Ar10 build.

wasralex22

NES Member
I have a M&P ar10, that I am planning to finish. This is my first ar10, so I am having trouble deciding on what to get, and obvious compatibility.

I would like to keep it simple. Stock, rail system, etc. What are some good products out there that would be compatible with the M&P 10?

Post pictures of yours if you'd like!

I'm thinking a simple A2 stock, rail system (I don't know what I will go with yet) and replacing the crap grip and going Magpul.

I’m guessing it’s a DPMS pattern gun, right?

If you want to lighten the front end, Dark Hour Defense has somewhat affordable magnesium handguards. Their parent company is V Seven. I just picked up one of their 11” AR ones for a 22lr build. It’s a featherweight, but seems good quality. Qualifier though is that I haven’t mounted it yet though so I can’t comment on how sturdy it is. And it does require timing the barrel nut unfortunately. But you’re not likely to find a lighter handguard and it’ll help offset a heavy 7.62 barrel.

There also Centurion Arms for a more combat oriented rail. I have the 13.5” on my 6.5CM AR-10 “battle rifle”, and I like it a lot. Very sturdy.

I would STRONGLY suggest a short-stroke piston gas setup for an AR10. Search online for Adams Arms.

I also recommend the heaviest buttstock that you can find to balance the weight distribution. There are some polymer free-float handguards out there that will help.

The m&p is a proprietary product. I believevthe gas tube length is different, and some other small parts. So check them all out.

The m&p is a proprietary product. I believevthe gas tube length is different, and some other small parts. So check them all out.

I don’t know about all the parts. But I’m pretty sure at the very least that the upper is compatible with DPMS high pattern handguards.

OP, definitely validate that with more research before purchase.

Check the bolt compatibility! I've read conflicting accounts whether or not the M&P 10 is compatible with DPMS bolts/bcg's. Supposedly DPMS pattern barrels fit, so if you use a given barrel and buy it as a combo with the bolt, IMHO they should fit. I did a quick search on the M&P 10 receivers and saw a lot of of conflicting information posted by mostly dipshits who don't know what they are talking about. Some things are proprietary for 308-AR's / AR-10's. Unfortunately, a lot of numbskulls are very interested in the big boy AR's and like to post over and over again despite having zero experience.

Fun project. A little more challenging than an AR-15, but barely. I built a DPMS AR-308 in 6.5 CM, starting from a NES group buy port cover LOL. For long distance I suggest the 6.5 Creedmoor and a high quality barrel and bolt plus a Geissele or equivalent match trigger. I used a Premium Series Ballistic Advantage stainless 20" and it's ~1/2 MOA accurate but if I did it again I'd go 24" for the extra velocity. I have a 24" Criterion match barrel I'm going to try.

My BCG is a JP and I'm using the JP high pressure bolt. Everything else is to your preference. I used a JP free float but I like the looks of the Centurion listed above. For a buttstock, Luth AR's has worked very well for me. I think my upper/lower combo is Andersen or something similar- doesn't really matter as the magic is coming from the barrel, bolt, and trigger. I do use the O-ring trick or a twisted wrap of teflon tape on the rear trunnion to lock up the fit between upper and lower. For long distance shooting this will matter.

I suggest getting the barrel, gas block, and gas tube from the same supplier.

If you know someone or a shop with parts, you can check to make sure the upper works with a DPMS style barrel and even check a BCG. I'm in north central Mass- if you ever head out this way or at least to Worcester and want to check a barrel and BCG fit, send me a PM.

Oh, here's the link to my project. Receivers were Aero Precision. Done! Aero M5 in 6.5 Creedmoor

Oh, here's the link to my project. Receivers were Aero Precision. Done! Aero M5 in 6.5 Creedmoor

That’s a nice build. Ironically, my AR10 6.5 build is ending with the port cover. It’s lost in my parts bins somewhere, so I built it without for now. The barrel is a Faxon 16” gunner, but I’ve been busy finishing up a thesis and haven’t gotten to the range yet to try it out. So I can’t report accuracy of the barrel. Using a sprinco orange with a shorty heavy buffer so I can use a carbine buffer tube.

