• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are certain firearms illegal?

Hi there.
I'm going to commission in the Army National Guard next year and would like to move back up to the North East. I'm considering moving to Rhode Island. I did an extensive search, but couldn't find the information I want...

Are there any restrictions on certain firearms? Do I have to get any of my firearms "neutered"? I've got a glock 23, an AR-15 with a collapsible stock, a springfield M1a, and I'm looking to expand my collection further.

I realize all of those aren't legal in MA and was wondering if RI is as draconian o_O

Well I can't speak to RI but those firearms are LEGAL in MA. The AR would need to be assault weapon ban compliant (pin stock, remove flash suppressor and replace with a pinned/welded compensator or muzzle break) and no high capacity magazines made after 09/94.

The laws in MA you are probably confused about only limits what a FFL can transfer, not what you can own.

With that said, MA gun laws suck and if you want firearm freedom I suggest NH or VT for northeast states. I don't know about RI but I don't think it's horrible.

Ah, so I can still have my glock 23? I heard something about a 10lb trigger pull, chambered round notification, and external safety.

Ah, so I can still have my glock 23? I heard something about a 10lb trigger pull, chambered round notification, and external safety.

The only laws we have dealing with whether or not a particular firearm is legal to own are the Assault Weapons Ban and the licensing laws. You'll need to get a Class A LTC to own the Glock, and chances are you needn't worry about the AWB with a compact Glock.

The laws you heard about have to do with what dealers can transfer to you, not ownership.

ETA: The above is regarding MA, not RI.

Last edited:
The pistol is fine to own in MA; just cannot sell it through a dealer in MA. The magazine, if it has a capacity greater than 10 rounds and is newer than 9/94, is not.

According to the NRA-ILA RI does not have the AWB or "consumer protection" restrictions MA has. It does appear that there is a 7 day waiting period to purchase any gun and a license is required to purchase, own and CCW handguns. I don't know how easy it is to get the required license(s). I'm sure someone from RI can confirm, deny and add more.

Last edited:
This information has been very helpful everyone! It might sound dumb, but one of my big deciding factors in choosing my state has been firearm restrictions [wink]

While we're talking about MA, how difficult will it be for a military guy to get a Class A LTC? And finally:

CLASS “A" LTC: Permits the purchase, possession and carrying of all ammunition, handguns, rifles, shotguns and feeding devices (both large and non-large capacity). This is the only license that allows the carrying of concealed handguns-either loaded or unloaded.

I assume this means I would be allowed to keep and carry large-capacity 30 round AR magazines and 17 round glock magazines?

This information has been very helpful everyone! It might sound dumb, but one of my big deciding factors in choosing my state has been firearm restrictions [wink]

While we're talking about MA, how difficult will it be for a military guy to get a Class A LTC? And finally:

I assume this means I would be allowed to keep and carry large-capacity 30 round AR magazines and 17 round glock magazines?

Depends on town wrt LTC. Some will issue to MIL living there, others will tell you TS, go get a NR LTC (which is a lot more costly, can be a bigger hassle, and you can't buy anything in MA).

Mags . . . if made pre-9/13/1994, GTG with LTC-A. If made after that date, mere possession is a 10 year Felony (for each mag)!

If you're interested in guns and want to move to the Northeast, you want to be in NH, ME, VT, or PA. Everywhere else sucks in one way or another. If you can't move to one of those 4, you'll have to research the laws and balance which suckage you can best live with.

Hi there.
I'm going to commission in the Army National Guard next year and would like to move back up to the North East. I'm considering moving to Rhode Island. I did an extensive search, but couldn't find the information I want...

Are there any restrictions on certain firearms? Do I have to get any of my firearms "neutered"? I've got a glock 23, an AR-15 with a collapsible stock, a springfield M1a, and I'm looking to expand my collection further.

I realize all of those aren't legal in MA and was wondering if RI is as draconian o_O

Come on in. All of your weapons are fine. Plain and simple with RI weapons is everything is fine but silencers and full auto. Carry permits can be a real suckfest unless you got good reason for carry.
dave

They are all legal and good to go in RI....we have-

No mag limits.
No "assault weapons" ban.
No pistol restrictions.

Also no Class III and carry permits can be a pain in the ass to get. 7 day wait for everything.

I know this might be a little late now, but I wanted to make a quick post anyway...
SBS, SBR, AOW, and fully auto machine guns are not legal either. At least there are no firearms roster, high capacity mag ban, or assault weapons ban. Even though RI is Shall Issue through the Chiefs (May Issue through the AG), many Chiefs refuse to follow the law. Some chiefs have been sued to understand this, but now there is case law in favor of gun owners.
RIFOL did a study to determine which towns have applications for CCW permits. http://www.rifol.org/pistolpermitstudy.php

Back
Top Bottom