Are Americans legally required to fill out census forms?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually applied for a job working for the gubmint taking the Census. If I am chosen I will be sure to come on and post what I learn when they train me. I am a bit nervous as I have to go to peoples homes and ask them about their business but being laid off I need the money. I'm hoping I can Conceal Carry on the job, but I doubt it. I was Laid off last year and I need the work. The pay is better than what I was making before but there is a lot more risk. I Had to take an exam today for them to even look at my application. I got 30 minutes to answer 28 questions and honestly, some of the questions were pretty tough! I Scored an A so Im waiting to see if I get a call. I will let everyone know what I learn in training should I get in. It will be hard tho because I agree with every ones concerns.
I to am out of work and applied for the census job, went in and took the test. I was told that out of 28 questions you could miss 18 and still pass!!!!!. the test was easy, I got them all right and they are going to put me in the office when they are ready. I wont have to go door to door and risk getting shot. [smile] But I will let everyone know what is going on behind enemy lines when it happends.

On a side not, I have to go in on monday and take the TSA exam for a sceeners job, If I didn't need the money I wouldn't get within 100' of these jobs, but I'm not working and I have bills to pay.[sad2]

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I to am out of work and applied for the census job, went in and took the test. I was told that out of 28 questions you could miss 18 and still pass!!!!!. the test was easy, I got them all right and they are going to put me in the office when they are ready. I wont have to go door to door and risk getting shot. [smile] But I will let everyone know what is going on behind enemy lines when it happends.

On a side not, I have to go in on monday and take the TSA exam for a sceeners job, If I didn't need the money I wouldn't get within 100' of these jobs, but I'm not working and I have bills to pay.[sad2]
I was told I could not get any LESS than 18 Correct in order to Pass. Congrats on the Position! How long did it take to hear back? I took the test today!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told I could not get any LESS than 18 Correct in order to Pass. Congrats on the Position! How long did it take to hear back? I took the test today!
Maybe I miss heard her talking, but I could have sworn she said that we could miss 18 and still have a passing grade. Maybe she missed spoke too I don't know.I heard back within 2 weeks about the office job, I guess they needed a management spot filled and I told them I am a project manager and could do what they needed. I was expecting to do the door-to-door job,but a spot in the office was open so I took it.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Maybe I miss heard her talking, but I could have sworn she said that we could miss 18 and still have a passing grade. Maybe she missed spoke too I don't know.I heard back within 2 weeks about the office job, I guess they needed a management spot filled and I told them I am a project manager and could do what they needed. I was expecting to do the door-to-door job,but a spot in the office was open so I took it.
Im sure it was them and not you. The woman doing my testing could barely speak english!?!? She had to read a form to us and no one could understand what she was saying. I managed projects in my last job but never had the title so I didnt write it down. I will explain if they call and see where it gets me. The guy I spoke to on the phone the first time said there were a few office positions but mostly door-to-door stuff. We will see, Good luck and again congrats!

SemiAutoSam

Banned
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This came in a E Mail but hit home as the item mentioned in the e mail was just found in the mail box associated with the property I live on.

Keep in mind my name is not RESIDENT.

Someone named RESIDENT. Uh, is your name RESIDENT? If so I think I received some of your mail by mistake.

So if my name isn't RESIDENT and I opened this letter would I be in trouble for opening someone else's mail?

Justice Story said:

“To constitute a person a citizen of a State so as to sue in the courts of the United States, he must have a domicil in such State.”
Case vs. Clark, 5 Fed. Cas. 254,

A citizenship and residence in a state are not necessarily synonymous *1, for although the Fourteenth Amendment specifically says that United States citizens are citizens of the state in which they reside *2, there may be a temporary residence in one state, with intent to return to another *3. *1: Travis v. Yale & T. Mfg. Co., 252 U.S. 60, 64 L.ed. 460, 40 S.Ct. 228; La Tourette v. McMaster, 248 U.S. 465, 63 L.ed. 362, 39 S.Ct. 160; State v. Stevens, 78 N.H. 268, 99 A. 723, L.R.A.1917C, 528. *2: Colgate v. Harvey, 296 U.S. 404, 80 L.ed. 299, 56 S.Ct. 252, 102 A.L.R. 54. *3: State v. Stevens, 78 N.H. 268, 99 A. 723, l.R.A.1917C. 528

