Archery question

So of late, (last fall) my bow shoots so far to the right and high that I need to max out the sights to get it to shoot straight.

I am not so bad an archer that I need that kind of sight adjustment, so I am looking for ideas. I had it all lasered and leveled and stuff on saturday, but that did not help. Note that I can shoot so the arrows almost touch each other, so consistentcy is not a problem, but shooting center is. I notice my rest does not seem to hold position L/R, could that explain it? I got a new string last fall, but that seems to be fine. If I cannot solve this, the deer population will explode, mutate, develop intelligence, and we will all be killed! [shocked]

Well, no, but I will not be able to hunt with it this fall. [sad]

TIA.

What poundage are you shooting and what spine are the arrows you are using? Is your nock point placement set correctly?

Or it could be a sight issue. Take it off and shoot without it.

I notice my rest does not seem to hold position L/R, could that explain it? I got a new string last fall, but that seems to be fine.

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying your rest is loose? If your rest is out of alignment that will definitely affect your shot placement.

You say as of last fall your bow is not shooting well, and as of last fall you got a new string but that is supposedly fine.
What makes you think the string is fine? Did it shoot well for a while after the new string?
Maybe the string wasn't stretched enough before being installed, and has since stretched more causing your bow to no longer be tuned well.
If its a dual cam bow I believe being tuned well would be more important, but honestly I'm not sure how big of an impact that would make on shot impact.
If the string stretched significantly more then that could affect the position of the rear peep sight which would affect your vertical shot displacement.
Although, issues with strings stretching does seem kind of unlikely to me regarding compound bows.

It's most likely either the rest or cam lean. My guess is your rest got banged, but first check the cam lean.

Checking cam lean is easy. Use an arrow as a straight edge. Lay it across one cam with the end almost touching the other cam. Check both cams this way. My bow has a Y string that goes to each side of the cam's axle. To fix the lean I compressed the bow enough to get one side of the Y off the cam's axle and put a couple twists in it. That evened out the tension on each side of the cam's axle.

For the rest, try paper tuning it. Make a frame out of 1/2" PVC pipe, tape a piece of newspaper to it, place it more than 1 arrow's length from the target and shoot through it at 3 yards. If the arrow is leaving the bow laser straight you'll get a bullet hole from the shaft with 3 tears from the vanes. If it's leaving the bow sideways you'll get an oblong tear.

BTW, before I fixed my cam lean nothing I did to the arrow rest would get the arrow to leave the bow straight. The shaft always left a tear in the paper at least 1" long because it was flying sideways.

Arrow length, draw weight, draw length, overdraw, release or fingers, bow make, string loop or nock, carbon arrows, point weight? Broadheads or field points?

My bow started doing the same thing. I kept adjusting my sights to correct and it kept getting worse over a couple months. Turns out the offset harness slider bar had come a little loose and rotated enough that the fletching on arrow was contacting the harness string on it's way by. I couldn't really see it until I released the string from draw real slow (not easy to do with a 71# draw weight) and when it was in just the right area I could see the fletching just coming in contact with my harness string. I simply loosened the set screws and rotated the slider bar enough to clear the fletching on arrow. No more right shooting arrows. Check your bow, it could be it.

My bow started doing the same thing. I kept adjusting my sights to correct and it kept getting worse over a couple months. Turns out the offset harness slider bar had come a little loose and rotated enough that the fletching on arrow was contacting the harness string on it's way by. I couldn't really see it until I released the string from draw real slow (not easy to do with a 71# draw weight) and when it was in just the right area I could see the fletching just coming in contact with my harness string. I simply loosened the set screws and rotated the slider bar enough to clear the fletching on arrow. No more right shooting arrows. Check your bow, it could be it.

I checked tonight, this is exactly what is happening. I also think I may replace the rest, as I should not be able to move it left/right with finger force.

I checked tonight, this is exactly what is happening. I also think I may replace the rest, as I should not be able to move it left/right with finger force.
Glad you got it figured out. +1 to Chistech. As they say "experience is what you got just after you needed it." and Chistech had the experience.

Yes, replace the rest. It's a key component to accuracy.

Glad it worked out for you and I could help. I use a drop away rest (Golden Key) and that's all I use. Mine is 12+ yrs old and been on 3 bows. Good luck on setting your bow back up.

Back
Top Bottom