ar15 80% build wizards : what would this total cost to for a gunsmith complete this project

Listing went poof.
Got it to work.

Looks like a full parts list at cursory glance. So just some milling and basic assembly.

Be careful with them. Make sure it's in stock. I've been waiting for a month on some sights.

Eric is good on comms. My order may have slipped through the cracks at this point.

Last edited:
Router or drill press and poof, like magic!!
I don’t think anyone with an FFL of any kind would be able to help you complete this for legal reasons, although I am most certainly not a lawyer.

however, if you had shop in HS, YOU can complete it!!

My thoughts IF you could find a gunsmith to this hes now manufactured a firearm, smiths are not manufactured so now he needs manufacturing license and then has to pay 15% or so to the gun masters (govern ment tax on gun manufacture) now add his hourly rate and ......well its cheaper for you to just buy a complete firearm or tool up and build it out yourself.

setting aside reality where a smith cannot perform 80% builds, how would anyone on this forum be able to answer this ludicrous question of cost? Further, if unable to perform an 80% build I’m not sure I could ever look my family in the eye.

however, if you had shop in HS, YOU can complete it!!

kind words of encouragement, but after reading his other threads I would be less than confident of his mechanical abilities.

Last edited:
Not a gunsmith.
Needs to be a 07 FFL (manufacturer). He would be manufacturing a firearm for you. And with having to stand behind the product and the liability, and covering his overhead, the cost would probably go up to where you could just buy one.

Not a gunsmith.
Needs to be a 07 FFL (manufacturer). He would be manufacturing a firearm for you. And with having to stand behind the product and the liability, and covering his overhead, the cost would probably go up to where you could just buy one.
if it went the 07 route, would not the manufacturer (the guy who hogged it out) need to apply to batfe for a serial number before it's returned to the client? it would then at that point begin a paper trail, no?

if it went the 07 route, would not the manufacturer (the guy who hogged it out) need to apply to batfe for a serial number before it's returned to the client? it would then at that point begin a paper trail, no?
Obviously, yes.

And a 4473, and efa10 if it's MA

Not a gunsmith.

Obviously, yes.

And a 4473, and efa10 if it's MA

This is all you need to read.

You don’t apply for a serial number. As an 07 you can manufacture a rifle or lower or pistol or.... You have to properly mark with manufacture, location , model, serial, caliber. All per atf regulation. It goes in your manufacturing book.

Serial number must be unique to the manufacture.

Truly defeats the purpose of buying 80%. Just buy a complete lower or rifle

hmmmm so I could get an LLC called Boogaloo LLC, and manufacture "Babykiller-15" with serial numbers 666-A through 666-Z [devil][laugh][laugh]

I was with you right up until your last sentence. A milling machine is the best option.
Best yes but the way most of these 80% kits are used you drill so many holes thered not a lot of side pressure when you start taking out the left over bulk.

What's the point of doing an 80%?

Even if you do find an FFL that is a manufacturer that is willing to do this, it'll still need a serial number and will be transfered to you the same as any other complete lower or rifle would.

How about a group buy and then a group build of the lowers? Anyone have a mill that would want to talk us thru it and we perform the machining. He could be paid as a instructor with no machining performed by him? I’m sure we could get a dozen people or so jump in on it. We could do multiple units. He just has to make sure we aren’t f in up

Back
Top Bottom