• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ar15 magazines

Im looking to get a 5.56 rifle. I know in MA, other than a 2k plus preban ar15, there are a few other options like cz bren 805, ruger mini14.

Do any of those options work with preban ar15 magazines? What about 9mm? Any that accept older glock magazines? Looking to keep it around 1300, but would like higher capacity. Thanks!

That accept AR15 magazines:
-Tavor
-Bushmaster ACR
-Kel-Tec RFB
-Kel-Tec SU16

and...

A pre Healy AR that’s not priced too bad. They’re out there, you just need a keen eye. There’s one in the classifieds right now that’s $1000 I think.

I bought my colt pre-94 ban for 1,500 within the last 6 months. If you are patient you can find good deals on pre-ban AR-15s. If what you want is an AR-15, just shop around and wait.

Most of the non-AWB rifles cost as much or more than a pre-ban, with a few outliers. Things like the SCAR, BREN, Tavor, or other military style semi-auto is going to probably be more expensive, especially if you have want to modify the rifle with proprietary parts.

That accept AR15 magazines:
-Tavor
-Bushmaster ACR
-Kel-Tec RFB
-Kel-Tec SU16

and...

A pre Healy AR that’s not priced too bad. They’re out there, you just need a keen eye. There’s one in the classifieds right now that’s $1000 I think.

Thank you! Im looking at the pre healy.

Last edited:
Can you update things like barrels etc on pre ban rifles?

Broadly speaking (which is dangerous when it comes to the law), you can do anything with a pre-94 ban AR in MA that you could do to a rifle in a non-ban state. The lower is the firearm. You can change barrels, the upper, change stocks, change grips, add muzzle devices, add bayonet lugs, etc, so long as you have the pre-ban lower. This doesn't apply to NFA issues that I assume you are aware of.

As a practical consideration, you have to know that, depending on the year of manufacture, Colt pre-ban rifles use non-standard AR parts. Most importantly, some use non-standard size pins for both the forward pivot pin and for the fire control group. This can make modifying these rifles more difficult and more expensive because you either have to buy adapters or buy special Colt-specific parts. Colt no longer uses non-standard parts in their new rifles and many of these parts are out of stock except through expensive third parties.

Hopefully someone will correct me if the above is not accurate.

You can find brand new IWI Tavors on NES for $1500. No issues with any '94 AWB or Healy-Ban. Accepts pre-ban AR mags. Price is the essentially the same inside and outside the People's Republic of Massistan, so if you move, no worries about losing money on your investement. X95 comes with quad rail and an 18" barrel option and factory 9mm conversion kits are available. Can upgrade the trigger if you want some more accuracy out of it.

I also recommend paying the $$$ for a pre 94 AR15. By the time you save an extra $700 to add to the $1300 maybe the Supreme court will tell Healey to go shit in her hat and you will have enough cash for 3 AR15s OR maybe we will all be mouldering bones still waiting. Just find one that is in good to excellent condition. You will not be disappointed.
I own both an AR15 and a Mini 14 and NO the mags are not compatible. The Ruger Mag is proprietary like most of their stuff.

Good luck finding a brand new Tavor x95 for $1500. Best I have seen anywhere is about $1700. Granted $200 is not big money but it is cash, hell it's 10 preban mags (assuming you shop around for them). Personally I'd skip the 18" and go with the 16" barrel. I think I paid $1799 out the door (tax in) for my 16" Tavor x95 in MA. You can also buy in NH and skip the sales tax then Fa10 it.

But, if you are looking for an AR15 like others have said, pay attention and shop around you can get them sub $1500 in MA.

Don’t corner yourself into what takes AR mags.
Go look at rifles and see if anything peeks your interest.
If your focused on pre ban mags you will have to base your choices that have pre ban mag possibilities.

Don’t corner yourself into what takes AR mags.
Go look at rifles and see if anything peeks your interest.
If your focused on pre ban mags you will have to base your choices that have pre ban mag possibilities.

I'm just looking for something with more capacity, so I'm not constantly reloading magazines at the club, that was my original thought behind it.

I also recommend paying the $$$ for a pre 94 AR15. By the time you save an extra $700 to add to the $1300 maybe the Supreme court will tell Healey to go shit in her hat and you will have enough cash for 3 AR15s OR maybe we will all be mouldering bones still waiting. Just find one that is in good to excellent condition. You will not be disappointed.
I own both an AR15 and a Mini 14 and NO the mags are not compatible. The Ruger Mag is proprietary like most of their stuff.

