• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are those Hornady 75gr too long for the AR mags?

paul73

NES Member
I think i just made a first mistake, but definitely not a last one. :)
Could anybody confirm - is this bullet #22791 - Hornady ELD Match Polymer Tip - too long for an AR magazine?
I got 5 100rd boxes of them, together with 10 boxes of 73gr ones which should work - and now it seems it is not going to work for me, ever, as i have no bolt action in .223.
Is it even worth trying to fit it, the 75gr ones, or will it be just a waste of effort?

Last edited:
I think it would depend on what load combo you’re using no? I load 77gr to mag length no problem.
Have you looked up load data for this bullet?

I think it would depend on what load combo you’re using no? I load 77gr to mag length no problem.
Have you looked up load data for this bullet?
yeah, after i got the pdf -
*75 gr. ELD® Match
Item No. 22791
C.O.L.: 2.390"
G1 B.C.: 0.430
G7 B.C.: 0.221

they do not say nowhere but i noticed the 2.390" COL. then looked on forums and people say it is too long unless you cut your mags - just wanted to confirm.
a 75gr BTHP is at usual 2.250" COL, i wonder why hornady did this. pita.

The ELD's have a higher BC for long range performance. They are more elongated than a standard boat tail projectile. You can single load them, which would be standard for such situations as the 600 yard stage of a high power match. I single load 80's in my service rifle AR for that.

If single load for long distance is not your thing I'd trade them.

If single load for long distance is not your thing I'd trade them.
i will probably try some first, and if not - will trade. i think 73gr ELDs should not be much different from 75gr? my larue as i tested BTHP rounds from CMP did show me a bit better grouping on 68gr compared to 75gr, so, i wanted to test it all first.
do you use RL15 powder for your loads? i could not find it nowhere in last 2 weeks time, so got for now only 2lbs of Accurate #2495 and #2520. I guess the #2520 is the one better to be used there? #2495 going to be too fast?

i will probably try some first, and if not - will trade. i think 73gr ELDs should not be much different from 75gr? my larue as i tested BTHP rounds from CMP did show me a bit better grouping on 68gr compared to 75gr, so, i wanted to test it all first.
do you use RL15 powder for your loads? i could not find it nowhere in last 2 weeks time, so got for now only 2lbs of Accurate #2495 and #2520. I guess the #2520 is the one better to be used there? #2495 going to be too fast?
2520 should be good. Works better for me in 308 than does Varget. Much better metering. Usually I load Benchmark in my .233 match loads. For plinking and anything 100 yards or less I'll use whatever is safe, available, and cheap- 748, CFE 223, H335, etc.

Can't comment on the 2495, not familiar with it.

yeah, after i got the pdf -
*75 gr. ELD® Match
Item No. 22791
C.O.L.: 2.390"
G1 B.C.: 0.430
G7 B.C.: 0.221

they do not say nowhere but i noticed the 2.390" COL. then looked on forums and people say it is too long unless you cut your mags - just wanted to confirm.
a 75gr BTHP is at usual 2.250" COL, i wonder why hornady did this. pita.
I might be wrong but they stretched that bullet as long as they could to be ELD
If you compare the bearing surface of the 75 gn ELD to a basic 75gn match

i have seen a few guys split the front of mags to get the “longer” bullets to feed.
Alot of longer than mag length loadings are generally slow fire single round loading even wiith the AR

yep, thx for that, i finally also found a pdf for this hornady manual, just this evening.

Back
Top Bottom