• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Archery targets in backyard?

That doesn't make sense to me...
why would they use the term "the land of another"

If the boundaries don't matter that word is totally unnecessary.

IAANAL :)

it just means you don't need written permission to shoot near your own dwelling but do need written permission to shoot within 500 ft of another person's dwelling.

Section 58. A person shall not discharge any firearm or release any arrow upon or across any state or hard surfaced highway, or within one hundred and fifty feet, of any such highway, or possess a loaded firearm or hunt by any means on the land of another within five hundred feet of any dwelling in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.

No where in that law does it say anything about "Written Permission". The law as written, if you are asked if you have permission and you say yes by mr/mrs so and so. It is up to the government to prove differently.

you're right in that you don't need written permission but now YOU are WRONG that you even need permission. The LAW AS WRITTEN and as I posted it states you need to be authorized.

but we really don't need to keep nit picking this do we?

- - - Updated - - -

You have information that it has been interpreted in that manner, or a court decision? Anything?

I'm still confused by it.

ain't no law going to solve that

archery can be just as deadly as a gun, but it doesn't have the stigma. people see a bow and don't automatically call Elizabeth warren...

Unless you have one of these uppers
7a3u3emy.jpg

So, not to get off track here, but did we ever figure out if it was legal or not? I'm curious now.

Recently was surprised to find out it IS unlawful in my small Oregon town, but thankfully, completely unenforced. My mere suspicion is MA is similar. Can't recall ever having an issue with archery in my yard when I lived there, but I also can't imagine MA would forget to ban something.

Can't recall ever having an issue with archery in my yard when I lived there, but I also can't imagine MA would forget to ban something.

Neither can I. My brother & I used to practice pretty regularly in both the backyard & sideyard (i.e. shooting practically from the sidewalk into the backyard), in Newton no less. We grew up on a very busy street, and no one ever said a word and no LEO ever seemed to notice/care.

Back
Top Bottom