Thank you for that info!

You can find brand new IWI Tavors on NES for $1500. No issues with any '94 AWB or Healy-Ban. Accepts pre-ban AR mags. Price is the essentially the same inside and outside the People's Republic of Massistan, so if you move, no worries about losing money on your investement. X95 comes with quad rail and an 18" barrel option and factory 9mm conversion kits are available. Can upgrade the trigger if you want some more accuracy out of it.
Thanks for the information here. Going to do some research into the Tavors.

Get the CZ Bren dude. I held (not shot) the Bushmaster ACR which I was super excited to try, but it felt really awkward when shouldered. The CZ is a masterpiece.

I'm just looking for something with more capacity, so I'm not constantly reloading magazines at the club, that was my original thought behind it.
This loading magazine thing only applies if you don’t have enough mags to load what you think your going to shoot.
If your only shooting 30 rounds and just have one mag a 30 rounder is nice to have. Or load 3 10 rounders
If you dumping 500-1000 rounds in one trip ......you still need more mags and a loader

Good luck finding a brand new Tavor x95 for $1500. Best I have seen anywhere is about $1700. Granted $200 is not big money but it is cash, hell it's 10 preban mags (assuming you shop around for them). Personally I'd skip the 18" and go with the 16" barrel. I think I paid $1799 out the door (tax in) for my 16" Tavor x95 in MA. You can also buy in NH and skip the sales tax then Fa10 it.

But, if you are looking for an AR15 like others have said, pay attention and shop around you can get them sub $1500 in MA.

Shooting Supply in Westport has them for $1499 w/ pinned comp and 3 pre-ban mags. I think the post is still in the dealer classifieds.

This, so this ^^^

The reason YOU NEED a STANDARD PLATFORM AR15 is because when push comes to shove, and rifles/accessories/parts/maintenance supplies/tools DRY UP,
having a STANDARD PLATFORM AR15 will be critical, because you can salvage parts from damaged rifles to keep yours IN THE FIGHT .

While the CZ and Tavor and other platforms are nice, they should not be your FIRST PURCHASE. Once you have a STANDARD PLATFORM AR15 , buy anything your heart desires.

And remember, have a back-up bolt carrier group that you have function-tested, a full spring set, a spare firing pin/lower-parts-kit/extractor/charging handle/piston rings/magazine rebuild kits/etc.

Or, don't...

~Matt

iu
iu

iu
iu
iu

Last edited:
This, so this ^^^

The reason YOU NEED a STANDARD PLATFORM AR15 is because when push comes to shove, and rifles/accessories/parts/maintenance supplies/tools DRY UP,
having a STANDARD PLATFORM AR15 will be critical, because you can salvage parts from damaged rifles to keep yours IN THE FIGHT .

While the CZ and Tavor and other platforms are nice, they should not be your FIRST PURCHASE. Once you have a STANDARD PLATFORM AR15 , buy anything your heart desires.

And remember, have a back-up bolt carrier group that you have function-tested, a full spring set, a spare firing pin/lower-parts-kit/extractor/charging handle/piston rings/magazine rebuild kits/etc.

Or, don't...

~Matt

iu
iu

iu
iu
iu
just try ro remeber where it is and stuff your pockets when go time comes!

This, so this ^^^

Or, don't...

~Matt

iu
iu

iu
iu
iu

There is tremendous value in standardization. The AR-15 is the common standard. There are plenty of alternatives that are very attractive, but you lose the value of standardization. There is a huge market for aftermarket parts for the AR-15 and lots of knowledge and experience available for the platform, you can customize your rifle with practically no limit. You can change anything with options ranging from low to high cost, style, color, whatever.

I wouldn't buy something else unless you were very happy with it in its off the rack condition, because you will likely find that aftermarket parts are much more scarce.

I think the AR15 is the most modular rifle out there with many different manufacturers and also parts and accessories manufacturers. With the exception of older COLTS most of the other AR15 had interchangeable parts since the 80s. Because of how modular the AR15 was/is allows for less downtime for repairs. Also with just one lower receiver you can go from carbine to longer range SPR in a matter of seconds. There is also DI or piston.
There are a lot of good and great manufacturers of ARs just like non AR platforms out there.
By the way since the lower is the serialized part of an AR15 nobody can tell you “why do you need so many guns.” Buy 10 uppers but only one lower. You will always have “1” gun.

Back
Top Bottom