• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are There any Police/911 Dispatchers Here?

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Like the title asks, any Police/911 dispatchers here? Especially in a small town?

The reason I ask is that I just interviewed for a job with my local PD and am curious about what other disptachers may think about the job.

I bet it breaks your heart.[wink] [laugh] I dispatched mid 70's with the early version of E-911. It was fun let me tell you. The town I dispatched for was an island and Seattle was at one end of a bridge and Bellevue was the other.
Seattle was always a pain in my ass. Half the bridge was our jurisdiction and the other half theirs. Seattle would rather argue about it than take care of it. I'd get so pissed at their officers, it was just do your damn job and let me know if I need to send ambulances etc. Sometimes it could be rather entertaining.[grin]

The town I dispatched for was an island and Seattle was at one end of a bridge and Bellevue was the other.

Mercer Island? I lived in Bellevue for a while with the second wife and got to know that area kinda well.

I've handled dispatch duties as a patrol officer and Sergeant a few years back. In my early years, they was no such time as a computer terminal for NCIC lookups so everythingwas phoned in. I thought it was great when we got out first dumb terminal.

But our town was very busy and I hated being stuck inside. Eventually most of the duties were turned over to vivilians. Some were good, some weren't so good. No different than when a cop did the job.

Probably the worst day they ever had was during 9-11 when they took many of the overflow 911 calls from the towers due to our close proximity. The civilians did an outstanding job during a tough time knowing there was nothing they could do for those people. They earned their money that day.

Down side is the hours. 24/7 in most case, possibly rotating shifts/days off.

Down side is the hours. 24/7 in most case, possibly rotating shifts/days off.

Well, I've been there before so I am used to that.

The job entails a 4 on-2 off shift schedule. Currently the 11pm-7am shift is manned by my FFL's wife and she likes that shift. The 7am-3pm shift is open so that is looking like the best possibility.

My interview went very well, one of the Lt's knows me and was quite positive during the process. I also have extensive military experience in similar positions. All I can do is hope right now.

21 years on ...15 to go

Hi Frosty,

I have been a Public Safety Dispatcher for 21 years and love it. Did 4 at PD, 6 at Fire and now 11 years in a combined center. Good people. Good relationship between our personnel and the men/women 'on the line' (both police and fire). It was slow going for a while years ago but respect is earned over time. Your professionalism and attention to your duties is what earns that respect. If I can be of any assistance or can answer any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

-Ted

Back
Top Bottom