• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Archery targets in backyard?

Hi all, getting into archery this year. I live in Falmouth, Ma and was wondering if it is legal to target shoot in my yard. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for the help,
Chris

First, check with your town to see if there any ordinance/by-laws that prohibit bow and arrow use as you intend to use them.

Second, ask your PD if they would have an issue with it. Typically generalized to 500' from another house and 150' from a road.

I have no issues in my town but my neighbors and PD are cool. Your mileage may vary.

I would strongly suggest becoming a member at a local club. The people and facilities will open a lot of doors to learning and enjoyment you won't find on your own.
Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of archery!

Last edited:
Not sure about Falmouth. Hope it is OK. I was thinking about how much I missed being able to go out in my backyard and shoot. When I was a kid, we shot .22s up to 12 gauge and bows year round. Think I have to move north so I can do it again. I wonder how many acres are needed for a 200 yard range...
White Feather

Not sure about it being legal or not but, I shoot in my back yard all the time.

StevensMarksman

^This. Bows are silent, so unless you are being stupid and not shooting where you have a safe backstop, then why worry about it at all? INMO you can open up more problems by bringing to the attention of the police then to just STFU and do what you want (as long as you are being safe about it).

I did all the time before I moved. My yard was fenced in so had enough privacy from neighbors, and had a good back stop. At my new house I dont have a target, by backyard lines up with my neighbors, I have no fence, no back stop, and too many kids around.

This is what I built, and left behind...
bb8a519e.jpg

0cb08d46.jpg

you should be good to go. But safety is of course paramount. A misaimed arrow can go a whole lot farther than one might expect. You need a secure and big backstop, and no chance some kid can walk around a corner and surprise you.

First, check with your town to see if there any ordinance/by-laws that prohibit bow and arrow use as you intend to use them.

Second, ask your PD if they would have an issue with it. Typically generalized to 500' from another house and 150' from a road.
I have no issues in my town but my neighbors and PD are cool. Your mileage may vary.

I would strongly suggest becoming a member at a local club. The people and facilities will open a lot of doors to learning and enjoyment you won't find on your own.
Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of archery!

Where do you get the setback limits that I've bolded? Those setbacks are not mandated if you are shooting on a range (even a backyard one), but are from the hunting statutes.

Section 12E referenced above about discharge of a firearm does not apply to a bow and arrow since a bow does not meet the definition of a "firearm" under the statute cited in the first line of Section 12E. It is against Mass law to release an arrow over a paved road or within 150 feet of a paved road and you cannot hunt with a bow within 500 feet of a dwelling (without consent of the dwelling owner). Archery target practice isn't hunting so the hunting prohibition shouldn't make target practice illegal. That said, you should have a safe practice area with a good backstop because I am sure that the authorities could still charge you with something (maybe reckless endangerment, disturbing the peace, something else) if you practice with a bow in a suburban neighborhood with a safe backstop. I would also check your town statutes for an town prohibiting on archery practice.

Dont ever call and ask the police for anything involving the words "shooting" "hunting" "release" "arrow" "target" ......basically anything they might interpret as "evil". Besides, even if they don't know the answer to your question, it will be NO.

Dont ever call and ask the police for anything involving the words "shooting" "hunting" "release" "arrow" "target" ......basically anything they might interpret as "evil". Besides, even if they don't know the answer to your question, it will be NO.

This. Think about it from their point of view. If theyre not 100% sure, they can end up stepping in shit by saying yes to the wrong thing. There's really no downside for them if they play it safe and say no.

Let's put it this way: if the cops show and start being dicks because you made ZERO noise and hurt no one in your own backyard, you have larger problems than any bylaw.

