Are you "Essential" and why?

speedy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I am a Biochemist. Work as a Field Engineer, and support many companies. Big Pharma, Biotech, Hospital, testing labs, state and academia labs, you name it. Do method development, applications and hardware implementation and education, and lots of trouble shooting. I got a letter that say, you are special, go hit the road and “chaaaarge”.

Horrible

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Pegged as essential. Almost wish that I wasn’t. The 70-hour weeks are killing me. Could use a good month off.

daggrant99

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I own an insurance agency, apparently we’re essential because people need to put claims in, make policy changes, payments, register vehicles (even though most of the RMVs are shut down) etc. Thankfully we can do it all without opening the door to the public or even going to the office really. One of us (usually me) is in the office during business hours but that’s more to get out of the house than anything, check the mail, stuff like that. We could easily operate remotely for the foreseeable future.
Same boat here, mostly from home and nobody is coming into the office!! When I go in door is locked. Note on the door we're working remotely. And the people who love to come pay their bills in the office (who are almost always sick) are going to have to mail then in like all their other bills.

Matt2109

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My company has mandated everyone except Manufacturing work at home. We manufacture medical equipment, and in fact have recently seen an uptick in orders for some products specifically for vaccine research for the Corona! As such, I am an Engineer that supports Manufacturing so am considered "semi-essential", myself and the other engineer in my group are alternating days in the office and working from home, so one of us is at work all the time. All the techs in the group need to be on-site everyday for support, except one who is high risk and working from home.

Massachusetts....

Jason m

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Job #1, I run an appliance business with my parents, not "essential", plus the phones pretty much went dead about three weeks back.
Job #2, I sub contract doing cell tower work, Coms would be "essential" but right now I don't have any work...yet.
Job #3, I am on call fireman/first responder for my town. We are seeing our normal calls so far but that sounds like it could change.
Job #4, I am getting a welding business started here at the house/portable to try and break out of job #1 and maybe job #2.

I haven't been to work in a couple of weeks, ( other than a few welding jobs at the house ) so money is tight. But I am healthy and other than the Fire Dept and the stores once a week I haven't left the house really.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Same boat here, mostly from home and nobody is coming into the office!! When I go in door is locked. Note on the door we're working remotely. And the people who love to come pay their bills in the office (who are almost always sick) are going to have to mail then in like all their other bills.
We stopped taking cash monthly payments at the office years ago so the people who still want to drop off payments are few and far between. We have a mail slot in the door where people can drop off checks/money orders but for the most part they mail them now. And yes, the people who insist on coming to the office to pay their bills are precisely the ones who should be staying home. Two weeks we had one jackass who stops outside the office, reads the sign, then calls and says "Can you let me in?". He wanted to drop off a check payment. Big old dude, big white beard he kept rubbing along w/ his nose (I was watching him on the video monitor). Told him to drop it in the mail slot. He didn't have a pen, drove all the way home in his Mercedes, came back and dropped the check in the mail slot w/ the payment envelope/stub. Then calls and says he wants to cancel his homeowners insurance, doesn't have a mortgage and doesn't need the insurance because he won't use it anyway. I mailed him the cancellation form w/ a return envelope, hasn't returned it yet. Hope he does, don't need clients like this.

daggrant99

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We stopped taking cash monthly payments at the office years ago so the people who still want to drop off payments are few and far between. We have a mail slot in the door where people can drop off checks/money orders but for the most part they mail them now. And yes, the people who insist on coming to the office to pay their bills are precisely the ones who should be staying home. Two weeks we had one jackass who stops outside the office, reads the sign, then calls and says "Can you let me in?". He wanted to drop off a check payment. Big old dude, big white beard he kept rubbing along w/ his nose (I was watching him on the video monitor). Told him to drop it in the mail slot. He didn't have a pen, drove all the way home in his Mercedes, came back and dropped the check in the mail slot w/ the payment envelope/stub. Then calls and says he wants to cancel his homeowners insurance, doesn't have a mortgage and doesn't need the insurance because he won't use it anyway. I mailed him the cancellation form w/ a return envelope, hasn't returned it yet. Hope he does, don't need clients like this.
We also have been cash free for quite a while, but we still get the ones who NEED to pay it at the office, spreading their germs. I think they are just trying to save a stamp while spending more on gas driving here.

gasaman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Essential / YUP, gotta keep it flowin'!

Why / cause my boss Big Chuck says so...

Last edited:

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me working is essentially how i make money, which is essentially how i support my family, so essentially, it is essential that i work.
And now i am cross eyed.

63 Foxtrot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Journeyman Lineman- keeping the lines up and the power flowing 24/7 no matter what !
I’m the guy you hate when all goes dark but love when the lights go back on. GOING HOT !!!

God bless all of the workers of this great nation !!!
Thank you all !!!

63 Foxtrot- Out.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Self employed. Not essential. Still working and busy. I do not deal directly with the public face to face (for the most part).

45collector

NES Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Manager of an auto repair shop here. We’re open but the work has dried up pretty fast. I may be laying off several people shortly but I will need to stay in the office. Or at least on the property. I see basic building maintenance and random landscaping in my near future but I won’t complain. I’m salary so I’ll do grunt work again, no problem. Maybe I’ll finally lose a little weight after getting married and having two kids...
🤣

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So are you one of the Essential? The list seems long but how does this fit with us here on NES.
Why are you essential, and in what state?

I work in IT and we have a lot of Gov, and LE clients, in the free state of New Hampshire
Technically speaking, yes...but honestly....I can work from home as needed. I work for a VPN vendor and business is booming. So, since my company supports "remote users", that is why I'm "essential"...but our company has gone full WFH for the foreseeable future.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Essential employee. Officer at one of the many Correctional Facilities in the Commonwealth. God, I better not catch ANYTHING from work.
Same here........was just issued N95 respirator masks, and gloves to wear while on the job. Most jails/prisons have quarantine units now. Trying to keep the sick inmates separated from the healthy ones. Thats the theory anyways!

Top Bottom