But all in with optic and bipod, it weighs 9.78lbs without a magazine.

Sorry about the potato quality photo.
C0C0FEFB-88A4-4C47-B6C1-88339F573720.jpeg

Last edited:
I ended up doing the Aero Precision M5E1 in 308 and am interested in getting a separate upper in 6.5CM just because I don't have the space in the safe for a completely separate rifle. I did mine in a 20" barrel as that seemed to be the consistent rhetoric on the internet. Mountain is absolutely correct - you have to wade through the BS and make sure all of the parts fit. Unlike the AR-15 platform where there's 1 accepted mil-spec set of dimensions/criteria, the AR-10/.308 is more of the "Wild West."

Geissele LPK and SSA-E trigger, with the Aero Precision buffer and tube, and a Strike Industries stock. If I found a cheap adjustable Luth, I'd switch my stock out. I used the FailZero NiBo BCG, and while I haven't pushed hundreds of rounds down the barrel, I haven't had any issues. If I wanted to take the "x-factor" out of the way, I'd probably get an AP BCG. I purchased the FZ because I have one in my 300BLK and haven't had any problems there either. It seems like the DPMS fits/sets are the most common, but even within that certain manufacturers have proprietary items.

Good luck. I look forward to following your build. Let me know if you need any help along the way.

CG

Attachments

• 76882791-3A0E-4B39-ACC2-606F7D321CE1.jpeg
    76882791-3A0E-4B39-ACC2-606F7D321CE1.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 21
  • C101520A-93DE-4F87-8298-2709329C2A7D.jpeg
    C101520A-93DE-4F87-8298-2709329C2A7D.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 21
I have an M&P 10 and a few Aero M5s, actually gonna be 4 soon..

The M&P10 is good quality with caveats:

1. Tuned for .308 - they tend to be under gassed on 7.62 ammo, depending what ammo exactly they may not run it. Have heard of people returning them to SW and having it "fixed", we believe by drilling the gas port. Now to be honest I don't think any AR10 really functions right on both 7.62 and .308, but the difference is an over gassed rifle (ie tuned for 7.62, running on .308) generally runs ok with only an occasional FTE and can be tamed petfectly via an adjustable gas block.. an under gassed design (ie tuned for .308, running on 7.62) has no non-intrusive solution beyond maybe an ultra light spring or buffer..

2. The barrel extension, BCG, and gas tube are proprietary: you can change the bolt AND barrel from what I've read, to get to DPMS parts, but are stuck with the gas tube due to the upper design, and therefore the BC due to gas tube dimensions..

3. The lower and upper lugs are proprietary - cannot be used with other uppers or lowers..

I have one, it's great quality, accurate, and very reliable on .308, but I have thought about selling it to stick with a true pattern on more than a few occasions.

Other thing to mention is for whatever reason I could not get a magpul handguard to fit mine right. It just would not snap in. Eventually I went with a UTG quadrail that clamps on and fits these very well. Mine just sports a carry handle sight and a DD front sight atop the gas block. Basically I keep it around as an iron sighted AR10 for variety.

You could of course go to a free float rail. I just didn't want to mess with mine given it's a lifetime warranty if you don't.

Check the bolt compatibility! I've read conflicting accounts whether or not the M&P 10 is compatible with DPMS bolts/bcg's. Supposedly DPMS pattern barrels fit, so if you use a given barrel and buy it as a combo with the bolt, IMHO they should fit. I did a quick search on the M&P 10 receivers and saw a lot of of conflicting information posted by mostly dipshits who don't know what they are talking about. Some things are proprietary for 308-AR's / AR-10's. Unfortunately, a lot of numbskulls are very interested in the big boy AR's and like to post over and over again despite having zero experience.

Fun project. A little more challenging than an AR-15, but barely. I built a DPMS AR-308 in 6.5 CM, starting from a NES group buy port cover LOL. For long distance I suggest the 6.5 Creedmoor and a high quality barrel and bolt plus a Geissele or equivalent match trigger. I used a Premium Series Ballistic Advantage stainless 20" and it's ~1/2 MOA accurate but if I did it again I'd go 24" for the extra velocity. I have a 24" Criterion match barrel I'm going to try.

