• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Archery stamp to use bow during shotgun/primitive seasons?

dukefan70

NES Member
I was planning on doing shotgun only this year for deer, but during turkey found a nice piece of land and the owner said I could hunt it for deer but bow only. I didn't get my archery stamp yet this year. Do I need an archery or primitive stamp to use bow during shotgun and primitive seasons?

P.S. The fish and wildlife guide doesn't mention anything about this, and I searched the forum already for previous threads.

I was planning on doing shotgun only this year for deer, but during turkey found a nice piece of land and the owner said I could hunt it for deer but bow only. I didn't get my archery stamp yet this year. Do I need an archery or primitive stamp to use bow during shotgun and primitive seasons?

P.S. The fish and wildlife guide doesn't mention anything about this, and I searched the forum already for previous threads.

Yes you need it. You also need the orange.

DURING ARCHERY DEER SEASON: Archery Stamp required. Archers shall not possess firearms on their person or use dogs. Arrows must be well-sharpened steel broadhead blades no less than 7/8 inches in width. Expanding broadheads and mechanical releases are legal. All bows, except permitted crossbows, used for hunting deer (recurve, long, and compound) must have a draw weight of at least 40 lbs. at 28 inches or at peak draw. Blaze orange is not required except as noted in WMA Reg. # 11(Wildlife Management Area Regulations). See General Hunting Regulations for more archery information.

MUZZLELOADER DEER SEASON: Primitive Firearms Stamp required. Hunters may use only shoulder-fired muzzleloaders .44 caliber to .775 caliber; barrel length 18 inches or more with only one barrel operational. Inline ignition systems are permitted providing rifle loads from the muzzle. Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers, break/hinge-action muzzleloaders, and scopes are legal. Powder limited to black powder or black powder substitutes. A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed. Archers may hunt during the muzzleloader firearms season but must purchase a Primitive Firearms Stamp and wear at least 500 square inches of hunter orange on head, back, and chest.

http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/deer/

Bob as usual is correct!

The stamp is not technically specific to the weapon.

It allows you to hunt that specific deer hunting season.

So your archery stamp allows you to hunt archery season (in which you must use a bow)

Your general license allows you to hunt shotgun season (in which you can use gun, bow or blackpowder).

And the primitive arms stamp allows you to hunt blackpowder season (in which you may use a bow or black powder).

Bob as usual is correct!

The stamp is not technically specific to the weapon.

It allows you to hunt that specific deer hunting season.

So your archery stamp allows you to hunt archery season (in which you must use a bow)

Your general license allows you to hunt shotgun season (in which you can use gun, bow or blackpowder).

And the primitive arms stamp allows you to hunt blackpowder season (in which you may use a bow or black powder).

So If I'm understanding this right I don't need an archery stamp but I will need a primitive stamp for that season for bow. I know about the orange. Also thanks for the eregulations reference Horizontal forgot to check those.

So If I'm understanding this right I don't need an archery stamp but I will need a primitive stamp for that season for bow. I know about the orange. Also thanks for the eregulations reference Horizontal forgot to check those.
Correct

I believe you still need the archery stamp...

no archery only season is over so he does not need an archery stamp now.

if he has a hunting or sporting license he can hunt with the bow during the shot gun season.
if he wants to hunt with the bow during the mzloader season he needs an mz stamp.

I believe you still need the archery stamp...
Jesus Fing Christ stop believing and start comprehending! I dont care what Journey says....

You do not need a Fing archery stamp to hunt muzzy season.

You do not need a Fing muzzy stamp to hunt archery season!

Stamps are season specific not weapon specific.

In all seasons you are allowed to use a "lesser weapon" if you so choose.

Legal methods during gun seasons are shotguns, blackpowder guns and bows.

Legal methods during blackpowder season are blackpowder guns and bows.

Legal method during bow season is only bows (inclusive of permitted crossbows)

Get it yet?

Back
Top Bottom