• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR welcome range

Hi All
I live in Holliston, MA and I am looking for a rifle range that allows AR's.
All the ranges I've found either don't allow high powered rifles or they require a sponsor to get in.
Does anybody know of an AR friendly range in the MetroWest area that I can just join without the sponsor hassle so that I can just shoot my rifles?
Regards,
Jim
Don't allow high power rifles? That's good because you have an AR right?

🙄

And, as somebody mentioned in another related thread, sponsor required clubs are basically not an option now as there's no in-person meetings because of the China virus.
My clubs meeting and accepting members. Not in your area though. But then again.....the last thing we need is another member that just wants to pay dues....shoot.....and screw.

Look....gun clubs keep their rates cheap (about $200 a year on average) because it's volunteer operated. Sponsors are generally required to keep the club from letting in too many guys that want to "shoot and screw" or are not safe shooters. If you want an outdoor range to shoot rifles your probably going to have to re think your motives a bit.

I am a member at MFS but that's handguns only, (technically handgun ammo only).
I guess my main issue with the sponsorship route is that it is way more of a timely hassle than what I was introduced to. On any given day of the month I can go to MFS, join and pay and voila, I'm a member and I can begin shooting right then. Sponsorships into clubs seems to be a one night out-of-the-month shot. My second issue is that, given that I'm not much of a "mingler", it appears to be a daunting task for me, (in reality it may not be, but that's just how I see it). Think about it, I'm to drive over to some clubhouse at night and enter into a roomful of people I have never met and then begin mingling with them hoping somebody will take me up as their sponsor. I'm a guy that keeps very busy with pretty cool things that I create and manufacture, but I enjoy my alone time so I guess I'm an introvert.
For guys like me I like the MFS way when I want to shoot. If they only had a rifle range.
I'm sure there are tons of clubs that would be interested in the cool.things you create and manufacture. Seripusly.... I'd recommend you go to some clubs and talk about that.

I had no idea there were clubs that did not allow ARs???? I must live a sheltered life LOL. The two clubs I belong to are very enthusiastic about all semiautomatic rifles.
I believe he's talking about indoor ranges. But I may be wrong.

Sponsors are generally required to keep the club from letting in too many guys that want to "shoot and screw" ...
What percent of the club's dues income is derived from guys that shoot and screw,
(plus guys that pay dues but haven't made time to even get on the grounds in 2-3 years)?

Money ain't a substitute for a critical mass of volunteers,
but it sucks to not have enough of it to pay the club's bills.

What percent of the club's dues income is derived from guys that shoot and screw,
(plus guys that pay dues but haven't made time to even get on the grounds in 2-3 years)?

Money ain't a substitute for a critical mass of volunteers,
but it sucks to not have enough of it to pay the club's bills.
When I say shoot and screw....I mean f*** up the place and leave. You know.....won't even empty the trash can on the range when it's overflowing. Wont sweep up brass.

We got an email from a brand new member once informing us that the men's bathroom was in need of cleaning and we (the board) should look into it. 😂 he was sent a polite.....yet not so polite.....response that the toilet brush and cleanser are right beside the toilet along with windex and paper towels for the mirror.

Nipmuc Rod and Gun in Upton has an 100 yard outdoor range (all ranges are outdoors there). They are having virtual meetings, but are still taking on new members. I don't think sponsors are required. They used to require some work time, I think 8 hrs. total, but not sure where that stands today.
Rockdale Rod and Gun in Northbridge has an outdoor range (all outdoor ranges here too). The last I knew they had a waiting list for memberships. Not sure why, but I think they limit the membership to 200.

My clubs meeting and accepting members. Not in your area though. But then again.....the last thing we need is another member that just wants to pay dues....shoot.....and screw.

Look....gun clubs keep their rates cheap (about $200 a year on average) because it's volunteer operated. Sponsors are generally required to keep the club from letting in too many guys that want to "shoot and screw" or are not safe shooters. If you want an outdoor range to shoot rifles your probably going to have to re think your motives a bit.
There are plenty of clubs in mass where you can literally pay your dues, shoot clean up after yourself and get the f*** out. If a club wants more than that out of their member base they should just up their dues. I'm going to guess though that the OP is going to be too lazy to drive as far as necessary to get into such Club

Back
Top Bottom