• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are stun guns legal now?

Someone more knowledgeable can chime in here with regard to the downsides of actually using the thing in a defensive encounter. I'm not sure the threshold for using one is the same as a firearm.

Massachusetts appears to be treating a stun gun exactly the same as a firearm in that an LTC is required and applying the same safe storage requirements.

Is there a point in a regular citizen having one? Should it have a use outside the home?

Bob

"less than lethal force" weapons are not something I am interested in.

If I am in a position that I have to use a TASER or similar device, I'm assuming that I am in grave danger and using the principles of escalation of force I am going to draw my weapon and discharge it.

TASERS are great for taking down unarmed people who are not threatening, but not compliant with lawful orders from a Cop.
It sure beats beating them with a baton or worse.

TASERS IMHO don't do well with people wearing multiple layers of clothing, typically found in New England many months of the year ... the same reason I don't care for .380 in northern climates.

But there was a U S Supreme Court case that made them legal in MA, with the proper permit

You need an LTC then you can have one delivered to your house.

This is not correct. With an LTC a MA Dealer (gun) can sell you one. And a FA10 has to be done on the stun gun. It is a firearm under MA law. Counts as lethal force. Can't carry with out an unrestricted LTC A, etc. Exempt from "the list" but otherwise a handgun.

I wont sell them because at least at first MIRCS could not handle them and we had to fill out paper and mail it in. F&CK MASSACHUSETTS

Although if you do get wrapped up in an altercation with one at least maybe you won't be subject to manslaughter or murder charges

Company policy. Jack.
They Cited the mass law not their policy...
4fgs03.jpg

This is not correct. With an LTC a MA Dealer (gun) can sell you one. And a FA10 has to be done on the stun gun. It is a firearm under MA law. Counts as lethal force. Can't carry with out an unrestricted LTC A, etc. Exempt from "the list" but otherwise a handgun.

I wont sell them because at least at first MIRCS could not handle them and we had to fill out paper and mail it in. F&CK MASSACHUSETTS
Crap so you wouldn't be able to buy one from out of state from a dealer who fills out the proper forms?

Crap so you wouldn't be able to buy one from out of state from a dealer who fills out the proper forms?

You can buy one from anywhere (in person) MA bullshit is inane MA bullshit that only applies here. Whether you believe in it fully or not is another story. [laugh]

As long as you have an LTC, possession is lawful. And it's going to be hysterical for them to try to bag someone on "failure to register" if the EFA10 system doesnt have a form in it for
a stun gun. [laugh]

Is there a point in a regular citizen having one? Should it have a use outside the home?

A woman that doesn't want to carry a gun could carry a nice stun gun in her purse. Thst thing to the nuts will f*ck you up.

I encourage all women that dont have an LTC to get a stun gun. It will be a lot easier for a woman without an LTC to defend herself in court. (Speculation).

Last edited:
"less than lethal force" weapons are not something I am interested in.

If I am in a position that I have to use a TASER or similar device, I'm assuming that I am in grave danger and using the principles of escalation of force I am going to draw my weapon and discharge it.

TASERS are great for taking down unarmed people who are not threatening, but not compliant with lawful orders from a Cop.
It sure beats beating them with a baton or worse.

TASERS IMHO don't do well with people wearing multiple layers of clothing, typically found in New England many months of the year ... the same reason I don't care for .380 in northern climates.

But there was a U S Supreme Court case that made them legal in MA, with the proper permit

What kind of jacket do you have that repels 380 ACP? Is that why those triple fat goose jackets people wear are so expensive, cause they block bullets?

A woman that doesn't want to carry a gun could carry a nice stun gun in her purse. Thst thing to the nuts will f*ck you up.

I encourage all women ther dont havee an LTC to get a stun gun. It will be a lot easier for a woman without an LTC to defend herself in court. (Speculation).

That, and worst case scenario you can deke or hide it, or throw it away, if you're dealing with NPEs. If a typical chinesium stun gun is abandoned its not going to cause you problems if some kid finds it, etc.

Also makes me how they think registering those things is going to do anything, half of them don't even have serial numbers and defacing the number isn't illegal. [rofl] The only real traceable stun guns are real tasers that have microtags that get fired off and sprayed everywhere when the taser is fired.

The MA legislature obviously consulted Schoedinger on the stun gun/firearms definition.

First, the legislature demonstrates clear intent in the first hilighted clause.

Then, it requires the device to discharge a shot or bullet in order to be a firearm

and finally

Esablishes that something that does not resemble a handgun, short barreled rifle or short barreled shotgun is not a firearm. Last I checked a flashlight does not resemble a handgun, though many actual Tasers to.

From MGH ch 140 section 121:

“Firearm”, a stun gun or a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

I was under the impression that there is a legal differentiation in mass between the type that shoots tethered darts and the flashlight types.
One discharges projectiles and is considered a ‘firearm’ (fa10/LTC) and the other doesn’t and isn’t.

The flashlight types can be bought from domestic sources online and do ship to mass.

This was very helpful.

Thank you,

Bob

I was under the impression that there is a legal differentiation in mass between the type that shoots tethered darts and the flashlight types.
One discharges projectiles and is considered a ‘firearm’ (fa10/LTC) and the other doesn’t and isn’t.

The flashlight types can be bought from domestic sources online and do ship to mass.

These were the handheld ones.

It's my understanding (correct or not I do not know) that you can purchase over the counter in some other state and bring it home. I'm unaware of a requirement to efa10 it here (possibly except if purchasing here in a shop). If any of that is incorrect, please weigh in.

It's my understanding (correct or not I do not know) that you can purchase over the counter in some other state and bring it home. I'm unaware of a requirement to efa10 it here (possibly except if purchasing here in a shop). If any of that is incorrect, please weigh in.
Both. Yes, in most of country you can buy one at a gas station for cash and no one will bat an eyelash. That part you are correct.

When you bring it back, MA considers that you brought a firearm back to MA and that means eFA10 registration should you choose to abide by the written law (in its full idiocy). 7 days to register once you bring it back.

I can't imagine how/when/why not registering would ever jam you up, but that is what MGL says.

Back
Top Bottom