“Residence and Citizenship are wholly different things within the meaning of the Constitution and the laws defining and regulating the jurisdiction of the circuit courts of the United States; and a mere averment of residence in a particular State is not an averment of Citizenship in that state for the purposes of jurisdiction."
Steigleder v. McQuesten, 198 U.S. 143

“A citizen of the United States owes his primary and highest allegiance to the general government and not to his particular State. On the other hand, State Citizenship is the equivalent of domicil.”

“Although a State may by its constitution and laws confer certain privileges of citizenship on foreign subjects, it cannot make them citizens within the meaning of this act. Minnesota vs. Reum (56 Fed. 576). Nevertheless, such State Citizenship or domicil is not at all essential to national citizenship.”
Hammerstein vs. Lyne, 200 Fed. 170

Hmmmm, I guess I better not open someone else's mail.

So if my name isn't RESIDENT and I opened this letter would I be in trouble for opening someone else's mail?

Justice Story said:

“To constitute a person a citizen of a State so as to sue in the courts of the United States, he must have a domicil in such State.”
Case vs. Clark, 5 Fed. Cas. 254,

A citizenship and residence in a state are not necessarily synonymous *1, for although the Fourteenth Amendment specifically says that United States citizens are citizens of the state in which they reside *2, there may be a temporary residence in one state, with intent to return to another *3. *1: Travis v. Yale & T. Mfg. Co., 252 U.S. 60, 64 L.ed. 460, 40 S.Ct. 228; La Tourette v. McMaster, 248 U.S. 465, 63 L.ed. 362, 39 S.Ct. 160; State v. Stevens, 78 N.H. 268, 99 A. 723, L.R.A.1917C, 528. *2: Colgate v. Harvey, 296 U.S. 404, 80 L.ed. 299, 56 S.Ct. 252, 102 A.L.R. 54. *3: State v. Stevens, 78 N.H. 268, 99 A. 723, l.R.A.1917C. 528

“Residence and Citizenship are wholly different things within the meaning of the Constitution and the laws defining and regulating the jurisdiction of the circuit courts of the United States; and a mere averment of residence in a particular State is not an averment of Citizenship in that state for the purposes of jurisdiction."
Steigleder v. McQuesten, 198 U.S. 143

“A citizen of the United States owes his primary and highest allegiance to the general government and not to his particular State. On the other hand, State Citizenship is the equivalent of domicil.”

“Although a State may by its constitution and laws confer certain privileges of citizenship on foreign subjects, it cannot make them citizens within the meaning of this act. Minnesota vs. Reum (56 Fed. 576). Nevertheless, such State Citizenship or domicil is not at all essential to national citizenship.”
Hammerstein vs. Lyne, 200 Fed. 170

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has the census confused with the ACS or American Community Survey.
The census is 10 questions and it is truly just a count of people.
http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php here is the exact form you will receive. There is nothing more than who, how many, how old, and race.

The ACS though is a monster. Over 14 pages! This is the document that asks all sorts of the probing questions. But due to a poorly written US code (see my other post) The ACS falls under the same legal rquirement to be filled out even though it is not the census. Here is link to a sample ACS http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/SQuest09.pdf
The ACS has no bearing on govt reps. Only the census count can affect that.
I've now received two copies of the ACS survey, a few letters/postcards, several phone calls and now a visit at my door yesterday. Spent a few minutes with the guy basically telling him I'm not answering all these intrusive questions. He said to use a fake name like John Doe if I was concerned with privacy issues but I pointed out that the fines for false information is higher than not responding to the questions. When I mentioned the Constitution (how dare I?!) he responded with something about it being written back in 1791 blah, blah, blah. The conversation ended with me stating that I am refusing to respond to the survey to which he said that I will continue to be called (harrassed) and that "he'll be seeing me again." He also pointed out that I'm actually hurting my city by not cooperating.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I've now received two copies of the ACS survey, a few letters/postcards, several phone calls and now a visit at my door yesterday. Spent a few minutes with the guy basically telling him I'm not answering all these intrusive questions. He said to use a fake name like John Doe if I was concerned with privacy issues but I pointed out that the fines for false information is higher than not responding to the questions. When I mentioned the Constitution (how dare I?!) he responded with something about it being written back in 1791 blah, blah, blah. The conversation ended with me stating that I am refusing to respond to the survey to which he said that I will continue to be called (harrassed) and that "he'll be seeing me again." He also pointed out that I'm actually hurting my city by not cooperating.

