Are Sordins Worth the Money?

I'm in the market for some new ear protection. I'd like to go electronic this time. I would say I shoot more than a weekend warrior, but less than a competition shooter. I'm probably at the range range two or three times a week, both indoors and out, shooting rifle (AR) and pistol (9mm and 45ACP). Sometimes I'm there for organized plate shoots and those are several hours long so I'd like something comfortable.

I'm not opposed to spending the money on Sordins, but I won't if there's a decent alternative for less money. I've read all the reviews I can find on the various models like the HLIS, and various Peltors as well as some from Walker and Pro Ear. I've tried the HLIS and they're okay...I wasn't floored by them and certainly wasn't compelled to get them right away. They all seem to have loyal followings and both good and bad reviews. I try not to get too wrapped up in Specs, as they're all easily fudged for marketing purposes.

My primary concerns are ear safety (of course) and cheek weld. I will be doubling up for indoor shooting but I wouldn't mind avoiding it for outside if possible.

I think I'd just like to avoid buying a bunch of $50-$150 sets and being disappointed only to end up buying the Sordins in a year or two and asking why I didn't just do it in the first place. However, if Sordins are not all that some claim they are then I'd like to avoid spending the money if I don't have to.

Have a pair for 3 years and use extensively. Expensive, but worth every penny. Buy once, cry once.

NRR is only 18-19 db, not sure how they could be worth $250 but then I don't own a pair so perhaps they are magical and I am missing out.

NRR is only 18-19 db, not sure how they could be worth $250 but then I don't own a pair so perhaps they are magical and I am missing out.

Yeah, I'm not going on the NRR alone, because each company likely does their own tests under their own conditions and reports based on Marketing not on real world usage.

Have a pair for 3 years and use extensively. Expensive, but worth every penny. Buy once, cry once.

That's sort of what I was thinking and typically what I do, but every now and then there's something that works well and isn't at the top of the pricing spectrum.

I have a hard time paying that kind of coin for something that only provides 18-19DB NRR regardless of how well made they are or how sexy they look. I looked hard at them last year when buying but ended up with the Peltor Tactical Sports with the Gel cups for 1/2 the price and couldn't be happier. I still always double plug as 20DB NRR is not nearly enough

MT16H210F-SV_P.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
The problem is none of the thin muffs are anything more than like 20 NRR, so you literally cant get there from here. If you want 29+ you need big muffs... which bump into the rifle stock.

The old trick is get (whatever) electronic muffs suit you that are thin, and run plugs underneath. Done.

-Mike

I use the custom Silicone plugs with light earmuffs over them. I get the NRR and the comfort. If you wear glasses and most muffs, the bows make a path for the sound to get in and you don't get even the advertised reduction. The second set of plugs helps that.

I've used Pro Ears Gold for several years and love them. But with all the hype about the Sordins I decided to pick up a pair.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to the range yet, but just from use around the house and yard...

The Sordins have more of a buzz/hiss to them when turned up compared to the Pro Ears. Both seem to amplify normal sounds/speech well and still block out other noise.

The Sordins with the gel cups seal better. I had the foam cups when I first got them, but upgraded and the difference is noticeable.

I can't compare them side by side yet on the range, but it's a 50/50 for me right now.

Sordin
Pros - Gel Cup seal, build quality (metal head band), normal battery, water resistant
Cons - Buzz/Hiss when the volume is turned up, battery compartment is a little finickey

Pro Ears
Pros - No buzz/hiss, battery replacement is easy
Cons - N type battery, No Gel Cups available

The old trick is get (whatever) electronic muffs suit you that are thin, and run plugs underneath. Done.

That makes sense!

I have a hard time paying that kind of coin for something that only provides 18-19DB NRR regardless of how well made they are or how sexy they look. I looked hard at them last year when buying but ended up with the Peltor Tactical Sports with the Gel cups for 1/2 the price and couldn't be happier. I still always double plug as 20DB NRR is not nearly enough

Given Mike's comment above, this makes sense.

I've used Pro Ears Gold for several years and love them. But with all the hype about the Sordins I decided to pick up a pair.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to the range yet, but just from use around the house and yard...

The Sordins have more of a buzz/hiss to them when turned up compared to the Pro Ears. Both seem to amplify normal sounds/speech well and still block out other noise.

The Sordins with the gel cups seal better. I had the foam cups when I first got them, but upgraded and the difference is noticeable.

I can't compare them side by side yet on the range, but it's a 50/50 for me right now.

Sordin
Pros - Gel Cup seal, build quality (metal head band), normal battery, water resistant
Cons - Buzz/Hiss when the volume is turned up, battery compartment is a little finickey

Pro Ears
Pros - No buzz/hiss, battery replacement is easy
Cons - N type battery, No Gel Cups available

Excellent input/comparison, thank you! That's pretty helpful.

bigger = better. I got a big old honking pair from lowes that rate at 31db. use it for handgun shooting. use a thin profile muff from peltor for rifle but it's 21 db. my peltors cost 19 bucks. do I need $225 worth of electronics in my muffs? nope, and I double up with ear foams also.

I own a pair, and won't go back to the Peltor Tactical Sport's they replaced. The sound compression is significantly better, with none of the "clipping" you get with other muffs.

A real "A-HA" moment was at a 3-gun match, when I was trying to talk to one of my squad-mates who was wearing the Peltor TS's. The Peltor's were clipping due to the firing in the background, and every time I started to talk, he couldn't hear/understand me. I got frustrated, and finally yanked my MSA's off and put them on his head so he could hear me. You should have seen the look of amazement that came over his face when he heard the difference.

He called me after the match to find out where I got mine and bought his own pair.

I own a pair, and won't go back to the Peltor Tactical Sport's they replaced. The sound compression is significantly better, with none of the "clipping" you get with other muffs.

A real "A-HA" moment was at a 3-gun match, when I was trying to talk to one of my squad-mates who was wearing the Peltor TS's. The Peltor's were clipping due to the firing in the background, and every time I started to talk, he couldn't hear/understand me. I got frustrated, and finally yanked my MSA's off and put them on his head so he could hear me. You should have seen the look of amazement that came over his face when he heard the difference.

He called me after the match to find out where I got mine and bought his own pair.

I agree... The clipping from other brands is highly annoying and really defeats the purpose of electronic protection.

i will say that the Pro Ears Gold are incredible at not clipping anything.

I gave up on the Howard Leights because of how they clipped normal conversations.

Sordins are all I ever use and like ScottS said there is a distinct quality difference. They are expensive for a reason.

My Peltor Tactical Pros are 26dB and I still have to double up with ear plugs even outdoors w/ rifles. So I wouldn't worry about that. The cheek weld isn't great with the Peltors.

Next time I'll get a thinner pair.

I agree... The clipping from other brands is highly annoying and really defeats the purpose of electronic protection.

i will say that the Pro Ears Gold are incredible at not clipping anything.

I gave up on the Howard Leights because of how they clipped normal conversations.

My cheaper Peltors (Tactical 100s) do this as well, I use them for mowing the grass and giving out to guests. The $300 Peltors don't do it.

Just ordered the Sordin Supreme Pro-X with gel ear seals. I hope they don't disappoint, that's some good reloading money.

Okay, they arrived today. Are they supposed to sound like white noise when turned on and not really doing anything? Never mind, that was my fan in the background...holy crap! These things are crazy...

I don't care for the camo headband that came on the set. You'd think for the money they'd have something a little more comfortable. The gel earseals are fantastic. Now I just need to get them to the range for a test.

I have the Impact sport by Howard light and have been very satisfied, I run plugs under then for good protection. One can find them on amazon for around $40.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

I have the Impact sport by Howard light and have been very satisfied, I run plugs under then for good protection. One can find them on amazon for around $40.

Yeah they didn't work for me. The earseals didn't fit quite right. I have the same problem with a pair of analog HL's that I own as well. I think it may just be my head and face shape. So it ended up being either the Sordins or a pair of Peltors with their gel seals. I thought about the ComTac III's, but ended up getting the Sordins (obviously) based on some NES member recommendations. Plus the whole buy once cry once thing. I really didn't want to waste a lot of time and money to end up where I am already.

That being said, I did find these to be interesting -
http://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Game-...=walker's+game+ear+razor+slim+electronic+muff

The Walker's use compression technology (like Sordin) versus clipping used by HL and Peltor. Unfortunately they seem to have that same squarish shape that the HL's have so I didn't want to buy them only to find out they weren't going to seal properly.

I switched to Sordins in February. No regrets. The best I've used.
877afd467218cd2a025af351455a1bc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom