AR15 Stock Mod for the Keltec Sub-2000

So I got around to cutting up the buffer tube I got (ebay for $11). The tube is a mil spec tube, probably made in China.

Because my parents moved away to SC, I no longer have access to benchtop tools so I used my dremel to cut the tube and a handheld grinder to try and flatten out my not so straight cut. I cut both sides of the tube. It is still not straight but it is good enough. I then used a stone to deburr the edges.

For the inside of the tube all I had was a polishing wheel which could not reach all the way to the center or the tube. Frankly, I don't think it was needed.

The hard part was finding the correct placement of the hole for the pin. For anyone else who tries this, the center of the pin hole is 9/16" from the end of the tube on the keltec. What I did was I put the tube on the keltec and lined it up making the flat underside as close as my eyes would allow to being in line with the gun and not tilted. I then took a pencil and marked the center on the side of tube. From here just make a mark at 9/16" for your drill spot. As always, start with a 1/8" (or less) pilot hole. From here I increased my drill bits in small increments until I hit 3/8". This is to ensure that the hole is not off center. I just used a handheld drill and a vice. Make sure to drill through the other side to ensure the holes line up.

And a shout out to thehoyt for providing some of the tools for this project, like the vice and drill.

RkhSd8s.jpg

q0t1qi5.jpg

oGKPcH1.jpg

As you can see below the pin I am using is not permanent. It seems to work for now.
s267q7c.jpg

The bolt has mere millimeters of space between it and the tube. I have not fired the gun yet so I don't know if it actually hits.
HRF7QOo.jpg

Finished product:

OiYx8tN.jpg

xYdGDru.jpg

The magpul MOE stock is too long for it to fold without milling out the tube. I didn't take a pic but I put a friends VLTOR stock on and it is a shorter stock and so the gun would folder fully without needing to mill out the tube.

This is still a work in progress. I need a real pin and a different stock. The pin should be 1 and 1/8" long. A member on the keltec forums used a 3" x 3/8" stainless steel bolt with a long collar and cut it up.

Nice work! I never really considered an aftermarket stock for the Sub2k, but I'd be willing to bet it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than the original stock.

Nice work! I never really considered an aftermarket stock for the Sub2k, but I'd be willing to bet it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than the original stock.
Without any doubt it is more comfortable. The stock supplied with the Keltec was extremely bad especially when trying to get a good sight picture using OEM sights. More R&D is needed on this upgrade, but I'll let Soloman02 touch upon them.

Back
Top Bottom