AR15 Sling

Single point slings dont really help offhan shooting stances. Take a look at Vtac slings-viking tactical. Its a two point sling, but is adjustable. Take a look at it.

urban e.r.t. slings makes a really nice single/multi point tactical sling. Functions smoothly, made in the US, and their customer service and support is incredible. Couldn't be happier.

What will be your gun's purpose? There are different styles for different functions.

I use a one point Bungee sling on my carbine, but that is because I expect 99.9% of my shooting to be off hand and under 200 yards at man size targets. In that circumstance, the sling isn't used for shooting stability but retention and it allows for the gun to easily drop out of the way when I need to transition.

The new magpul that converts from a one point to a two point might be nice, but I haven't used it to make an informed decision.

Dave

Contact Nickle. He's got a friend that has access to the nylon M-16 shooting slings. These are NOT the current military sling, but the proper M-16 length shooting sling similar to the M-14, but done in nylon webbing and a bit longer to keep the buckle off your hand/arm. I'll keep looking around here to see if I can find the guy's contact info, but I know Nickle has it as I got it from him.

Looking for a good option for an AR sling.. What do you guys like? Also, I was considering a singlepoint, but I would have to put the mount in. Is that difficult to do? Thanks.

You don't say what you want the sling to help you do.
Carry easier?
Shoot better?

I'm with MassMark: your standard USGI green web sling is hard to beat for both.

As an Appleseed instructor I can tell you by the end of the first day few people are still using anything other than standard GI slings.

You don't say what you want the sling to help you do.
Carry easier?
Shoot better?

I'm with MassMark: your standard USGI green web sling is hard to beat for both.

Sorry guys I got distracted. I'm pretty much an AR noob. I'm starting to get comfortable with basic operation and I was thinking that getting a decent sling would help me shoot better. Also I wanted to learn to transition to a pistol.

Sorry guys I got distracted. I'm pretty much an AR noob. I'm starting to get comfortable with basic operation and I was thinking that getting a decent sling would help me shoot better. Also I wanted to learn to transition to a pistol.

The problem is, a single-point sling is great for carrying your gun - especially in a vehicle, but will not offer you and stable shooting aide. YMMV, but it will also have a nasty tendency to smack the muzzle off your knee if you're transitioning to your pistol on the run, (at least that was my experience). I think for this, the two-point is a better option. if the USGI M-14 cotton web sling was just a tad longer, it would be a perfect option for both. A sling like a VCAS or Troy 2-point is great for shooting on the run and/or transitioning from rifle to pistol, but as with the single-point, does not offer a very stable shooting aide, (too springy). The USGI sling in fact - does. I have mine mounted on my AR extended to it's longest length for carry and transition and can with a pull of a buckle, tighten it up to use as an aide for more precise shooting. To me, it's not perfect, but the best of both worlds....If you're looking to improve your shooting, skip the VCAS and seriously - just buy a USGI cotton M-14 sling. There are still unissued slings out there and if you find you don;t like it - I'll take it off your hands...

Back
Top Bottom