a fat envelope with the check for each entry separately stapled to the registration form :) If the the check is in the envelope, I am going to find it.

Sorry Rob- guilty. I appreciate all the work you do in this area.

Good points sir. I like the idea of taking Gerry's cigar...even if it means weakening my competition. LOL. I can only control what I do, I can't control what they do... unless....

Dave, in looking over the squadding, Gerry is the least of your concern in Production. I saw that Frank Garcia is shooting Production.

Dave, in looking over the squadding, Gerry is the least of your concern in Production. I saw that Frank Garcia is shooting Production.

LOL.. Can't you have a little fun with my attempt at humor? I know Gerry and he's in your squad. Who is this Frank guy? Sounds like he might be a sandagger. [smile]

Ok- taking this more seriously though. I don't think how far one is willing to travel uniquely defines one's passion... you can trust me on that one. I truly believe that some of the local clubs actually have some of the best stages around- including some of the "bigger" matches. My passion lies in developing my skills to become a better shooter- I don't think that traveling all over the country necessarily makes me a better shooter- that being said I see the importance of getting major match experience. Plus for me personally I have to balance my shooting obsession with other things in life- like my familiy- and they have ZERO interest in shooting. [crying]

Besides- if you are putting me in the "young" category- I'm flattered! [smile] I will see you at A7... I'll be shooting Production.. as they say in the UFC.... Bring it on!

One more thing... I see you are squadded with Gerry. If you don't mind.. see if you can put some duds in his ammo box would you??? I need to fine some way to slow him down!

Take it easy there big boy,
Some of us have been doing this a long time,
Anyone can be a big fish is a small pond. (we see a lot of them come & go)
Go to more big matches & swim in the ocean.
Practice all you can, some of us old folk wish we could practice at all.

In my experience, there is ALWAYS someone better (except for TGO in single stack)
I shoot cause it is my hobby, I just show up & do the best I can.

You will show yourself your a "better shooter' when you beat more of your peers at a large match.

If your insulted, too bad.........[laugh]
You can always stay home & beat the usual suspects......
It not about the "quality of stages" it is about the quality of shooters you put yourself against.

Looks like the stages have been posted on USPSA.com in the members area.

They are with the "major match results" (they will be in a more logical place once we get around to cleaning up the web site).

It's actually "uspsa.org", but we have registered "uspsa.com" as an alias because the mass media sometimes morphs .org into .com.

They are with the "major match results" (they will be in a more logical place once we get around to cleaning up the web site).

It's actually "uspsa.org", but we have registered "uspsa.com" as an alias because the mass media sometimes morphs .org into .com.

Whoops..good call on the .org.

Stage 4 "Bob's Stage" revo question

Thought this should be brought up well in advance.....

Stage 4 says mandatory reload after the paper and before steel, (not exactly in those words but you get the drift)
well with a 6 shot revo you've already made a reload to put the 8 shots on paper, do you need to make another reload before starting on the steel ??

Inquiring minds want to know [smile]

Thought this should be brought up well in advance.....

Stage 4 says mandatory reload after the paper and before steel, (not exactly in those words but you get the drift)
well with a 6 shot revo you've already made a reload to put the 8 shots on paper, do you need to make another reload before starting on the steel ??

Inquiring minds want to know [smile]

3 reloads.... stinks.

Looks like the stages have been posted on USPSA.org in the members area.

Does anyone else think that some of those stages are a little lame (3,4,5 and 6) for an area championship?
I had been planning on going, I have family nearby and free lodging, but since I'm still recovering, I opted out.

But your reload is not after you have engaged all targets, so you would still need to do a mandatory reload. not exactly a revolver friendly stage

So I take it that's a USPSA rule - engage all targets ? (I've read the book, still don't know what it says)
What if I shot 1 shot on each paper, reloaded then engaged everything (yes the cd does say engage each target with 2 shots,
that probably answers that question)

My only reason for bringing it up is so all the revo shooters will know what and what not they can do,
or so the RO's know what any shooter is allowed to do really (I could see an open shooter go really fast using the method above)
Bitching and moaning to the RO about what so & so said on the internet don't fly on match day.

And yes Lugnut (aka "Gamer") 3 reloads does stink for such a small stage.

Yeah, I did but thought 3 lame stages out of 12 wasn't a complete waste of time. But this year it's 4 lame stages out of 9. We've shot better monthly matches at Harvard, Westfield and New Bedford.

I would't call the stages lame. I think they look pretty good.
Keep in mind that stages on paper almost always look a bit different than what you shoot.

This match has Short, Medium and Long Courses - Looks like a good balance of run and gun and speed shoots.
I'm looking forward to it.

I would't call the stages lame. I think they look pretty good.
Keep in mind that stages on paper almost always look a bit different than what you shoot.

This match has Short, Medium and Long Courses - Looks like a good balance of run and gun and speed shoots.
I'm looking forward to it.

Flattery will get you no where [laugh2]

Paul does have a point though, those "easy" stages may in fact be 30-40yrd shots or prone-to-standing
comes to mind for stage "High & Low"
Not every club puts on the show Harvard does, and yes for an area match/money we do expect a lot,
go or not, I'm sure a bunch of folks will have a good time and a lot of beer will be drunk [smile]

Back
Top Bottom