• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15 Build

I just got my receiver a couple weeks ago. As funds show up, i will get started on this build and take pics.

I got it transferred to me as a pistol receiver. So i am not sure what to do with it. Either a pistol build... or maybe do a CAR with it, but get an additional pistol upper... i dunno. Feel free to throw suggestions at me :)

I'm not quite sure on this but I believe if it's classified as a pistol that's what it has to be. You cannot make a SBR out of it. Just the same as you cannot take a pistol and add a stock to it. Might want to check up on that before you do something that can get you in trouble.

I thought it was the other way around: "Once a rilfe, always a rifle."

Meaning, you could add a stock to a pistol, providing it was registered as an SBR or a had a 16" barrel. You can't shorten a rifle and make it a pistol.

Rooster said:
I think Tony's right. Once a pistol, always a pistol.

OK- here it is. I have done a lot of research. also followed up with a few members at ar15.com who have BATF letters on this stuff.

This is what you can do:

Pistol receiver, can be built into a pistol, then into a rifle, then into a pistol again. BUT- you cannot have a buttstock or forward grip on the gun while a barrel of less than 16" is on it. (think about Thompson-Center here: ability to switch from pistol to rifle. But never adding the buttstock and short barrel, which would constitute an SBR).

Other concerns: If you are in possesion of an AR15 pistol, and own no other AR15 rifles, but also own an AR15 buttstock: This is considered intent to assemble an SBR. If you own a pistol and a buttstock, make sure you own either a rifle or rifle-length upper, so that you at least have all the parts to legally assemble a rifle.

Rifle receiver: always a rifle.

TonyD said:
Just the same as you cannot take a pistol and add a stock to it. Might want to check up on that before you do something that can get you in trouble.

Correct, you cant just add a buttstock to a pistol. But you can if you add a 16" barrel to it. Case in Point: Thompson Center, Mech-Tech CCU, Beretta Neos, and other pistols that have "rifle kits" for them.

str.jpg

na na na na naa na

If that is the type of filth I am expected to see on this board, I might as well have my account deleted.

I will not stand by when you objectify clips like that!

Back
Top Bottom