AR15 Mags: Polymer or Metal?

You are in free america, P-mag all the way.

ETA: To clarify, I mean -Magpul- p-mags. Other brands of plastic mags may not stack up. Some of them are junk. (eg, promag makes some, etc. )

USGI AL mags are fine but Magpul p-mags will generally take more abuse and still function.

-Mike

Last edited:
Why P more than metal? Weight? Seriously, I live in Ma, educate me. I have some plastic 10 rounders that I sort of hate.

I've heard NOTHING but positive reviews on PMAGs. That said, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with most aluminum mags, especially if you replaced the followers. The only thing that really has been untested is how the plastic in PMAGs retains its strength over many years, but my guess is they will be just as good down the road as they are now. Put it this way though, I will be bringing PMAGs with me when I go overseas. The feedback I have received from the been there done that crowd is phenomenal.

Mike

PMAGs are fantastic. They don't dent, and they just seem to feed better. For those in MA, there are places you can get PMAGs permanently pinned to 10 rounds. Getting one can lead to "I want out!" syndrome.

Why on earth would anyone want a pinned PMAG?

Mike

You mean Magpul would even make one?! Doesn't that eliminate the reason you would even buy one?!! If 10 rounders are needed, just get C products 10 rounders and put the MAGPULS on your wish lists or something to look forward to list.

You mean Magpul would even make one?! Doesn't that eliminate the reason you would even buy one?!! If 10 rounders are needed, just get C products 10 rounders and put the MAGPULS on your wish lists or something to look forward to list.

Magpul doesn't make one. Third parties do.

To be fair, they feed really nice, are light, are durable, and are easier to reload and get a grip on than normal 10 rounders. And they come in the tacti-cool color of the week. They seem really popular in CA.

I wouldn't say get as many as you can, there are better things to spend your money on. A dozen mags is more than enough to leave you spares in case some fail.

Mike

I wouldn't say get as many as you can, there are better things to spend your money on. A dozen mags is more than enough to leave you spares in case some fail.

Mike

A bunch of people probably said the same thing earlier in 1994. He should buy as many as he feels comfortable with. If he has too many (if there is such a thing) he can always sell them later.

I probably only have a dozen or so USGI prembans now and I really wish I had more.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom