• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are you a Karen or a Dickhead?

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 10.11.35 AM.png

I don't see firearms on the list of things that don't qualify ;)

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to cancel that order of 50 barrels of steam

I've never been impressed with that store. In fact there is only one thing in the house that came from them and that was a mattress and box spring for the spare BR. A good friend got word the same day my dad died about the divorce and we needed to get one for him. Already had the furniture
Jordan's furniture is pretty sh*tty. Maybe the quality is great, but the style is not.

We went to the one in Avon two weeks ago because we wanted to get some ideas to replace furniture in the living room.

Everything in that damn store looked like it came from my grand mother's house. Half the rooms were decorated like an 19th century French home.

I guess their target audience is older people.

They did have some nice leather couches.

I'm solid in the buy once cry once column and go custom made for wood tables and Circle has been very good for us for the other stuff but we also don't have kids banging up furniture.

Many, many years ago my father picked up some total POS maple set that was warped and stained. He refinished by hand with a hand plane and a Craftsman sheet sander and I'll admit he did an excellent job and it is still in use by my mother 55 plus years later. I guess one day I was sitting there and started banging on the top with a couple of utensils in my hands saying I want food!!
According to my mother I guess that was the closest I ever came to being killed by him.

Yeah, I hate buying shit furniture, so hard to get rid of too.

Yeah, I hate buying shit furniture, so hard to get rid of too.
I hate buying shit anything. Even Lazy Boy is just OK these days. We would have gladly paid more for just a little more of a solid feel. Even if an upgrade to a heavier frame and better leather would be welcomed. As it was it wasnt all that cheap.
I realize ‘we’ in this house are not normal consumers but bouncing around kids would kill this stuff in short order.

I hate buying shit anything. Even Lazy Boy is just OK these days. We would have gladly paid more for just a little more of a solid feel. Even if an upgrade to a heavier frame and better leather would be welcomed. As it was it wasnt all that cheap.
I realize ‘we’ in this house are not normal consumers but bouncing around kids would kill this stuff in short order.
I think furniture, when you have kids and pets, has to be approached in 5-7 year cycles.

How much are you willing to pay knowing you will have to replace it in 5-7 years and go from there.

I dont expect a couch to last 10+ years. Even if it does, most leather couches will look like sh*t at that point.

I also get bored of the same stuff. My couch is 5 years old right now, it looks great (no kids). But I am already thinking of replacing it.

I think furniture, when you have kids and pets, has to be approached in 5-7 year cycles.

How much are you willing to pay knowing you will have to replace it in 5-7 years and go from there.

I dont expect a couch to last 10+ years. Even if it does, most leather couches will look like sh*t at that point.

I also get bored of the same stuff. My couch is 5 years old right now, it looks great (no kids). But I am already thinking of replacing it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 48
Whenever I need a big ticket item I go to NH on some quite weekday when store traffic is light. Why would I buy in MA on sales tax holiday when stores will be filled with yahoos? I do live relatively close to the border and might take advantage of tax free days if I was far from NH line.

Also, I wonder if liberals who never met a tax that they didn't like wait until tax free weekend to shop LOL.

Strange year for me. I have a crap load of money but there really is nothing available to buy that I actually want/need. I will be saving plenty this tax free weekend simply due to the fact that I cannot buy anything even if I wanted to.

Strange year for me. I have a crap load of money but there really is nothing available to buy that I actually want/need. I will be saving plenty this tax free weekend simply due to the fact that I cannot buy anything even if I wanted to.
BIGGER GUNS! [mg]

Are you a broad? Its just furniture. [rofl]
LOL. No, I am just someone that gets bored of stuff and needs some change once in a while.

I built my coffee table 6 years ago (that I still use), but now I want to build another one, because I am bored. LOL.

I had a bar table set up for the dining table (one of the tall, round ones witha glass top) but 2 years later decided to build a bar countertop against a wall.

I've never been impressed with that store. In fact there is only one thing in the house that came from them and that was a mattress and box spring for the spare BR. A good friend got word the same day my dad died about the divorce and we needed to get one for him. Already had the furniture

They have both good and bad stuff. It's a nice place to go mattress shopping. And I've got a bedroom set that is great quality I bought there. Carl Fardman sized stuff. HUGE. All dovetailed and well built.

But I've seen crap sold at Jordan's as well. Stapled drawers in furniture and such.

The one thing I like there versus most big-box furniture places is you aren't accosted by sales people. Too often I wander around and some guy in a bad suit and a 40yo tie open-field-tackles me from behind a divan or something. Dude. I'm looking. Leave me the F alone. So I end up at Jordan's just to look and then sometimes end up buying. Sometimes.