Proper response:

" Go ahead - keep calling me and bothering me - and I will continue to keep telling you I am not going to fill that out. We will start this progression right here and now by me saying this to you: Get the eff off my property and stop harassing me. - your move"

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Post a notice that all census workers are banned from the property, failure to comply will result in a PERSONAL complaint being filed against them in court.

The notice may not be legally binding, but with who they hired they'll buy it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't filled one out since I've been on my own (30 yrs?). I don't have kids, don't give a crap. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing a census is good for is researching family. Since I don't have any offspring, then I don't care.

For the Census takers that monitor NES, my name is John Milla Secesh, and I live in East Bum**** Kansas. Come find me :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper response:

" Go ahead - keep calling me and bothering me - and I will continue to keep telling you I am not going to fill that out. We will start this progression right here and now by me saying this to you: Get the eff off my property and stop harassing me. - your move"
Nice response. [wink]

Post a notice that all census workers are banned from the property, failure to comply will result in a PERSONAL complaint being filed against them in court.

The notice may not be legally binding, but with who they hired they'll buy it.
Not a bad idea. I was thinking of putting up a No Tresspassing/No Soliciting sign.

This is interesting. Keep us posted.
Will do.

F

Finalygotabeltfed

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I put the number of people and my address, thats it. All the other stuff is social engineering information which I refuse to participate in.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Honestly - I would rather my state (MA) NOT be represented in Washington given the vast majority of voters long standing liberal tendencies. The less representatives we send to Washington - the better off I will be.
You do realize because of the latest census I think MA is losing something like 2 seats in the U.S House of Representatives.

And knowing MA they may get an organization like ACORN to conduct the followups so they may just make you a welfare mom with lots of kids, and presto, MA gets more reps.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I got repeated calls from Census that they needed 'more info'. I told the lady to f*ck off (in a nicer way), and she told me there could be legal repercussions. I challenged her to sue me and I would love to hire a lawyer to see it through.

She chickened out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he showed up again yesterday while I was sleeping (night shift) and my wife didn't even bother to answer the door. She saw him walk to the end of our driveway to see if our vehicles were there. Guess he hasn't given up yet.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I had a conversation with a census person once and they tried that exact same excuse.

I told the guy: " NO - actually I am screwing myself by participating in this survey. My town and state get money based on my participation. Which means funds must be draw from somewhere - which means taxes must be raised. Every time the govt. gets more money - they do something stupid with it. The less people respond to the survey - the less money they get - and the less stupid shit they can do. Oh yeah - and over the course of 3 plus decades of watching this -I can't think of a single GOOD thing the government has done for me. So what you are really doing here is harrassing me - and the threatening me with something that is only going to screw me. Are you stupid? What kind of response to you think you are going to get from somebody who realizes all these things. I told you to go away the last time - Now I'm telling you to go away again. Stop being an a**h*** and do it".

He wrote some stuff on a form and he did not come back.

The last time the ACS thing came in the mail - it went into the shredder.

People who are sick and tired of big government have got to start doing SOMETHING - SOMEWHERE to make it stop. If you can't even bring yourself to not fill out a piece of paper and tell a harassing govt. worker to get off your property - how do you think it's ever going to end?

Tim L

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no tresspasing signs ,they drive right past them and up the driveway. A woman told me they are trained to ignore them.

center442

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well he showed up again yesterday while I was sleeping (night shift) and my wife didn't even bother to answer the door. She saw him walk to the end of our driveway to see if our vehicles were there. Guess he hasn't given up yet.
They're still bothering you? I have to admire the guy's perseverance. He must be getting paid at a piecework rate.

Top Bottom