• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are Gun Sales Waning? . . .

I borrowed this item from “God, Guns & Grits” for those that may be interested and have not read it. It shows what another part of the country is experiencing as far as gun sales are concerned.
div255.gif

The guns & ammo buying rush slows from panic to brisk

http://netfotoj.com/
Monday, July 27, 2009

Ask any gun-shop owner and they'll tell you the same thing Les Jones is reporting, The Obama-inspired gun-buying rush is over.​

Last November Barack Obama was elected president. Obama’s official platform included a renewal of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and he was widely (and accurately) perceived as being anti-gun. His election set off a massive gun-buying spree that saw record numbers of gun purchases. That, in turn, led to empty shelves and inflated prices, not just for guns but for complementary goods such as ammunition.

Now people on The High Road are asking is the panic buying over? I think so. It peaked a month or two ago and now it seems to be going in the opposite direction. The best data I have for that is the Colt 6920, a popular AR-15 model.

Colt 6920 price history

A week before the 2008 election someone was selling thirty Colt 6920 AR-15s on Gunbroker for $1,200 a pop, which was a bit under the usual price. A few weeks after Obama won those same 6920s soared to $1,800 or more. (GunBroker’s auction search only goes back 90 days, but here ’s an April auction for $1,750.)

Since then I’ve been watching Clyde Armory, which lists Colt prices on its Web site. Over time I’ve seen the sticker drop to below $1,600, then to $1,449, then to $1,349 last week, and to $1,249 today. An identical gun on GunBroker sold for $1,050 a few weeks ago.

The Obama-inspired gun-buying panic is over. Everyone who wants an AR-15 rifle and can afford it has one, at least until another ban looms. (Well, except me, but I’m not all that fired up about buying an AR-15. I bought a lower and some 30 round magazines last fall as insurance against a ban, but I refused to pay those inflated prices for a complete gun.)

At the gun shop where I've worked since January, the hysteria has faded into at least mild panic if not gone back to normalcy. I'm no expert on "normal" sales at a gun shop as I have previously experienced the gun business only as a buyer prior to this new job.

As Les Jones notes, the drop in price and rise in availability of AR and AK rifles is one good sign that benefits gun buyers, the other is the accompanying slowdown and rise in availability of ammo. Until just this past week or two, we could not keep some types of ammo in stock, such as .380 ACP, which was overly popular due to the release of several new .380 pocket pistols. Now we actually have a good selection of various brands of .380, FMJs and JHPs, at prices that have returned to reasonable from outrageous.

Gun shows since the election have been frantic, but have in the past month or so slowed down to brisk. Same is true about sales in the shop. We now have occasional periods of slow sales, then a dozen customers will show up at once and it goes nuts again until everybody is waited on.

And on gunbroker.com sales, which is what I do primarily for the gun shop, sales have slowed to the point where occasionally we have days when nobody buys a gun. This was unheard of until the past couple of weeks. But we have anedotal evidence that other gun shops are seeing little to no sales on gunbroker. One shop owner recently told our boss that his Internet sales were zero.

Maybe our Internet sales are continuing fairly strong has something to do with our inventory. We currently have 393 guns listed on gunbroker, so nobody can say they can't find what they're looking for, handguns, rifles or shotguns.

But all it will take to reignite the panic is for U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder or President Obama to wave the bloody shirt of gun control and it will be on again. Let's hope they've got enough on their plates to keep them busy without trying to grab our guns. Again.​

I think demand is starting to get saturated to some degree, not to mention because the economy is garbage (and unemployment is soaring) people have less real money to spend.

-Mike

It hasn't stopped, everyone's just reloading their wallets.

Definitely has been slowing for the last two months or so.

The market is responding to the fact that everyone and their mother went out and got something. But this is for the most part a lull as everyone, the market included, waits to see what is on the horizon.

Everyone went out and got the basics that they would need to survive a ban, a few new shooters joined the fold, some of us paranoid old timers stacked our attics with thousands of rounds, extra lowers, etc...

But everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop, when that happens you'll see panic buying that would make the last rush look like a 4 person line at the local Qwik-E-Mart.

It seems the gun buying craze is over. Reloading components are readily available again. I recently received a pile of Wolf primers. I've never used them and wanted to try them out. Ammo still seems to be in short supply. There's plenty of shotgun ammo around but I have loads of shotgun and center fire ammo. I'm always looking for .22lr to feed a couple of full autos and it's still hard to find.

only because we're all broke.
That's a dead on statement, but the industry has historically always slowed down during the summer months. Kids are out of school so it's time to go to Disney World or some other vacation spot and the "honey do" list around the house always grows when the weather is good. Believe me, I work for a firearms distribution center and sales are very slow right now. Also, dealer forgot about all the back orders they had and got buried with inventory and are now blowing guns out the door just to get some cash back in their pockets. Sales will get better, but will never be as crazy as it was during the big "O" scare.

I am currently in Portland OR and the gun shops here are fully stocked with ammo. It looks like the old days. I bought 9mm plinking ammo for $14 a box. The nice thing is they didn't ask for my license when I bought it. I had forgotten what that felt like. [thinking]

I'm hoping for a sell off... There have to be some pissed off spouses opening credit card bills at the mailbox.

Things are definately slowing....many shops have AR's, glocks, hicaps.....etc....all the stuff that was high demand before. Internet has anything you want pretty much from what I've seen.

Ammo is still messed up...but I'm thinking that will straighten out pretty soon as well.......but other than handgun ammo, everything is pretty much available.

it is slowing

got my copy of "gun yesterday and they claim as well that sales are
slowing. they're referring to guns. Reloading supplies might see some
relief (i hope) in the near future.

I realize some folks collect them, as for me i like to own what i can use,
and maybe a few extras.

My guess its a cycle that will level out, unless the atty general (obamas stuge) his sword.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom