AR15 barrels

i like watching people dial in their optics with random ammo
it depends. my 20" is zeroed on the m855 and really likes 68gr .223 as well - but all i had last time were 6 packs of hornady frontier 55gr match and it worked amazingly well at 300yds - after adjusting the drop amount it did group quite nicely and consistently.
steel tula was a waste of time, with steel wolf i had some better results, as of taiwan made cheap brass - did not have any lately.
the usual green tip imi m855 also groups reliably enough. all in all, with the 55cpr+ prices on proper ammo, and with match rounds sitting closer to 75cpr - it does not make it too easy.

So with your current AR and wolf gold what type of groups are you getting?
Wolf gold is great for the price and the brass is darn good for the money- well at least the Tawain made stuff. It will get close to MOA.
To be honest since i stopped shooting regularly im a 3moa shooter with irons on better days.
Holding the black of a SR target is my goal these days!
Honestly, never measured it really.
I had a mil spec trigger in it for about a month then changed it to a echo sport for fun shortly after.

Just recently put in a trigger tech and havent shot it yet

it depends. my 20" is zeroed on the m855 and really likes 68gr .223 as well - but all i had last time were 6 packs of hornady frontier 55gr match and it worked amazingly well at 300yds - after adjusting the drop amount it did group quite nicely and consistently.
steel tula was a waste of time, with steel wolf i had some better results, as of taiwan made cheap brass - did not have any lately.
the usual green tip imi m855 also groups reliably enough. all in all, with the 55cpr+ prices on proper ammo, and with match rounds sitting closer to 75cpr - it does not make it too easy.
Random M855 out of my wilson heavy match barrel 1/7 twist is good for 5 moa with flyers. Some days it will get to 3 moa. Inside 300 yards
I dont expect much from a 3 piece bullet design
M193 has always done better for me vs 855
I reload mostly now except a good batch of PPU M193 and some older wolf gold I will burn up shooting off hand.
This hornady bulk 55s I picked up years back in the 6000pc box are good for getting down to moa land just not consistent.
With the heavy 1/8 barrel scoped AR I have nosler 69,77 moa is not hard. Me getting consistently sub moa .....yeah thats the big problem.
I am happy when my rifle and ammo and I get along and I can hold 3 moa 10 ring . My standards are dwindling along with my eyes and skills.

Random M855 out of my wilson heavy match barrel 1/7 twist is good for 5 moa with flyers. Some days it will get to 3 moa. Inside 300 yards
I dont expect much from a 3 piece bullet design
M193 has always done better for me vs 855
I reload mostly now except a good batch of PPU M193 and some older wolf gold I will burn up shooting off hand.
This hornady bulk 55s I picked up years back in the 6000pc box are good for getting down to moa land just not consistent.
With the heavy 1/8 barrel scoped AR I have nosler 69,77 moa is not hard. Me getting consistently sub moa .....yeah thats the big problem.
I am happy when my rifle and ammo and I get along and I can hold 3 moa 10 ring . My standards are dwindling along with my eyes and skills.

Pretty much.. earlier this year I shot a 100 yard walk n paste using an ar15 wilson service rifle barrel with 3k rounds through it and 55gr PPU ball ammo. I wanted to see what I could do. That ammo started showing it's true colors on the 300 yard reduced rapid fire target... 600 yard reduced slow prone I managed to keep them all in the black.....but the black on the reduced 600 yard target includes the 7 ring, so that's about as good as it gets.

That BCM upper was $800 iirc

If you roll your own....

$120 for upper reciever
$ 15 for gas tube
$50-80 for gas block
$100 for muzzle device (avg)
$190 for BCG
$250-350 for barrel (looking at BCM prices)
$180-200 handguard

You're already well over the cost of the assembled upper and you havent even purchased tools to assemble it yet

Torque wrench will set you back 50-100
Barrel nut wrench is another 50-100...will most likely include muzzle device width wrench/flats
Upper reciever block is another 50-75

Shipping on all of the above....cuz no one vendor is going to have all in stock.....chuck in another 30-100

Its your money but lets not pretend that its going to cost less to gather parts and assemble yourself.
I can do that way cheaper
$50 Anderson upper or dsarms
$10 gas tube
$30 gas block
$50 muzzle brake (plenty in this price range)
$100 bcg (aim, tool craft..etc)
$150 barrel (BA Hanson profile)
$150 handguard (plenty around this price)
$60 charging handle (can even get ambi at this price)
Total $600

Palmetto is selling rifle kits for $399 pretty much every week. I have 3 sub $500 PSA rifles that shoot MOA with decent ammo.

If you have one rifle, yes buy a BCM. My primary is a BCM.

If you want toys and don't have a bottomless wallet, go shop around PSA's site.

If you have an unlimited wallet, go buy a sampling of LaRue rifles.

Palmetto is selling rifle kits for $399 pretty much every week. I have 3 sub $500 PSA rifles that shoot MOA with decent ammo.

If you have one rifle, yes buy a BCM. My primary is a BCM.

If you want toys and don't have a bottomless wallet, go shop around PSA's site.

If you have an unlimited wallet, go buy a sampling of LaRue rifles.
Psa wont ship anything to Massachusetts
So they get theistockphoto-185404931-170667a.jpg

And yet you continue to perpetuate it

I didnt mention PSA......just peoples bad choices to live in Mass....or Ct.....Or RI......or NY.....
LOL, I’m not the one who bitched about it so I don’t care if I perpetuate it.

And yes, you did mention PSA, implicitly rather than explicitly, by quoting it and responding to it.

I like
I bought a 14.5 Rosco Bloodline but not finished the build.

