AR15 buffer tube adjustable stock hole size?

Can anyone tell me the size and depth of the holes on the buffer tube for an AR-15?

I have a tube that was on a "Mass" gun and came with only 1 drilled/tapped hole to screw the stock in place. I bought a new one that is inclined to use the standard lock holes, which I don't have.

So I would like to drill a/some but I don't know what size and rough depth they are. Anyone care to help?

Thanks!

There may be a lot more to this than drilling a hole. You may have a rifle length tube with a carbine inside depth. This won't allow your adjustable stock to be slid toward the lower sufficiently. This is common with Ma. pinned stocks. Also does your stock match the tube? ie, commercial with commercial / mil spec with mil spec. Also some adj. stocks lock on to the tube using more than one hole. Could you post some pics? Which stock?

Or to simplify things, just get an adj. carbine tube [smile]

There may be a lot more to this than drilling a hole. You may have a rifle length tube with a carbine inside depth. This won't allow your adjustable stock to be slid toward the lower sufficiently. This is common with Ma. pinned stocks. Also does your stock match the tube? ie, commercial with commercial / mil spec with mil spec. Also some adj. stocks lock on to the tube using more than one hole. Could you post some pics? Which stock?

Or to simplify things, just get an adj. carbine tube [smile]

Uuhh.. crap. I had no idea there were this many questions to be asked!

It's a S&W carbine length gun. The new stock is a Magpul CTR stock. I am not terribly worried about getting the stock too close, I have big stupid monkey arms so I wanted it a touch longer than the way the pinned stock came. The stock locks with only one hole/pin.

I'll post up some pics/measurements a little later. Thanks!

No pictures yet but I did determine it is a rifle length tube on a Carbine length gun and the dimensions appear to be Mil spec dimensions. As compared to some dimensions I found online.

Is your CTR mil spec? Have you removed the old stock and slid the new one on for fit? Does your stock setup look like this?
7adahy5a.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom