AR15 build, pinning stock / attaching brake

Hi All,

I've started my first build and I had a question on the stock/brake. I ordered a Magpul MOE stock, and an "Izzy" brake.

Can someone please explain to me when to have this things done? Do i just take the stock, barrel, and brake to a gunsmith and have it done before I complete the build? I am assuming that if I complete the build and take it to a gunsmith once it is "complete" I will technically be transporting an illegal firearm to the gunsmith.

Technically speaking you shouldn't have all the parts in your possession to be able to configure an assault weapon.

Practically speaking just drop the barrel off before you mate it to your upper. Don't forget your gas block.

Technically speaking you shouldn't have all the parts in your possession to be able to configure an assault weapon.

Practically speaking just drop the barrel off before you mate it to your upper. Don't forget your gas block.

constructive possession of AWB BS in MA is a stretch, IIRC there has never been a conviction with this sillyness. if i am wrong please correct me.

OP, call a gunsmith first and if they have an issue with you bringing the complete rifle then just don't. if they don't have an issue, put as much of it together yourself as you can so you don't have to pay for it!

I don't think you have commited a crime until you mate a pre ban upper with a post ban lower.

Seems like a good place for my first post. I don't see why your gunsmith needs the complete rifle in the first place. He will be pinning the stock in the position you have selected and permanently attaching your muzzle brake. IANAL but I am pretty sure it is perfectly legal to possess and transport an adjustable stock and a barrel with a removable muzzle device by themselves. The brown truck can bring them to your house. Determine where to pin the stock in the privacy of your home and bring what you need to the smith. Ely.

I 'pinned' my MOE stock simply by knocking out the horizontal pin indicated by the red arrow. The stock is no longer adjustable and it cannot be reversed without tools.

Mine is slightly different than the one in the picture. Mine has the friction lock lever, so that the stock stays nice and tight.

MagpulArrow_zps89599e33.png

Since you will need a gunsmith to pin/weld your muzzle brake, you might as well have him do the stock the right way.

Back
Top Bottom