• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are stun guns legal now?

Reason I asked is My boss just tried to order 3 of them from Buds Gun Shop and they said we can’t ship to MA. And we have a 07 FFL on file with buds as well😂😂
I've found that Buds Gun shop sucks , they look at that God damn compliance list and if they don't see something listed , they won't send it.

I just tried getting one from midway USA and they won’t ship to mass. My LTC is on file with them as well. 🤷‍♂️
You can purchase Tasers/stun guns over the counter in many / most states without a LTC or equivalent.

As Tasers/stun guns are not firearms they are not subject to firearm laws such as "you cannot purchase in different state".

30 seconds of internet searching turns up nothing to contradict those two statements. 40 seconds might, so do with that as you will.

You can purchase Tasers/stun guns over the counter in many / most states without a LTC or equivalent.

As Tasers/stun guns are not firearms they are not subject to firearm laws such as "you cannot purchase in different state".

30 seconds of internet searching turns up nothing to contradict those two statements. 40 seconds might, so do with that as you will.
Thanks!!👍

I just tried getting one from midway USA and they won’t ship to mass. My LTC is on file with them as well. 🤷‍♂️
You tried to ship to yourself or a FFL? In MA it requires a MA licensed Dealer to transfer a stun gun or taser or... As a result almost no places online want to deal with it.

Talk to your local dealer. We can all get them through distribution and sell them to inmates in MA. We do have to see an LTC and then do a FA10 on them as they are "firearms" under MGL (same as a handgun)

You tried to ship to yourself or a FFL? In MA it requires a MA licensed Dealer to transfer a stun gun or taser or... As a result almost no places online want to deal with it.

Talk to your local dealer. We can all get them through distribution and sell them to inmates in MA. We do have to see an LTC and then do a FA10 on them as they are "firearms" under MGL (same as a handgun)
Does the "not across state lines" apply then?

Does the "not across state lines" apply then?
That is federal law for firearms and no it does not apply as a stun gun is not a firearm under federal law.

Always break the problem down to federal separately from state law. Like a revolver with a 16" barrel is a revolver federally and a rifle in MA...

So federally they are not regulated in any meaningful way. Go buy them in a free state and bring them home.

In MA they are a "firearm" so fully regulated and purchasable only at dealers or in a FTF transfer with another LTC holder. They also must be "registered" should you bring them in from another state.

That is federal law for firearms and no it does not apply as a stun gun is not a firearm under federal law.

Always break the problem down to federal separately from state law. Like a revolver with a 16" barrel is a revolver federally and a rifle in MA...

So federally they are not regulated in any meaningful way. Go buy them in a free state and bring them home.

In MA they are a "firearm" so fully regulated and purchasable only at dealers or in a FTF transfer with another LTC holder. They also must be "registered" should you bring them in from another state.
Got it.
Thanks for the clarification...

Except under the Healy doctrine that an out of state mail order firm is conducting business in MA, even though title to the property generally passes to the buyer upon delivery to a common carrier.

I recommend getting Tazed once a year just for fun. If you haven't tried it yet you don't know what you're missing.

At least a taser sometimes incapacitates. I was surprised to learn that a stun gun is only a pain compliance tool, not something that literally stuns people. What I find annoying is that you can't just order pepper spray over the internet and have it shipped to you in MA.

At least a taser sometimes incapacitates. I was surprised to learn that a stun gun is only a pain compliance tool, not something that literally stuns people. What I find annoying is that you can't just order pepper spray over the internet and have it shipped to you in MA.
You can order pepper spray online I am sure Amazon or sportsmen’s guide won’t ship it but plenty of other vendors will

Yes, twice I ordered OC from Azn 3rd-party sellers and had them shipped to me in MA.
I guess it's like ammo and reloading components, so I just put in an order with a vendor that will sell me reloading components. Seemed to work. I'd recently checked with POM to see if I could order direct from them. I'd never heard of them back before last year, so I thought they might not even have existed back when the old restrictions were in place. They seem to think they can't ship direct into MA. I'm guessing this isn't about verifying that the recipient is 18, rather their interpretation of MGL Chapter 140 Sections 122B and 122C as applying to out-of-state sales.

Do they have the same storage/transportation requirements?

Back
Top Bottom