AR15 action block/vise block

ntomsw

Banned
Anyone have one of these close to Worcester? I need to install my A2 muzzle device, but I do not have an action block or anything to clamp a vise too.

If you can help, let me know. Thanks.

Even if there is a place locally to buy one, would be helpful as well.

If you only need to clamp the barrel (presuming there is an inch or so of barrel not protected by a handguard, etc.) an old school gunsmith trick is to get a block of wood (small section of 1"x2" is fine, only needs to be a few inches long), drill a hole through the 2" face that is abouth 1/8" smaller than the barrel diameter. Then cut the block of wood in half right on a line right across the diameter of the hole you just drilled.

You can then use these two blocks of wood with "half rounds" out of them as a pair of vise jaws for the barrel. Since it's wood, it will compress a little but won't mark the barrel.

I've also got one of these you could borrow for a weekend. If you have a table or bench with a single hole in it, it will mount up pretty quick.

Buy WoodRiver Patternmakers or Gunstock Carving Vise at Woodcraft

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

You can make your own out of 2x4s. Drill a hole a little smaller than your barrel OD then clamp it in a vise. If you have an A2 FSB, then notch out a recess for the A2.

Well my 2nd AR is done besides that muzzle device install. So sooner then later.

I plan on making an order within the next day or two. Ill let you know when it arrives and if you still need it I can loan it to you. I won't be be needing it for a while since I'm still looking for parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you doing the pin/weld yourself? If not, let the gunsmith install it

I got it! Success! [laugh]

I went next door to my neighbors house who has a vise. I wrapped a towel around the whole rifle, and put the lower in the vise. I was just afraid to do it that way without the action block, because I didn't want to twist or break something.

I got it on though. So I am all set.

I will have to get a small table and a vise for my basement just so I have it. I am sure you can get a cheap vise somewhere.

Oh I never thought of them. Yes, there is one on the other side of Worcester. Maybe 15 minutes from my house. I never thought of them. Thanks!

It'll probably last about 2 uses but you'll realize how useful they actually are. Let me know when you're ready for a real vise. [wink]

You have a line on a good vise? I'm ready to toss my harbor freight special.

Browse Craigslist for Wilton vises , don't think anything 70 years old is garbage because it isn't. They are built like anvils. Ridgid is good, forged not cast. Ridgid 5"

Or any new Wilton. They aren't built like they used to but still are damn good compared to the Harbor Freight's which are made from aluminum foil.

I got it! Success! [laugh]

I went next door to my neighbors house who has a vise. I wrapped a towel around the whole rifle, and put the lower in the vise. I was just afraid to do it that way without the action block, because I didn't want to twist or break something.

I got it on though. So I am all set.

I will have to get a small table and a vise for my basement just so I have it. I am sure you can get a cheap vise somewhere.

Glad it worked for you, in future clamping on the barrel itself is a better way to go though - you won't put any stress on the index pin, upper, or in this case, the lower.

Also good to keep in mind that a lot of crush washer / barrel / muzzle device combinations will need the crush washer incrementally crushed (ie. tighten, release, tighten, release) until at the final "stage" of indexing the muzzle device to an appropriate amount torque.

Just use his vise, and do the 2x4 trick above. I just did this for my build and had no problem. I thought it would be a lot scarier than it really was. Quick and easy and no action block needed.

Yeah I know. I have never needed one before. My friend owns his own garage though in Sterling and I am sure he has a vise I could use. Just not sure if I really need the action block or not.

Back
Top Bottom