AR15 Ban...should we be nervous?

I called Riley's up in NH, to go over some laws and such for different weapons. I asked him about new AR's with all the trimmings, and he said, "we got them.....for now". Qhwn I asked what that meant, he said he was not sure about the future. He told me that the AR has been real popular, and that he has been selling a lot of them.

Apparently, he is saying, a lot of people are concerned that if Obama gets elected, that the AR could go the way of the Dodo. I am holding off buying a pre-ban AR here, due to the cost being about 1500 for what I want. When I asked Riley's what the same thing would cost new, he said about 900-1000. Big difference and it is a new weapon. So, since I am looking to move within the next year, I can wait to get it when I do move.

Now I am concerned though. If this is enough to frighten the gun store owners, does that mean we should be afraid? Anyone else concerned?

Should I go out and pay the extra money for a pre-ban or wait because I am simply overconcerned about this?

Anyone else heard anything about this?

Now I am concerned though. If this is enough to frighten the gun store owners, does that mean we should be afraid? Anyone else concerned?

Sure, we're all concerned. It's certainly a real possibility. But it's also a good line for a dealer to use to try and move inventory...

I was thinking about them banning the ar. People could argue that the AR is essental to the United States because of the jobs it creates. Most ARs and parts/ assessories are made in USA. In CT there are few manufacturing jobs, but we still got Stag and Colt. If they ban AR, not only shooters be mad, but alot of people will get laid off. Someone needs to show Obama or Hillary how important the AR is to the US, for jobs.

You should always be hoarding guns and ammo (or reloading supplies)as your personal finances permit. [grin]

That being said, I think the guy at the store was just being overly alarmist in order to facilititate selling you a rifle. I'm not downplaying the possibility of a ban being initiated
by hitlery/obama/mccain, but it's not happening "tomorrow".

-Mike

If Hitlery or Osama get in, expect it. And, expect it to be worse than the previous ban... and permanent

Like I said before, they will most likely push a ban and prevent us from buying any more. But they will have a hard time confiscating what we already have as owners. I dont think the USA is ready to go down that road yet. I think they will have quite a fight on their hands and the Government knows it. Still a lot of hard core (pry it off my cold, dead hands mentality) owners out there that are not going to just give up their guns like oversees did and I dont think the politicians want that kind of fight right now. Although it could happen I just personally feel they wont take away what we have now. I could be wrong.
Buy up EVERYTHING you can now. Before its too late. [grin]

I was thinking of waiting until I moved to save 500-600 bucks, but I guess that is a risk. Think I will have to see what this does and if it starts to make me nervous, more than it does already, I will have to just go ahead and spend it. Just hate to lose $600 more for the same gun I can get when i live in NH for less. Wish there was a way i could buy and keep that now, but it is a post ban. There is no way anyone can think of is there? What about if i have a friend that is a cop, anything can be done with that? Maybe he can buy it for me and once i move he can transfer it to me?

Does transferring across state lines get messy?

I can'nt say it enough remember in November. We have a voice in who governs. Don't tell me that Obama is good for jobs and universal health care in November and come crying in June when he outlaws AWs.

Like I said before, they will most likely push a ban and prevent us from buying any more. But they will have a hard time confiscating what we already have as owners. I dont think the USA is ready to go down that road yet. I think they will have quite a fight on their hands and the Government knows it. [grin]

To see how this might all happen at some future point, read Matthew Bracken's "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic."

Quick teaser - a shooter with a "sniper" rifle starts lobbing shots into a football stadium. Relatively few are killed by the rounds, but when the crowd realizes what's going on and stampeedes, scores are killed. The U.S. Government responds immediately by outlawing all semi-autos, and requiring they be turned in for destruction.

That's when the freedom-loving folks start to take action...

Here's another scenario: Twenty years or so from now, the vast wave of baby boomers who apply for their social security checks are told the well has gone dry. There is protesting and then rioting in the streets, the government declares martial law, and when gun-owners start to make the politicians a little too nervous, they start to confiscate the guns. All hell breaks loose....

Any POs (current or former) who would like to give their thoughts on how well a confiscation order would go over? [smile] [laugh]

If Obama or Hillary wins I'm probably going to buy one in November - just in case.

I'm personally not too nervous (wrt a new AWB) from Hilllary. Love her, or hate her; one thing that is clear is that she's a political animal. The ONLY thing that she'll be interested in if she wins is winning the 2012 election. After the disaster that the Democrats caused to themselves after the last AWB, I can't see Clinton having the will or desire to support another one. She's just too much of a politician.

Obama on the other hand. He's an idealist, and worse of all, he's part of the Chicago culture that is VERY anti-gun (his work for the church in that city). I fear he would get behind a ban 100%.

Don't know about McCain --- I think he would be against a new ban. But who knows.

AR15 Ban...should we be nervous?

Yep, be nervous. Be very nervous. Gun control may have gone away as a campaign issue but it is alive and well (sic) as an objective of many liberals. You have to remember, they don't trust you! With guns, with your own money, with controlling your life and the lives of your loved ones.

Maybe nervous is a bit too strong or the wrong word. Perhaps vigilant and prepared are better terms.

My black rifle impulse buy of a few weeks ago was prompted pretty much by this issue. I didn't even like the freakin' thing at the time.

I was in a similar position. At the time of the '94 AWB, the Bank of Boulder had a great CD program which gave you a Weatherby up front instead of interest later. But for the AWB, I'd have happily given them $1,500 for a classic blued steel and walnut rifle, complete with scope and case.

However, any time the government declares you are no longer fit to own something that was perfectly legal before, you need to get it. Especially when, as with the AWB, that declaration is based upon mere cosmetics and a willful disregard for the utter failure of other such prohibitions.

Still don't have a Weatherby, but I've got an AR! [wink]

While I'm always nervous about what new gun laws may come out to chip away at my rights, I'm not so sure that the new President will have the necessary backing to push a new ban through. It would seem that a good amount of our congress critters are gun shy about being attached to gun grabbing legislation. Yes, there are many that propose this legislation, but they haven't gone all that far. The Dems have had a majority in both houses for a year and so far there hasn't been a whole lot of movement on anti gun legislation at the federal level. It would seem from some articles I've read, there is a big block of Dems which support our gun rights. If anything, politians are first concerned with self presevation and taking our guns away is a losing proposition with a lot of them.

I think at the moment, we need to hope that the SCOTUS upholds and supports that the 2nd is an individual right in the DC gun ban case. This will be the first step to preventing newer gun bans to take effect.

Because they will simply be harder to push through for fear of them being overturned later.

Now, having said that, I think that cliton (oops, slip there [wink]) will stop at nothing to ban everything short of muskets.

something to consider

I think a more important question would be as follows.

Lets say you wait until you move to NH, and buy a "post ban" (according to MA law). Do you plan on coming back to MA sometime in the future? Or visiting a MA range for a shoot? If so you would not be able to bring that "evil rifle" across the state lines as if.

Correct? I think an advantage of buying what MA considers a "preban" would be the ability to cross state lines (assuming all other laws are adhered to of course)

What group buy on lowers would that be? Is there some deal out there that I can be a part of? Any more info on this would be great. Thanks.

if your name was GREEN you will get in on all the fun buys.

I wish those were prebans though...

just out looking for a preban lower now that someone is not going to try and rape me on price.

Lots of speculation on the subject.

If Obama gets in (and that looks less likely all the time), then bank on an ATTEMPT to pass an AWB. I'm not sure if they'll have the muscle to pass it. Many politicians know Gun Control is a guaranteed loser for them, and will not back it.

If Hillary gets in, get prepared for "beat around the bush" restrictions, because she will certainly remember what happened in '94 after the AWB. Some of the folks that voted for that found themselves losing the election. She's smart enough to know that a ban would hurt her party, come 2010.

Some FFL's are certainly fear mongers (I know a couple that would), trying to get people to BUY NOW. I don't know anybody at Riley's, so I won't comment on them, one way or the other.

My suggestion is that if you have your heart set on buying something, do it THIS YEAR, well prior to November.

I didn't do that prior to 1994, and I have since then paid some dear prices for what I own now.

I do have to thank Bill Clinton for giving me the wake up call to start buying MBR's, and quit stalling. I'd wager good money the effect was NOT what he planned.

Man, if I ever KNOW a ban is coming, I cannot think of a single better investment than pre-ban guns.....assuming they dont outright ban and confiscate them all! I wish i could go back to 1984, get a MG license/permit, and stock up on full auto stuff. I think that stuff has increased in price thousands of percents. Hell, maybe i should just take out a loan for 10 grand, by 10 grand in .223 and then in a few years, it'd appreciate in value more than any "safe" stocks i can think of!

I guess you are right. I will try to find out what I can now. Of course, I have thought of something I overlooked before. I have a post ban Hbar, so if I move, I can technically just buy a shorty upper and telescoping stock and problem solved. Wouldn't even have to buy a whole new gun. Of course, I would like to have one of each. There always is the possibility of moving back, and although my buddy who is a cop said I would likely never have an issue because i came from out of state, and just don't register, I still would like to find a preban lower to have and maybe do my own build. If someone knows of one that I won't get killed on in price, I would like to find one.

Like I said before, they will most likely push a ban and prevent us from buying any more. But they will have a hard time confiscating what we already have as owners. I dont think the USA is ready to go down that road yet.
I can't seem to find a reference, so perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe that New Yorkers' guns were confiscated after the passage of the Sullivan Act.
Wish there was a way i could buy and keep that now, but it is a post ban. There is no way anyone can think of is there?
Buy it now and store it with a friend who lives in a free state. NEVER bring it into MA. Make sure your friend agrees to give it back to you when you move up there, and make sure you have a way to sell it if for some reason you DON'T move up there.

Back
Top Bottom