Are EMT's allowed to carry?

Well, in 14 years as a Paramedic, I never had anyone shoot my patient will they were on the gurney. However, I've had just about everything else. Medics often have the very dangerous attitude that, "I'm here to help. No one will try to harm me".

Only two instances that I'm aware that allow medics to carry. Some EMS services are part of a LE dept. not many but some, so all medics are also cops.

The other is the SWAT medic. When I was on HRT we always had our gear with us to respond to situations. However, you could not 'carry', it was just 'close'.

Back in the day, no cops or fire dept's, responded with EMS on anything. You would not believe the shit I've been in over the years. Then, later on when LE would respond to things like fights, assualts, and domestics, they could actually makes things worse.

OK, I give up. What is it about being an EMT or paramedic that would disqualify someone from getting a CCW? After all, Michigan is now a shall issue state. A few years back my kid brother and his crew carried an Uzi on their engine. (It's a long story that I won't put in writing.) I don't know about now, since he's the Captain rather than a grunt.

Ken

Nothing disqualifies the individual from obtaining a license. However, dept's won't allow medics to carry on duty. A lawyer / liability thing.

C-pher said:
I don't konw, but i would think that as close as you work with the patients it would make it easier to grab your weapon while you're trying to stop someones bleeding or something like that.

If you carried in the open, that would be correct. However, no more or less than any LEO. Which brings up another point. With all of the continuing education medics have to take, firearms training and weapon retention would be an added burden on an already full plate for most. Aside from that fact they don't want medics playing Rambo when they should be concentrating on patient care.

TonyD said:
You would be surprised what happens when you give some people a little 'authority'. It would soon go from self defense to try to play cop.

So you're saying I should stop making "Hot Stops" on the roads of people I think are breaking the law? [lol]

Well, GOL-LY!

And you can tell just by people that became hall monitors in grade school. Some of them, forget about it. They would stop you on the playgound and try to boss you around just because during math, they coudl tell you you can't go to the bathroom.

Of course, back then you would just punch them in the arm and tell them to shut up. But if they had a gun, that's a different story.

Back
Top Bottom