Are folks hunting MA in Zone 10 (Shotgun & Muzzleloader)?

I don’t understand why everyone is sour grapes, it was definitely off in my area of zone 10 November 15-December 15 but like a light switch it went back to normal seeing 4-8 deer a sit the last couple weeks of the season. I went the last evening trying to get a friend on one he missed and we saw 7 total. I shot 3 in archery and 2 in muzzleloader, with many more opportunities. There’s piles of deer where I hunt. I always scout more than I hunt every year and that’s why I typically see more than the average guy with 2 ladder stands he pounds every weekend. If I was to guess I’m probably 50/50 or 60/40 private to public but some of the public spots I see more deer than anywhere. I hunted deer out of state for the second time ever this year and went to Maine and saw 1 deer in 5 days of hunting. Zone 10 is all I know I’ve really never traveled outside a 15 mile radius to deer hunt in my life.
Maine for the most part is NOT a high deer concentration state......especially the further north you go.

South and Midwest are higher concentration deer states. And if you look at a lot of those states they are one buck only per year to maintain quality. Many have antler restrictions as well. Some with high concentrations of deer will give out liberal doe permits.....but still there isn't a lot of people shooting more than they need.

I'm not sour grapes on Zone 10. or eastern MA at all....never really said I was. Like you said, you work hard, don't pound your spots and are doing it right. Plus, you know that Zone and your areas. Your in a good area where there is lack of enough lack of access/anti hunter/anti hunting town, protection to keep the herd at higher levels. That's the only "good" management your getting, if it was up to the state, you'd be seeing crap too.

Same as my spots in southern CT. There are deer there soley because of lack of hunter access.....nothing more.

I know my zone and my areas in Zone 5 been hunting them for 20 years or more. It used to be OK...never great.......but you'd see deer 15 years ago when the seasons and tags weren't so liberal, now that they are....its gone nothing but downhill. Come hunt Zone 5 now, do the same thing..........see how it works out for ya. Probably can guarantee you won't see as many deer or have as many opportunities.......spend a week in the woods hunting hard and seeing very few deer. Yet they are pounding out doe permits in Zone 5, and not that it matters......because people tag trade zones anyway.

End of the day....its extremely annoying that I live in good deer hunting country, where I can walk out my door and hunt, have thousands of acres of huntable land, but yet have to consider driving east to some little postage stamp patch of woods near fXcking antihunters and anti towns to see a good amount of deer.

All because my state manages deer in my area very very poorly. I'd rather they make our area in Zone 5 a big buck only area with antler restrictions, no doe permit area, or maybe archery only. Whatever, anything to recognize that the population sucks and it needs to be dealt with. My area with lots of public land and access cannot take the liberal seasons and doe permits that Zone 10 can...because the herd does not recover or have the protection that Zone 10 does.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why everyone is sour grapes, it was definitely off in my area of zone 10 November 15-December 15 but like a light switch it went back to normal seeing 4-8 deer a sit the last couple weeks of the season. I went the last evening trying to get a friend on one he missed and we saw 7 total. I shot 3 in archery and 2 in muzzleloader, with many more opportunities. There’s piles of deer where I hunt. I always scout more than I hunt every year and that’s why I typically see more than the average guy with 2 ladder stands he pounds every weekend. If I was to guess I’m probably 50/50 or 60/40 private to public but some of the public spots I see more deer than anywhere. I hunted deer out of state for the second time ever this year and went to Maine and saw 1 deer in 5 days of hunting. Zone 10 is all I know I’ve really never traveled outside a 15 mile radius to deer hunt in my life.

If you saw one deer in 5 days hunting in Maine then you know what it is like hunting in Western Massachusetts. If you look at the chart I posted that is where they want to stabilize the deer herd.

Don't worry, Massachusetts deer management will get to you. Just be patient a little longer.

I have hunted zone 8 for many years and it wasn’t that long ago I always got a doe tag and was able to buy an over the counter doe permit or two. Now I am lucky to get a doe permit every 3rd or 4th year.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom