Are AR-15 Pistols legal in RI??

Friend from RI wants an AR15 pistol.

Is there anything in RI prohibiting them? I've done multiple searches on multiple forums and Google and can't find anything on the subject.

Friend from RI wants an AR15 pistol.

Is there anything in RI prohibiting them? I've done multiple searches on multiple forums and Google and can't find anything on the subject.

I've wondered the same thing myself. An AR-15 pistol has been on my mind for a few years now.

If your friend builds one, keep the thread updated. I'd love to see how it comes along.

I know this is an old thread, but yes both AR & AK pistols are legal in RI. Specific to an AR, the lower receiver must be registered as a pistol or "other" and can not have a shoulder stock on it. It can only have the buffer tube extending out. Jim's Firearms in Johnston, RI is a great resource for questions like this as the owner is a retired Johnston police officer and is very well versed in RI firearm laws. When i moved to RI from MA he gave me much valuable info to help me get acclimated to my new state of residence. He also helped me with some questions i had regarding my CCW license when i applied. On the other hand, there are a few FFL's in RI i stay away from because they just are not properly educated on these topics.

This is exactly why i am in the process of applying for my own FFL as a matter of fact!!

Last edited:
to expand on this topic, theoretically speaking, if a person has a concealed carry license in RI and owns an AR pistol would it be legal to, say, carry a loaded AR pistol in the licensed individuals vehicle? had a conversation with a friend about the legality of this, and neither of us really knew where to go with it. Based on the RI general law i would say yes, but wondering what others thoughts would be.

to expand on this topic, theoretically speaking, if a person has a concealed carry license in RI and owns an AR pistol would it be legal to, say, carry a loaded AR pistol in the licensed individuals vehicle? had a conversation with a friend about the legality of this, and neither of us really knew where to go with it. Based on the RI general law i would say yes, but wondering what others thoughts would be.

My understanding is that an AR pistol meets the definition of a "pistol" and as such, it is treated as any other pistol or hand gun. As to carrying one, permits issued from RI cities and towns under 11-47-11 allow permit holders "to carry concealed upon his or her person". Similarly, permits issued by the AG under 11-47-18 allow permit holders to carry a pistol or revolver, "whether concealed or not, upon his or her person".

Do what you will, but in my view, if you don't have that AR pistol strapped to your "person", then you are not adhering to the condition from which the permit was issued.

And while were being theoretical, if you had an AG permit, which allows open carry of an AR pistol, would anyone really want to? It may be legal, but I for one would not want to draw attention to myself by doing so.

My understanding is that an AR pistol meets the definition of a "pistol" and as such, it is treated as any other pistol or hand gun. As to carrying one, permits issued from RI cities and towns under 11-47-11 allow permit holders "to carry concealed upon his or her person". Similarly, permits issued by the AG under 11-47-18 allow permit holders to carry a pistol or revolver, "whether concealed or not, upon his or her person".

Do what you will, but in my view, if you don't have that AR pistol strapped to your "person", then you are not adhering to the condition from which the permit was issued.

And while were being theoretical, if you had an AG permit, which allows open carry of an AR pistol, would anyone really want to? It may be legal, but I for one would not want to draw attention to myself by doing so.

Not everyone has LOGIC and common sense though.

Back
Top Bottom