• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR upper decision

btnh6668

NES Member
Building a beater 16" AR. I am between these two. Any opinions on which way i should go?

One is $329 and the spikes is $497. Not sure if there is much quality difference between the two. I have been hard pressed to find anyone really have bad things to say about the deltons for the price but figured id ask anyway.

Can’t you find aero uppers in that price range? I know I recently sold one for less than that spikes.
Ive seen some for $300 not chrome lined and no BCG and handle. After I buy what i need im $100 over the delton. Doesn't seem to make sense. Unless there is a sale for a complete one i just haven't seen. I will do some digging.

Palmetto State Armory has some good deals, for a cheap beater why not?

Your not looking for a go to war AR so these should fit what your looking for?

i've seen take offs, decent "name" ones here in the classifieds for about the same price. no one wants the uppers so cheeeep, cheeeeep, sold!

Building a beater 16" AR. I am between these two. Any opinions on which way i should go?

One is $329 and the spikes is $497. Not sure if there is much quality difference between the two. I have been hard pressed to find anyone really have bad things to say about the deltons for the price but figured id ask anyway.
i can kinda understand the rationale of having such a 1950s design if you'd need to use it in a jungle somewhere, where optics are not the option, but, now, here - a non-free floating handguard and non-removable gas block integrated with a front sight - like, all i can think of is - why?

to buy something cheaper then aero m4e1 is always an option, but, also brings same question - why.

bear creek has sale right now, it may work if you want the cheap.

and they have BCGs for, like, $66.

Bearcreek Arsenal FTW. They make good stuff and stand behind it. Had a wonky spring on a dustcover I got from them and they sent me a new spring and dustcover right away.

Bearcreek Arsenal FTW. They make good stuff and stand behind it. Had a wonky spring on a dustcover I got from them and they sent me a new spring and dustcover right away.
i would not go as far as try to lego bear creek parts with something else, but, as a complete upper with its own bcg - it will most likely work fine.
i have their 22lr upper that shoots ok. not in love with it - but it works fine.

to add to that - i do not recall seeing a complete rifle at such price lately.

i can kinda understand the rationale of having such a 1950s design if you'd need to use it in a jungle somewhere, where optics are not the option, but, now, here - a non-free floating handguard and non-removable gas block integrated with a front sight - like, all i can think of is - why?

to buy something cheaper then aero m4e1 is always an option, but, also brings same question - why.

bear creek has sale right now, it may work if you want the cheap.

and they have BCGs for, like, $66.
Because i already have a 16" with a free floating handguard. So i wanted one with a classic look. I also have 20" uppers in both configurations.

i would not go as far as try to lego bear creek parts with something else, but, as a complete upper with its own bcg - it will most likely work fine.
i have their 22lr upper that shoots ok. not in love with it - but it works fine.

to add to that - i do not recall seeing a complete rifle at such price lately.

Yeah I've only bought complete uppers from them and all worked great. 223 & 7.62x39

So i wanted one with a classic look
if it is not a first one, i would then get something that is indeed classic/authentic then, something like of this kind:

I hate that old style look BUT that seems like a great price. And it includes the BCG and CH? I can’t find anything cheaper in that configuration and with those features.
Well aside from PSA but they don’t ship here so

I have a couple 10.5" SBR uppers (5.56 and x39) from bear creek and they work but they’re far from high quality. But that’s why I don’t care if they get banged up. Plenty accurate

I hate that old style look BUT that seems like a great price. And it includes the BCG and CH? I can’t find anything cheaper in that configuration and with those features.
Well aside from PSA but they don’t ship here so
i am just not seeing much sense in buying something cheap just for the sake of its cheapness, as it will last being interesting maybe couple off days top, and then - it is just an another piece of a cheap crap with no obvious purpose.

i am just not seeing much sense in buying something cheap just for the sake of its cheapness, as it will last being interesting maybe couple off days top, and then - it is just an another piece of a cheap crap with no obvious purpose.
No offense but i wasn't looking for understanding or approval. Just opinions on the two options. Thanks for your input.

At that price range just "buy whatever and cross your fingers. " Might as well flint harder than that even, get a BCA or Radical and really slum it up. You might luck out.

I f***ing hate PSA (for reasons that have nothing to do with the product) but that's probably actually the best quality skinflint deal going. (Shown above) .

If forced to select junk, I'd grudgingly take the psa first.

Flinting > everything though. Different buyers have different priorities. Will it put bullets downrange? Probably. "Sold!!!!" If he's shooting boulders /steel with it at 100yds or firing it into a pond it doesn't have to cost a lot. Sometimes a hammer is just a hammer, and the cheap one is fine if the guy using it doesn't expect much.

Years ago I picked up an Adams Arms (piston upper) in a 7.5” upper and ran it on my registered receiver along with its own SBR lower. Works flawlessly and a great little PDW.

If you want classic, an integral carry handle sight is kinda where it's at. RRA is one of the few off the top of my head who makes them. Yeah this rifle is classic-ish as it's a mid length gas, paddle handle, magpul furniture, but you could do the same with less useful parts. This one has an actual FN barrel, chf and chrome, not the psa stuff that is probably the FN 2nds.

A flat top upper, sure you can add a carry handle sight. They aren't as nice though as the opening is smaller - isn't really a handle in that case, but is a good sight.

Whatever you do, if you are gonna skinflint a flat top upper with an FSB, be happy with it - dumbest thing is to buy that kinda thing then add crazy contraptions to use an optic or to spend time/$$ making it free float later.

20220730_134617.jpg

Back
Top Bottom