• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15's - Who makes the best ones and why?

I don't see a lot of comments on the LWRC DI (here and in other posts). I'm kinda torn between that and the Daniel Defense. What say the NES AR brain trust?

That said, for my lower build, I'm going BCM.

I have an M&P-15T that has been 100%. But time to add some more to the stable.

I don't see a lot of comments on the LWRC DI (here and in other posts). I'm kinda torn between that and the Daniel Defense. What say the NES AR brain trust?

I didn't realize LWRC made a DI gun. If you are going BCM for the lower, why not just BCM the hole gun?

I wouldn't have any qualms with a DD, though.

I think it was a year ago they introduced one. I've held it in my hands a few times at a few shops. Seems decent.

Let me rephrase, I have a spikes lower build all ready for an upper. I'm going BCM for that. Just need to sort through 100 versions on the BCM site.

I'm looking for a new finished AR in addition to my build. So now its just down to the LWRC or DD.

I think it was a year ago they introduced one. I've held it in my hands a few times at a few shops. Seems decent.

Let me rephrase, I have a spikes lower build all ready for an upper. I'm going BCM for that. Just need to sort through 100 versions on the BCM site.

I'm looking for a new finished AR in addition to my build. So now its just down to the LWRC or DD.

Use gandrtactical.com code BCM16 for 10% off. I just ordered an 11.5 that ended up being cheaper from BCM. Same quick shipping
Edit: code is for uppers although they do sell complete BCM rifles

Use gandrtactical.com code BCM16 for 10% off. I just ordered an 11.5 that ended up being cheaper from BCM. Same quick shipping
Edit: code is for uppers although they do sell complete BCM rifles

Thanks for the code, they do not have the one I decided on (figures!!) (and D'oh on the other post you replied to "#73")

Thanks for the code, they do not have the one I decided on (figures!!) (and D'oh on the other post you replied to "#73")

i had the same issue. i sent them an email to be added to the notification list for that item. They told me it was indeed available and they updated their stock. I would shoot them an email and ask.

I hear a lot of talk that LWRC is overpriced - probably that's why they were giving away $600 Aimpoints if you bought a rifle last year (piston only).

For the BCM, since you're in Mass, why not get a 14.5" lightweight barrel with BCM comp welded on - since you're gonna have to weld it on anyway, might as well save an inch.

The BCM KMR rails are awesome - mine is the more expensive one, not the Alpha, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

For the BCM, since you're in Mass, why not get a 14.5" lightweight barrel with BCM comp welded on - since you're gonna have to weld it on anyway, might as well save an inch.

The BCM KMR rails are awesome - mine is the more expensive one, not the Alpha, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

+1 on the ELW 14.5" gun with the KMR13, there are times I wish I would have gone that way instead of the 16"/KMR13.

The difference between the KMR and the KMR-A is the metal, the KMR is some space alloy that is super light. The Alpha is some kind of aluminum and weighs like an ounce more. IMO the KMR is the best hand guard out there, especially now that the Alpha is so much cheaper.

I am sure the DI LWRC is an extrememly high end rifle, can't go wrong. If you ever handled one and shot one you would likely agree it is among the best available. I have one of their piston rifles and it is really quite amazing. BCM and DD are also excellent choices.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I ended up ordering the BCM upper yesterday. So this is a done deal. Prob should have done the 14.5. Did not have a chance to get back to this thread and read most of the above since my last post. That said, no regrets. Thanks all.

According to the tracking #, I should have it next Tuesday.

BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ BCM KMR-*ALPHA* 15" Handguard
[Add on BCM® BCG:^ ADD BCM® Bolt Carrier Group (shipped inside upper)]
[Charging Handle Options:Add BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Mod 4 Charging Handle (Medium) Latch]
[Muzzle Device:Free BCM® Mod 0 Compensator (Installed)]

I think based on some reading and now a gut feel, the DD might be my next full rifle. About $100 less and I don't need all the Ambi controls that the LWRC has.

+1 on the ELW 14.5" gun with the KMR13, there are times I wish I would have gone that way instead of the 16"/KMR13.

The difference between the KMR and the KMR-A is the metal, the KMR is some space alloy that is super light. The Alpha is some kind of aluminum and weighs like an ounce more. IMO the KMR is the best hand guard out there, especially now that the Alpha is so much cheaper.

so what's the difference between an ELW and an LW?...i don't remember ELW being an option when i bought mine last year...

Last edited:
so what's the difference between an ELW and an LW?...i don't remember ELW being an option when i bought mine last year...

Iirc, the ELW is tapered and fluted and the LW is a traditional "pencil" barrel. The ELW is supposed to have some fancy balancing wizardry to it.

Just get one of these.

39dc2305800e465382997f818453dc02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does the brain trust think of Barrett's REC7 lineup?

seems like the DI goes for $1650, the lightweight piston for $1850, and the piston for $2100.

The lightweight makes sense cause is has no muzzle device (pick your own for Mass) and no irons (pick your own).

Overpriced? I paid maybe $1300 for my BCM with irons so not that far off.

Last edited:
I own a couple, but just built my first. It was a lightweight build and weighs about 6 lbs with the optic.

Looking forward to the range opening. FU Maura and Baker.

They were (at least, and maybe still are) from Bushmaster before they moved their manufacturing to Ilion, NY. I’ve heard good things about them but have no personal experience.
. Windham weaponry is the original Bushmaster. Remington bought Bushmaster laid everyone off moved to NY and went to shit. The man who sold Bushmaster to Remington Reopened original plant in Maine Hired everyone back and is now making Windham ARs in the original plant with the same or better than the original Bushmaster quality. Does this make sense because I think I'm confused, myself

Ill be honest, o didnt go through and read all 23 pages, but im hoping someone answered,

The one that you built is the best one.

Why, because you selected all the componants that are needed or desired to fit you personally .

Ill be honest, o didnt go through and read all 23 pages, but im hoping someone answered,

The one that you built is the best one.

Why, because you selected all the componants that are needed or desired to fit you personally .

Let me rephrase your words with mine, with good intentions. The best one is the one you train with, shoot well and have access to.

If I had any non-fudd guns, I'd take a spec gun from a reputable manufacturer than one I could cobble together when I started. Matt

Back
Top Bottom