Ar15 headspace ?

I would never fire a new AR without first checking headspace. A perfect example is the ICE BCG I just recently bought through a GB here for a new AR I'm putting together. When I checked the HS it would not close on a go gauge. I then tried it in my other 3 ARs. It would only HS correctly in one of them. The other 3 BCGs I have HS correctly in all 4 ARs.
I shudder to think what could have happened, had I not "bothered" to check the HS. If the rifle had fired, it would have been from an unlocked breech. They will headspace correctly 90% of the time, but anybody who just takes it for granted that the HS will be correct is nuts.

No need to remove the "ejector pin and spring" from the bolt. (Also no need to remove the ejector....)

Curious...Why all the recommendations or mfg instructions to remove them?
Are you saying no need to remove regardless of the gauge type, is there a specific method/technique needed.

Thanks

Curious...Why all the recommendations or mfg instructions to remove them?
Are you saying no need to remove regardless of the gauge type, is there a specific method/technique needed.

Thanks

You do need to remove the ejector with some rifles, but not the AR. The AR ejector will sit flush with the bolt face when it's fully compressed - it won't affect the reading at all. (Try it yourself and you'll see what I mean.)

I've built a handful of rifles for myself and with friends and never bothered to check. If you are using quality name brand parts (barrel, bcg) and you trust the factory qcd them so they are in spec you should not have an issue. Its not something the end user can **** up on an AR.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Out of all the ARs I've built over the years I've only had one that didn't headspace (it was too tight,) and believe it or not it was one of the "premier" brands. I'd go out on a limb and say one might be more likely to get a tight one with one of the "premier" brands simply because they make a specific effort to keep tolerances to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom