Are War Movies Taboo Now?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I remember back in the days where on Veteran's Day or Memorial Day many channels would run old war movies and you could watch to your heart's content. This past Veteran's Day there was only TCM running movies and no other network or subscription channels were running them. Was pretty disappointed and noticed the same thing last year during Memorial and Veteran's day. On the other hand many channels are still showing Halloween horror movies that have been going on for a couple months now.

I'm guessing War movies are now one of those "taboo" triggered things for the libtards and channels are staying away from them. That's too bad as there are many great movies out there that never get aired anymore.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I remember back in the days where on Veteran's Day or Memorial Day many channels would run old war movies and you could watch to your heart's content. This past Veteran's Day there was only TCM running movies and no other network or subscription channels were running them. Was pretty disappointed and noticed the same thing last year during Memorial and Veteran's day. On the other hand many channels are still showing Halloween horror movies that have been going on for a couple months now.

I'm guessing War movies are now one of those "taboo" triggered things for the libtards and channels are staying away from them. That's too bad as there are many great movies out there that never get aired anymore.
Good point. IMHO, I think its the broadcast networks programming to please millennials.

There used to always be some good classic veterans day war movies broadcasted: Like ones with = John Wayne, Audey Murphy, or the classic Sargent York with Gary Cooper.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good point. IMHO, I think its the broadcast networks programming to please millennials.

There used to always be some good classic veterans day war movies broadcasted: Like ones with = John Wayne, Audey Murphy, or the classic Sargent York with Gary Cooper.
Think about how old those movies are. I love classic war movies, but most people under 30 haven't seen them unless they grew up with them.

All Quiet on the Western Front, the original, is from 1930. Unless you're a film buff, you're not watching something of that vintage.

My suggestion is to cut the chord and get Amazon and DVDs or files of what you want to watch.

TrackDayRdr

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're overthinking it - there are plenty of war movies. Actually it's been a very good time to be a war movie fan.
  • Dunkirk
  • Band of Brothers
  • The Pacific
  • Fury
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • The Hurt Locker
  • They Shall Not Grow Old
  • Zero Dark Thirty
  • Unbroken
  • Flags of our Fathers
None of these have a long lasting theater draw but are popular enough to still be on the rental rosters and most are L O N G! Ever try to watch a 2 hour movie with TV commercial breaks? It's 4 hours of sitting. Nobody wants that. They are still on the rental rosters.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Millenials dont watch tv. Broadcast networks do not target them. They target families and people over 30. I guess that group isnt looking for war movies.

My gut says theres less interest in WWII movies, mostly because that generations is aging out. Gen X isnt keen on vietnam movies. And their generation didnt have great wars, hence no movies (though I would love to see an epic tale about the carrier we sent to the falkland islands!).

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Who cares, just watch what you want with streaming channels. My two boys just watched Sargeant Stubby on (Amazon?) and loved it.

That movie was a massive flop BTW, probably cause it's an old fashioned war movie - no revisionist or other agendas going on.

ISOTOX

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling
You're overthinking it - there are plenty of war movies. Actually it's been a very good time to be a war movie fan.
  • Dunkirk
  • Band of Brothers
  • The Pacific
  • Fury
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • The Hurt Locker
  • They Shall Not Grow Old
  • Zero Dark Thirty
  • Unbroken
  • Flags of our Fathers
None of these have a long lasting theater draw but are popular enough to still be on the rental rosters and most are L O N G! Ever try to watch a 2 hour movie with TV commercial breaks? It's 4 hours of sitting. Nobody wants that. They are still on the rental rosters.

Don’t forget Pearl Harbor

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the movie Platoon for what it is: an entertaining movie. Then when Oliver Stone claims "it's based on my experiences in Vietnam" my response is -riiight [rolleyes].

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

yup...all I saw on Veteran's Day was a JAG marathon was on. That is all I saw in the guide....Nothing else.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Midway is in theaters now. I have heard good things, no PC bullcrap

Woody Harrelson as Nimitz? He is not worthy to play that role. He isn't even that good of an actor. Cheers was his pinnacle. And a lot of others who shouldn't be in a movie like that...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Midway is in theaters now. I have heard good things, no PC bullcrap
I saw it (Midway) on opening day. The special effects are great but on the whole, I was a little underwhelmed. I posted in another thread that if I was given the option of watching the original movie from the 70's or watching this one again I would opt for the original.

In regards to the lack of war movies this past weekend, I didn't notice this. There were several channels that I saw showing movies over the weekend. I don't recall specific movies or channels as I didn't really watch any this weekend. I did notice on Monday, HBO was showing all of 'The Pacific'. I did watch quite a bit of that Monday as I haven't watched it since it originally aired.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woody Harrelson as Nimitz? He is not worthy to play that role. He isn't even that good of an actor. Cheers was his pinnacle. And a lot of others who shouldn't be in a movie like that...

I would beg you to reconsider your woody views starting with: The Messenger and Three Billboards. He was amazing in both. And many others.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I would beg you to reconsider your woody views starting with: The Messenger and Three Billboards. He was amazing in both. And many others.
He's developed into a good serious actor. Forget his weed need and his oxygen bar. True Detective. The Highwaymen. NCforfreakingOM for crying out loud! (Do you validate parking?). Shocking how good he's become after years of being the dolt on the screen.

Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0

I have watched the last 4 episodes of "The Pacific" on Veteran's Day( HBO). They ran a marathon.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have watched the last 4 episodes of "The Pacific" on Veteran's Day( HBO). They ran a marathon.
I have The Pacific on DVD and only watched it once. I was hoping for something more like Band of Brothers where they would follow a unit through the war, not a collection of independent people's stories.

Shark_Cage

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I really liked Midway. Seeing the battle from the dive bomber’s perspective was cool. My dad knew a couple of dive bomber pilots in the war and they said the training was very detailed on how to start a run and release the bomb. No so much on pulling out of the dive. Even back then they were considered nuts lol.

loved the CGI the Big E

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
War films are still fairly well represented however the genre that has almost completely disappeared is westerns.

War films (WWII/Korea) may have been the nationalistic/patriotic examples when I was a kid but westerns really were the morality plays that helped develop a sense of right, wrong, and an American chivalry.

I would venture to guess that today all of these films are labeled by many as examples of toxic masculinity.

🐯

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They seem to be.....unless its leftist media using Knob Creek Shoot foot ;)

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Americans are disconnected with everything from where "meat" comes from to where "freedom" comes from...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I really liked Midway. Seeing the battle from the dive bomber’s perspective was cool. My dad knew a couple of dive bomber pilots in the war and they said the training was very detailed on how to start a run and release the bomb. No so much on pulling out of the dive. Even back then they were considered nuts lol.

loved the CGI the Big E
I didn't have a problem with the CGI or the battle sequences themselves. All of that was really well done. Problem I had was it doesn't tell a cohesive story. The movie was too dense. It's called 'Midway', they should have stuck to that premise and told the story of Midway. But no, they had to shoe-horn Pearl Harbor and Doo-Littles raiders in as well. And they did a poor job of it. I think the movie was around 2 hours 20 minutes. If the movie was 3 hours, I don't think they could have done an adequate job of showing all 3 events.

One other thing that bothered me about the movie that kept me from really getting immersed in it was the uniforms. Have you every seen costumes on display from movies in a museum? One of the things that alwasy stuck out to me when looking at a movie costume up close is you can tell, they are not made to last. They are really poorly put together. The stitching is horrible and all the detail is obvously fake. This is especially true with military uniforms. But usually none of that is visible on screen. But for whatever reason, in this film, you could see the lousy stitching on the uniforms. They didn't fit right, they were even wrinkled, specifically during the officers club scene, where even during war time, officers would be expected to look their best. I don't know why but this really bothered me. And I am not a movie snob. I am usually in the lowest common denominator in regards to the movie going public. I am usually really easy to please.

Edit to add, one thing I really did like but I'm not even sure if it is historically accurate was they showcased the unreliability of US torpedoes in the early stages of the war in the Pacific. I've never read about this, so don't know if true but admittedly I've probably read more about the war in Europe than the Pacific Theater. Anyone have any insight about this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom