• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are musket balls legal to possess in MA without LTC?

Just string a half dozen of the musket balls together and tell our soon to be guv they're just a sex toy. Maybe she'll give herself lead poisoning.

It's pewter, not lead. It's a replica. Like the steel 1795 silver dollar replica I have.

Massachusetts resident must have a valid firearms license to possess ammunition. There’s a twist… Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 122 defines ammunition as: “cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun”
Although a firearms license is not needed to possess primitive long guns such as a muzzleloading rifle or shotgun or its ammunition, a firearms license is needed to purchase all ammunition including black powder.

Ammunition is:
designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun
If a firearms license is not needed to possess primitive long gun (not a firearm) ammunition, then why would a firearms license be required to purchase non-firearm "ammunition"?

I know components require an FID or LTC in MA, but was the belt the kid got arrested for populated with live rounds; dummy rounds or spent cases?

I know components require an FID or LTC in MA, but was the belt the kid got arrested for populated with live rounds; dummy rounds or spent cases?
Since Appraiser's 2nd post references a news story stating that his mom bought it online for $20, I'd bet large it was the same as my mom's shown in post #29 (Are musket balls legal to possess in MA without LTC?), demilled except for the 4 bullets.

UTHQ9yE.jpg

If sold online by a vendor without an FFL , there is a good chance the complete rounds were demilled.
It makes little difference:

I seem to remember that they turned out to be plastic.... Perhaps a different incident.

It's pewter, not lead. It's a replica. Like the steel 1795 silver dollar replica I have.

Ammunition is:

If a firearms license is not needed to possess primitive long gun (not a firearm) ammunition, then why would a firearms license be required to purchase non-firearm "ammunition"?
'Cuz DPRM?

I seem to remember that they turned out to be plastic.... Perhaps a different incident.
I f*cking hate how they drop names online.
Now the kids name will forever be online and he was not found guilty of any crimes.

Pretty sure you don't need a trigger lock on inlines and primitive firearms, unless there is a primer cap in there. Can anyone verify?

Pretty sure you don't need a trigger lock on inlines and primitive firearms, unless there is a primer cap in there. Can anyone verify?
A BP arm is unloaded when there is no powder in the pan, cap(s) on the nipple(s), or primer(s) in position.

IANAL, but a BP arm is not a firearm, rifle or shotgun under MGL and Fed laws, and don't have the same storage requirements.

Many years ago, Jim Wallace from GOAL was a the State House and called them out that the Revolutionary War muskets hanging on the walls were improperly stored, as they had no trigger locks. They put locks on. The next time that the laws were tweaked, Primitive arms were excepted.

A BP arm is unloaded when there is no powder in the pan, cap(s) on the nipple(s), or primer(s) in position.

IANAL, but a BP arm is not a firearm, rifle or shotgun under MGL and Fed laws, and don't have the same storage requirements.

Many years ago, Jim Wallace from GOAL was a the State House and called them out that the Revolutionary War muskets hanging on the walls were improperly stored, as they had no trigger locks. They put locks on. The next time that the laws were tweaked, Primitive arms were excepted.
That’s BS. Unless someone admitted ownership, everyone in the building should have been charged with a crime and let the court deal with it. One cop not afraid to piss off the brass could have set legal precedent

He said balls. I wonder if you can get balls at Dick's?
So I could say I went to Dick's to get some balls.

Tell me that that case was dismissed and he sued for damages. What a bunch of bull shit.

Appears that in Aug 2013 he plead guilty to trespassing and the ammunition charge was dismissed. He was sentenced to probation and does not seem to be any additional information about him since then.

If sold online by a vendor without an FFL , there is a good chance the complete rounds were demilled.
In MA, demilled ammo would still be considered "components" and require a FID or LTC. Remember spent .22LR brass is illegal to possess without a license and that certainly is "demilled"!

Some ammo is plastic cased these days. Wouldn't matter if it was made from a real cartridge case.
He said balls. I wonder if you can get balls at Dick's?
So I could say I went to Dick's to get some balls.
Dick's has no balls! The should be called Dickless!!!

In MA, demilled ammo would still be considered "components" and require a FID or LTC. Remember spent .22LR brass is illegal to possess without a license and that certainly is "demilled"!

Some ammo is plastic cased these days. Wouldn't matter if it was made from a real cartridge case.

Dick's has no balls! The should be called Dickless!!!
IIRC it was plastic "cartridges" - one-piece hollow pieces, even more useless than snap-caps, as they'd not even chamber.

remember this?

Legally bought at Spenser's Gifts?

FITCHBURG — A Fitchburg State University student who was expelled from the school Monday was arrested for trespassing Tuesday night and found to be carrying a belt of semiautomatic rifle ammunition.

Andrew K. Despres, 20, of 15 Stowell St., New Bedford, was arraigned in Fitchburg District Court on Wednesday on charges of trespassing on state or county property and possessing ammunition without an FID card.

According to court documents, Despres was dismissed from the university at a Monday conduct hearing for infractions from the previous week, including allegedly possessing marijuana, knives and firecrackers on school grounds. He was also suspected of defacing property in a dorm bathroom.

At the hearing, Despres was told he would no longer be allowed on campus and that when he wanted to retrieve his belongings from his room, he would be required to contact both FSU housing and University Police before setting foot back on campus.

On Tuesday, Despres returned to Herlihy Hall without making the appropriate arrangements, and when university police Officer Philip Karampatsos, who was present at Despres’ hearing, reminded him he was not allowed on campus, Despres allegedly said, “Too (expletive) bad, I’m getting my stuff.”

Karampatsos then pat-frisked Despres and discovered he was wearing a 308 rifle casing feeding belt, according to a report by university Patrolman Christopher Bouchard.

“The feeding belt is the same used by the military for feeding ammunition into large capacity rifles,” Bouchard wrote in the report. “The bullets are approximately 2 inches long, pointed ended full metal jackets.”

Despres was then arrested and sent to state police until his arraignment on Wednesday.

Earlier in the day on Tuesday, FSU President Robert V. Antonucci had sent out a holiday greeting by email to students, to which Despres allegedly responded, “Go (expletive) yourself, yesterday was my birthday and I got kicked out of your school because your staff thinks I’m a threat to society and the community. That is the opposite of good holiday wishes and joyful days you guys all suck.”

Antonucci said FSU has a zero-tolerance policy for drugs on campus, and that Despres was removed from the university for his actions through what he called “serious disciplinary action.” That move was made to ensure the health and safety of the other students in the institution, he said.

“There was no reason for him to have been carrying that ammunition. He didn’t have firearm identification card, and even if he did, he shouldn’t be carrying all that ammunition,” Antonucci said. “I don’t know what his intent was, but I don’t think it was for any good purpose. In the climate today, especially with what happened in Newtown, Conn., there is no excuse for that whatsoever. Our police took the appropriate action and how he’s not on the street.”

FSU spokesman Matthew Bruun said that as Despres is no longer a student, the university would not have any further comment on the specifics of the case as it moves through the court system.

“As always, the university takes the safety of the campus community extremely seriously and we will continue to work with all relevant authorities to assure its security,” Bruun said.

Despres’ bail was set at $50,000 cash or $500,000 surety. He was ordered to stay away from FSU and must undergo a mental health evaluation. If and when he posts bail, Despres will be monitored by GPS. He is due back in court Jan. 3.

BPD arrest a guy for that.

Per MGL, isn't any component of ammo considered a "firearm"? Like how if you sprinkle some 22LR shells in your friend's hoodie after a range trip and he doesn't have an LTC, gona be in real trouble lol?

What about a musket ball? Legal without LTC?

View attachment 703881
WTF whos selling those Zinc Replicas?
Listen if your in mass and they are stacking charges Yes they will charge you.
But But do not get caught with Wrist Rocket ammo! They will hang you

43C5C5EE-D0C4-4145-B352-A56C1F2BAFE0.png

Back
Top Bottom