My BCG is a JP and I'm using the JP high pressure bolt. Everything else is to your preference. I used a JP free float but I like the looks of the Centurion listed above. For a buttstock, Luth AR's has worked very well for me. I think my upper/lower combo is Andersen or something similar- doesn't really matter as the magic is coming from the barrel, bolt, and trigger. I do use the O-ring trick or a twisted wrap of teflon tape on the rear trunnion to lock up the fit between upper and lower. For long distance shooting this will matter.

I suggest getting the barrel, gas block, and gas tube from the same supplier.

If you know someone or a shop with parts, you can check to make sure the upper works with a DPMS style barrel and even check a BCG. I'm in north central Mass- if you ever head out this way or at least to Worcester and want to check a barrel and BCG fit, send me a PM.

Thank you for the information!

That’s a nice build. Ironically, my AR10 6.5 build is ending with the port cover. It’s lost in my parts bins somewhere, so I built it without for now. The barrel is a Faxon 16” gunner, but I’ve been busy finishing up a thesis and haven’t gotten to the range yet to try it out. So I can’t report accuracy of the barrel. Using a sprinco orange with a shorty heavy buffer so I can use a carbine buffer tube.

But all in with optic and bipod, it weighs 9.78lbs without a magazine.

Sorry about the potato quality photo.
View attachment 343164
That's one sexy rifle. How do you like the magpul stock. I was looking at that one, but heard complaints about it having a short pull.

I have an M&P 10 and a few Aero M5s, actually gonna be 4 soon..

The M&P10 is good quality with caveats:

1. Tuned for .308 - they tend to be under gassed on 7.62 ammo, depending what ammo exactly they may not run it. Have heard of people returning them to SW and having it "fixed", we believe by drilling the gas port. Now to be honest I don't think any AR10 really functions right on both 7.62 and .308, but the difference is an over gassed rifle (ie tuned for 7.62, running on .308) generally runs ok with only an occasional FTE and can be tamed petfectly via an adjustable gas block.. an under gassed design (ie tuned for .308, running on 7.62) has no non-intrusive solution beyond maybe an ultra light spring or buffer..

2. The barrel extension, BCG, and gas tube are proprietary: you can change the bolt AND barrel from what I've read, to get to DPMS parts, but are stuck with the gas tube due to the upper design, and therefore the BC due to gas tube dimensions..

3. The lower and upper lugs are proprietary - cannot be used with other uppers or lowers..

I have one, it's great quality, accurate, and very reliable on .308, but I have thought about selling it to stick with a true pattern on more than a few occasions.
Awesome! Thank you for the info. It's mixed reviews on what fits on the M&P

That's one sexy rifle. How do you like the magpul stock. I was looking at that one, but heard complaints about it having a short pull.

Thanks. I like its length of pull, but you can swap out the forward piece for a slightly longer one if you’d like. It works for me in this rifle’s role. But for a strictly precision gun, or for someone with longer arms, it may be lacking.

The stock is very lightweight, which is both good and bad. It kind of throws off the balance, and so I’m thinking of trying a“fixed” B5 SOPMOD to balance it out a little more.

Here it is so far.
I went with the A2 stock and a Magpul grip.
But, after looking at the grip more. I am seeing it's so sitting correctly. And, I am not liking the look.

But, I chose the A2 stock for now, as I love the look.

Attachments

• 20200412_105656.jpg
    20200412_105656.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 18
Here it is so far.
But, after looking at the grip more. I am seeing it's so sitting correctly. And, I am not liking the look.

Wouldn't be my choice as I run stocks in the first couple clicks but they are solid and look cool.

I assume you changed the tube? If so was it a straight forward measurement to put a rifle buffer in there? What are you doing about the spring?

One other odd thing on the M&P is they use what I believe to be an Armalite tube, little longer than a DPMS, and such runs an AR15 buffer instead of the stubby DPMS buffer. Hence a carbine stock never can fully close against the lower. Might be confusing who's pattern is who's but that's the difference.

Here it is so far.

Nice job so far! How many of the parts came in those Easter eggs? 😜

What look are you going for with respect to the grip?

Back
Top Bottom