Rather pay 6% than spend the day at Jordan's.

Good day to buy from Four Seasons but is anything in stock? Not sure you can order stuff.

Carl has 20 guys on for Sat AM. You need to see the gargoyle at the entrance to get your # then you can be let in. LOL. I wonder if he's running extra hours that day. I didn't look, but it would make a lot of sense. Do a month's worth of business in one day.

(And it's business that, should he track it, was taken from the weekends before and after. At least a good % of it. And if you don't open, you're gonna get 0% and that business is going to go to another store. While on the surface it seems like a deal, I'd bet less than 50%, probably less than 30% of buyers would not have been buyers this YEAR had there been no tax holiday. So lots of work and wages for not a big bump in overall sales. Increase in salaries alone for teh day is gonna run a few grand.)

Don't be shy, I constantly see CT and NY plates up there when I'm giving my self my weekly mass tax free holiday. If they can do it you can too.

Nope, Probably burn more in gas than I'd save and I'd also have to drive thru Boston[puke2]
It always pays off to go to NH at some price, just your price is higher. For me anything over $100 I start saving on, however it's probably not worth the time hassle, I start hitting nh in that 4-500 range.
NH liquor prices have creeped up. Certain brands are cheaper at big box stores in MA. Such as Titos and Captains handles.
I've noticed this too, used to be booze was real cheap up there, now there isn't huge savings to be had :(

View attachment 511836

I don't see firearms on the list of things that don't qualify ;)

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to cancel that order of 50 barrels of steam
Single items over 2500? Thats gonna a shoot down my next 2-3 rifle purchases :(

I agree most furniture today is garbage but we bought our first sectional, a Lane, 28 years ago and we still have it. It lives in the finished basement but it still looks pretty damn good for it's age. It's not leather either and we used to have it cleaned every year.

Where to post this Facebook topic on tax free weekend?

General firearm related discussion

This seems like the spot.
It is also tax free for firearms.

Out of all the garbage threads in General, I think you didn't pick a great one to complain about.

It is also tax free for firearms.

Out of all the garbage threads in General, I think you didn't pick a great one to complain about.

The resident DTE loving skinflints were hoping this wouldn't be discussed so that the line will be shorter at the Emporium.... so they can save 20 bucks on one of like 10 total guns they're allowed to buy there.

The resident DTE loving skinflints were hoping this wouldn't be discussed so that the line will be shorter at the Emporium.... so they can save 20 bucks on one of like 10 total guns they're allowed to buy there.
Then sell it here for $200 over LNIB because it is hard to find, priceless and investor grade.

We are actually looking for furniture. My wife says, "Did you want to go furniture shopping this weekend." I just laughed maniacally and backed away. I did that once before about a decade ago. I think I went to Jordan's the week BEFORE TFW and then had to go that Sat AM to pay for it. An hour to pay. Just to pay. LOL

I'm avoiding all stores this weekend. People get stupid.
When I was a MA subject, over various tax-free weekends I purchased a lot of large items and that is without standing in lines those weekends.

I did my shopping on the phone or in-person a week or two earlier and placed my order/payment for those magic dates.

I bought a new oil burner, refrigerator, tiled floor and kitchen wall, countertop, expensive gas weed wacker, etc. Delivery or pickup was after those weekends as well. I'm pretty sure that I did purchase one gun from Four Seasons that way also.

Then sell it here for $200 over LNIB because it is hard to find, priceless and investor grade.

"Bruh buy my M&Pee shield with a shitty aliengear hybrid holster (you know one of those ones where you goose it the wrong way and it might fire the gun?) and 20 rounds of RIP ammo at the same price DTE sells it, but UR getting a deal because it comes with a wholester and shitty ammo that you didnt want!!!!!"

Total wines and more beats NH every time I compare.

Not across everything though, likely mostly on the loss leaders they have. If you're buying a TW loss leader, they beat everyone.

Also TW becomes basically useless when you show up and your favorite discounted thing is not on the shelf. I have lost track of the # of times I've gone there and there's
no Woodford Reserve on the shelf. Or they only have something stupid like 750s there. Liters, Magnums, or nothing kehd.

Not across everything though, likely mostly on the loss leaders they have. If you're buying a TW loss leader, they beat everyone.

Also TW becomes basically useless when you show up and your favorite discounted thing is not on the shelf. I have lost track of the # of times I've gone there and there's
no Woodford Reserve on the shelf. Or they only have something stupid like 750s there. Liters, Magnums, or nothing kehd.
funny you say that. I feel as though their selection on good bourbon and tequila is better. I usually don’t go in with a single thing in mind however

Back
Top Bottom