Attachments

• 6160890B-B061-4FC7-AD9B-C2DA96CC0E6F.jpeg
    6160890B-B061-4FC7-AD9B-C2DA96CC0E6F.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 5
And im all honesty, i probably wouldnt use there items for this build.
I already have a basic AR.
I guess this is one i want to spend money on.

Gucci i guess.
The other day, im pretty sure i even decided to make it an sbr. But im not a 100% on that yet

Thats him pointing out that PSA sells non gucci ar parts at a reasonable price.

Contrast that with the brawndo guzzling darwin award candidate that chose to live in mAss whining they wont ship to the PRM.......one of something like 3 states they wont ship to.

Seriously.....its not as the writing hasnt been on the wall since Mass passed/ratified its constitution dated Oct 1780

Oh yes, because up and moving to another state is so much money than a setup from palmetto.

If i wanted to lean on the cheaper side, i could always order a setup from midway,brownells,midwest and gunbroker.

Or go to one of the many locals to get it nearbthe similar price

So why get triggered over the mere mention of PSA?

On the rest of the mAss dig....you clearly missed the point

Carry on....nothing to see here.....mass is a wonderful state with low taxes and a high degree of freedom......
Wasnt triggered. Just stating the obvious.
As mentioned, there a whole thread on why psa sucks.
Id rather deal with a business that will do business with the shit hole of a state
No, mass is a shit state. Its fully understood.

Is it their fault you chose to live in mAss?
This is true, its also true a company can do what they will. Although to blanket ban shipping anything is just dumb. Im sure the bean counters factored in the losses on that decision.

Yep, im still a newb. Yep you can call me stupid.

But, the eay to learn is to ask questions.
I figured i should probably direct this more to AR15.com , but there is a wealth of info here too.

So, im in the purchasing phase of parts for a proper AR build.
I have the trigger, optics, upper and lower parts already.
The buffer system is chosen.
The stock is between a few.
The fore end/ handguard is between a few.

The bolt and carrier system is either going to be a lightweight version the dame as the buffer or a superlative arms piston setup

Now, when it comes to barrel

There are so many producers of them.
Are they similar to uppers and lowers where the vast majority are just cranked out at the same factory and just re branded by each seller?

Or do places like faxon,bcm,odin works,nemo,proof actually make their barrels from scratch?

Then i know the finishing is another conversation, which someone probably broke down on youtube very well.
I admit i havent dug into that really yet.

Currently at the moment, im eyeing nemo for my barrel.

Whats its use going to be?
Like most a range toy, but id like to branch out further eventually. But wish to focus on accuracy,speed and reliability.
My brain says a heavy barrel. I lnow that doesnt tie in with the speed mentality.

Sbr,carbine,rifle?
Its going to be a 14.5/16 inch. Im tinkering with the idea of longer

Thanks in advance
give these guys a call, a sbr length is just a custom order away.

Contrast that with the brawndo guzzling darwin award candidate that chose to live in mAss whining they wont ship to the PRM.......one of something like 3 states they wont ship to.

😆 A for effort on the insults. It sure is smart though, to choose where you live based on the douchey policies of a few online firearm stores. The fact you think them choosing to not ship legal items to MA residents is somehow linked to personal responsibility on my end is preposterous.

Personal responsibility would be buying a beach house on a loose cliff and accepting the risks of it falling into the ocean. Choosing to live in a state with known laws and then coming across a company that refuses to do business within those laws has nothing to do with personal responsibility. It has to do with them being c***s. Or, are you one of those meek, ineffectual people who refuses to fight for the 2A where it is challenged, and intends to just keep moving to the last bastions of 2A freedom? From your statements, yes you are one of those meek, ineffectual people.

And I’m not whining about them not shipping to MA. Their products are shit-tier swill that I wouldn’t buy anyway. I just think they’re c***s.

No one moves to/chooses to remain in Mass without being aware of the consequences to liberty/freedom.....let alone an individual that frequents RKBA forums.
Still cheaper to source elsewhere than it is to up and move.

Maybe, you are one of those rich people, or maybe you were born in another state or had rich parents that moved you out of state.

I dont know.
But stop beating a dead horse with the excuse of just move. Its childish at best.

No money....living in a free-er state where there was good potential for improvement was high on my priority list so I made sacrifices I need to make for it to happen.

We all make choices.....I'm good with mine......your statements seem to illustrate you may not be with yours.....even if you havent realized it yet
My choices are based in reality.
Shits expensive.
Too expensive.
So, i wont sacrifice everything to move elsewhere to be a slave to a paycheck to survive.

Im free-er in a non free state than i would be in a free state do to purely costs alone.
And for those shops that are not a big pile of pu$$ies and scared of something thats not even law.

Drive or call around and see what shops have what. Some shops might even have some lightly used stuff lying around collecting dust.

Oh....ok.

Clearly spoken from the perspective of a person who's never owned a business and had to incur cost/consequences of arbitrary application of "law"....let alone the consequences to making payroll/insurance etc that follow from poor decisions......there are many reasons why gun related as well as manufacturing in general are fleeing Mass for less punitive states......and one of the reasons that NH is packed with them
You are right, i dont own a business.
What pointed that out sherlock?

Whats NH packed with?
Sig,ruger? Those are the main 2 i can think of.
Winchester in Connecticut.

And if you think its going to be like that for long, you are foolish. Why you may ask? Because as usual, Massachusetts residents are flooding new hampshire and already screwing it up.

And guess what?
Sig and ruger and winchester still sell to Massachusetts as well.

Smith and wesson is still here.
Remmington is living a half life in NY and still sell in Massachusetts.

And there are piles of smaller manufacters and 3rd party sellers that will gladly take the business and do.

The just want to be a bunch of uppety pricks and bend the knee to nothing.

You couldnt pay me to take any of their products or even buy 3rd party products frim them.
Even if i lived out of state.

Back
Top Bottom