Check bylaws, if nothing found print and put target up. Be safe and careful. If cops show up, show them printed bylaw. Just make sure you check every year for updates

^This. Bows are silent, so unless you are being stupid and not shooting where you have a safe backstop, then why worry about it at all? INMO you can open up more problems by bringing to the attention of the police then to just STFU and do what you want (as long as you are being safe about it).
That was my answer as well.
I did all the time before I moved. My yard was fenced in so had enough privacy from neighbors, and had a good back stop. At my new house I dont have a target, by backyard lines up with my neighbors, I have no fence, no back stop, and too many kids around.

This is what I built, and left behind...
bb8a519e.jpg

0cb08d46.jpg
That thing looks sweet. Interested in the details.

Let's put it this way: if the cops show and start being dicks because you made ZERO noise and hurt no one in your own backyard, you have larger problems than any bylaw.
Hey, that kid in Methuen wasn't making any noise or hurting anybody with his "hi-cap" magazines and revolver. So tell me again about those "larger problems"?

dbf2ab82.jpg

Built this frame, stapled chicken wire on sides and bottom. Then stuffed it with scrap foam from work, old ratty cloths, and plastic bags. Cut out all buttons and zippers. Pack it in tight!!

Carpeted the face frame with screws and washers.

Lasted me for about 3 years. Didn't take it when I moved. Still stopped arrows like the day I made it.

Never ask the cops anything!! Most of them in regards to "the release of Arrows" are as dumb as a box of rocks. That is with all appologies to rocks. I have seen cops try to consider Archery the same as firearms, THEY ARE NOT!!!!

Read your town bylaws and see for yourself if there is anything in regards to the "release of arrows" (You do not discharge an arrow)
The next thing is read MGL Chapter 131 Section 58.
That section is interesting.
or possess a loaded firearm or hunt by any means on the land of another within five hundred feet of any dwelling in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof.
The way I read it, it doesn't prohibit firing within 500 feet of a dwelling on an adjacent property, it prohibits shooting within 500 feet ON land of ANOTHER within 500 feet of any dwelling. It does NOT say "OR within 500 feet" it is subordinate to being on the land of another.

If you're on your property shooting, you're not on another's land, you're not hunting or shooting across the property of another.

Maybe that's not the way the courts have interpreted it, but that's the plain language of what it says.

So have the courts interpreted it to mean shooting on your own property is prohibited if you're within 500 feet of a neighbor's dwelling without their permission?

i live in falmouth also. I am not much into archery but i do a lot of work at peoples homes in falmouth. many people shoot in their back yard.

If you have neighbors they will bitch hey hey not shot towards my house even if you have a backstop.

If you have a fence an they can't see over even better.

From the sidewalk in front of my house to the targets 80yards. I've taken some shots and no kne has bitched yet.

archery can be just as deadly as a gun, but it doesn't have the stigma. people see a bow and don't automatically call Elizabeth warren...

Generally speaking you are good to go unless your city or town has a bylaw that includes the arrows, which some more urban areas do interpret "shooting" to include arrows, pellets, and BBs. Some towns added this as a round about way to prohibit bow hunting.

Everything is illegal in MA. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES

Not illegal, regulated. as in "Everything is regulated in NH. RUN YOUR MOUTH OFF ON THE INTERNET" [rolleyes]

» 207:3-c Use Of Firearms, Bow, Or Crossbow In Or Across Highway Prohibited New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated (RSA) Index

Last edited:
That section is interesting.

The way I read it, it doesn't prohibit firing within 500 feet of a dwelling on an adjacent property, it prohibits shooting within 500 feet ON land of ANOTHER within 500 feet of any dwelling. It does NOT say "OR within 500 feet" it is subordinate to being on the land of another.

If you're on your property shooting, you're not on another's land, you're not hunting or shooting across the property of another.

Maybe that's not the way the courts have interpreted it, but that's the plain language of what it says.

So have the courts interpreted it to mean shooting on your own property is prohibited if you're within 500 feet of a neighbor's dwelling without their permission?

a property line does not reset the 500 foot rule, AFAIK

IANAL, etc.

Back
Top Bottom