AR15 Gas Tube Roll Pin

Hey guys....

I'm currently trying to change out an A2 upper for a flat-top. The only problem is, I cannot seem to get the gas tube roll pin out of the FSB. The pin looks almost as if it's peened over on both sides of the FSB.

Any ideas? Would it work to very carefully drill the pin out, and just replace it?

Just throwing out some ideas -

Depending on how much the pin is peened, it might be possible to "crimp" together one side of the pin with pliers. Then you could either drive out the pin with a punch, or pull it out from the side that is still peened over.

Also, it might be an option to file off the peened over part of the pin.

A few ideas; a bigger hammer and 1/16 punch and beat the hell out of it. worse case you need a new pin and tube, they're cheap. the most sense would be to leave the tube and pin in the FSB. The whole assembly will come out of the old upper that way

Last edited:
A few ideas; a bigger hammer and 1/16 punch and beat the hell out of it. worse case you need a new pin and tube, they're cheap. the most sense would be to leave the tube and pin in the FSB. The whole assembly will come out of the old upper that way

How do you get the barrel nut off then?

You might try drilling out a little on one side, not all the way thru but just enough to remove the peened over section and then drive it out normally

Are you trying to get the gas tube roll pin out or the two pins that hold the sight frame? The roll pin should come out without a problem even if it is peened over. These pins are not in that tight a punch that fits and a hammer is all you need and this pin should just pop out.
If you are trying to get the two pins out of the sight frame it is a diffrent problem. These pins are tapered and only come out one way. If they are driven too far or peened over it can be almost impossable to reomve them. Please stop by the shop I can help you with any of these problems.
Tahnks
John
413 579 1994.

Thanks everyone.

John, it's the gas tube roll pin I'm trying to get out. And thanks for the offer.

I guess I'll just keep trying to punch it out.

I thought you were going to remove the FSB. I would still suggest doing it that way. Removing the FSB is pretty easy. I use a barrel nut wrench that requiires FSB removal so I do it every build and never had any trouble

PB blaster on the tube, grab it with pliers, be GENTILE with it and it will come free. i had a gunked up one that wouldn't release and that worked just fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom