Area 7 3 gun match at Harvard

Are fixed time, all steel stages common in 3-gun? I think that is what feels so different about the "sniper" stage. In pistol, we are so used to the absence of steel in Virginia count stages (where extra shot, extra hit penalties count) and fixed timers are rare. It is a cool stage, it will just be interesting to see how the scores are spread. I sighted in at 200 and 300 yards this morning for the first time and it is whole different ball game. I'm looking forward to putting it to the test under the clock when it counts.

I don't know about "common," but fixed-time steel stages have been run when rifles are shot long-range. That is why USPSA rules allow fixed-time steel for rifles when it is not allowed for pistol.

Paper is a serious time problem unless you have a range where scorers can remain safely downrange. Otherwise, the travel time is unmanageable.

Comstock steel is great fun, but perhaps too much fun. Competitors will take 5-6 minutes (and longer) to get all their hits because it's so much fun. Unfortunately, this is also unmanageable.

We have been through both of these scenarios at our annual Rifle Matches and learned some lessons.

The big bonus of the fixed-time steel is that without miss penalties, very few competitors will zero and the best shooters will still win the stage. Last year, we did fixed-time steel at the Rifle Match and only 4 of 38 competitors zeroed ... and 2 of those were using iron sights.

That makes sense. Someone could not know where there gun shoots at those distances and just run a Beta mag until they get lucky and hit the steel.

Will there be chronoing?

my dissapointment in seeing a stage with 200-300 yard targets was just the limitations the shooters from this area have to sight in at a range with these distances. I know of only three, Harvard, Copicut and Fort Devens. Of course there could be more, but how many, aside from Harvard, would probably let a nonmember show up and sight in?
I suppose you'd have to know somebody thats a member of these places.

I'd show up at a sharkbike match for sure. But let me just take Beta C mags up for the 300 yards
and yes Dan, the pump gun takes Mags. now if i can just find them again. Must be wherever I left them after Harvard's match last year.

What good are Beta C mags going to do on a fixed time stage with two starts, each of which is limited to 5 rounds, and which the maximum number of rounds you are allowed to fire without a mandatory reload is 3?

I'm not that great a shot, but I was in the top 15% or so of shooters on the long range (up to 340 yards) stage at the NY Rifle Championship based on sighting my JP in at 100 yards and holding just a bit hight.

Harvard will not let a non-member signe in on the 200 and 300 range. It's a tribute to Greg's effectiveness that the USPSA/IPSC group is allowed to have non-members shoot. Harvard members have to take a range test at 200 yards (can't be too hard - I passed first try) to get on the list of authorized users - and are not allowed to bring shooting guests. They 200/300 yard committee is very welcoming, and makes the qualification process readily available, but they are very concerned about the low amount of elevation it takes to pop a round over the berm at that sort of distance.

Paul,
It appears you'll go to any match, any where. How'd you do at the Steel Challenge?

Dan - The match was great - it's kind of the "Mecca" of action shooting - I am going to try to make it a yearly voyage. And after talking to some of the top dogs my shooting plan will be a bit different next year...

Will there be chronoing?

Rumor has it that they will be - Minor for rifle is 150pf

The match has 85 registered, and I have reason to believe we will have at least 5 additional walk-ins. Subtract a typical number of no-shows for a match this size and we should still have 85+ people on the scoresheet.

Steve,
I use the Rugged Gear cart, with the muzzles down. On my rifle I have a chamber flag, but, I have shot highpower that's why I have it. On the AR, obviously the bolt is open, no mag inserted. The shotgun is simply bolt open. If they wind up in a case, I always lowered the bolt after showing clear. Putting them in a case would usaully cause the bolt to close anyway. At least if I did it, no bits of foam could wind up in the action.

I actually have a cart we use for big car shows. I just didn't know how I should put the long gun in it.

Steve,

You have seen my cart but not with the three gun adapter [grin] If you are interested, I will keep it on board. If not, I will leave it home Saturday.

Your cart will probably work with the long guns bagged. Either way, just let me know.
I use flags in both so I don't have to worry about dust and grit in the action. I will have those also.

I sent Steve a message earlier regarding USPSA rules for carrying and storage of the long guns. One item that is clear, all long guns must have a chamber flag. We will have the usual cable ties on hand for those that don't have flags.

The rules require long-guns to be carried "reasonably vertical" either muzzle up or muzzle down, using your hands or a sling. You may also use a case and it is recommended that you carry the case with the firearm "reasonably vertical." You may also use a mobile rack/carrier, with the firearm cased or uncased, and "whether or not vertical." You can refer to US5.2.1 of either the rifle or shotgun rules for the complete details.

The match has 85 registered, and I have reason to believe we will have at least 5 additional walk-ins. Subtract a typical number of no-shows for a match this size and we should still have 85+ people on the scoresheet.

Rob,
Why are only 80 shooters showing on the USPSA site? Celebreties?

Rob,
Why are only 80 shooters showing on the USPSA site? Celebreties?

No, I had a call last nite from 5 people who asked if they would be accomodated as walk-ins. Based on the number of open slots, I took a change we won't have 60 more signups in the next two days and told them yes. I will not enter anyone into the squadlist until I have a registration (ie, $$) in hand.

If anybody cares to hear more about the long-range rifle standard, here's an update. After extended, and extremely animated, discussions with the stage designer, and subsequent approval by NROI, the par-time will be increased from the original 25 seconds. We will be at either 40 or 45 seconds.

If anybody cares to hear more about the long-range rifle standard, here's an update. After extended, and extremely animated, discussions with the stage designer, and subsequent approval by NROI, the par-time will be increased from the original 25 seconds. We will be at either 40 or 45 seconds.

That will help my mobility problem a lot. Thanks Other than that is the description the same??

Thanks for the update Dan. If it makes Frank feel any better, I think it is still going to be a tough one for sure. Actually, having all that time might throw some of us off since we are so used to rushing.

Eric,
I don't believe that your rifle shooting isn't close to your shotgun shooting. If it's that far off, use slugs?

Other than that is the description the same??

There is one other very small tweak. The original design showed one position standing, two kneeling, and one pronge. The current construction, approved by NROI, has two positions standing, one kneeling, and one prone. It's almost like Frank is designing the stage just for Gary. The general sequence of 2-reload-3 remains the same.

Guys- this was an Excellent match.
Thanks for putting this on.
I wish i was a little faster everywhere, but those were some challenging stages.
Great Job

Like Matt said, the match was great. It was really interesting and challenging to shoot all three guns. There's nothing like going from a 24 round shotgun slug stage to a pistol stage. Anyway, there was really no way to not enjoy it. Thanks to all of those people that put it on and did so much work.

I have a couple movies I'll try to get up tomorrow. They're mostly of Matt and I since we were our own squad for much of the day.

Last edited:
The match was a definate success. A huge applause to all that helped out and designed the stages. A special thanks to Dan Hurley for his endless and selfless hours. Without him things wouldn't have been as great as they were. What an awesome match... Every stage was a challenge and a reward at the same time. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did this weekend and thanks again for putting on such a great match. Now we need someone to write an article for Front Sight...

so Pete, why dont you contact the match director and see if you can write the article if they dont already have someone to write one?
This Area has been pretty remiss in submitting articles lately. I dont recall the last timely Area 7 article, and havent seen an Aware match article in years. Sad really, they people who have put on the match didnt get the credit they deserve in front sight

I'm def. not the best writer but I would def. be willing to give my time and help write an article. I think as a group we could write a great article and hopefully we captured some great photos that we could submit as well. I know at this point everyone is burnt out and doing any more work towards this match would be asking way too much. I'm sure there are some people cursing me out at this very moment. LOL But, with all the work that went into this match and how great it was run, all the credit should be highlighted to those that put it on for us and for those that shot the match as well. Just my $0.02.

Back
Top Bottom